“Convenient and Excellent”
Review of Grand Dame Hotel

Grand Dame Hotel
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Iloilo City
Reviewed 1 December 2012

This is my second time to stay here. Although the hotel is pretty strict with the check-in time, they would already process everything for you; so when you return to the hotel after going around or from work, they would already give you your room key- i still think it's hassle free, despite waiting for the exact time for checking in.

Room is very nice, clean and cold. The bathroom is complete with everything and of course, very clean. The entire room including the bathroom is well-lit and well ventilated.

Your room comes with a free breakfast. I must say, the food is okay.

The staff from the owner to the bellboy were very very accommodating. They assist you the details you need and are very helpful.

The only criticism I can give is that there isn't much of a power outlet where you can charge your phone or laptop or any other device that needs to be charged. The first time I stayed here, WiFi is only available at the lobby and at the restaurant. Then on our recent stay, free WiFi was already available in the rooms- although slow, service is improving.

May it be on business trip or vacation, I would always come back to this hotel = accessible to the city, convenient and worth your money.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank silentstar01

Reviewed 30 September 2012

It is my first time to stay in this hotel and I find the location very good, access to public transportation is very convenient and its just right infront of the public market of La Paz where the original local noodle dish "batchoy" was born.

The hotel staff was very accommodation, I felt like I had a big VIP sign over my head! Check was a breeze as if they were already expecting me and I was accompanied to my room. I was so happy to find my room's air conditioner already on and the bellman gave me a brief orientation on the room and happily opened the curtains for me to see the view of he countryside. The room had a mini ref, coffee and tea making facilities, the bathroom had the basic amenities.

I was also given aside from complementary breakfast, they also offered afternoon coffee at the lobby for free during my stay. They breakfast was set breakfast, you can choose what you want and the serving was quite big enough for me. I also had dinner that the hotel's Emilion, that night was Asian buffet and it was good spread for the price.

They hotel had wifi for the guests. Overall, I am happy with the hotel and it was value for money if you are looking for first class accommodations.

Should you stay in this hotel, don't miss to try the batchoy at Deco's and Ted's infront of the hotel. My most delicious FIND in the market was the Brazo de Ube at the corner bakery at the public market, La Paz Bakeshop. It's very good and cheap too. Make sure to bring home a roll aside from all the goodies from Iloilo.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are better if you get annoyed with traffic noise below.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank guideme
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This is a small hotel in the city centre. It's clearly not really a business hotel - the wifi did not work every well (although staff were friendly and reset the router when I rang up, and it worked better after that). The rooms are reasonably small. Although there is blackout curtain on the windows, the light from outside comes in until they turn it off at 11pm. The bathrooms are small but contain all the amenities one would need. The rooms are basic but functional - contain tea and coffee, TV, wardrobes etc. Bed was like a rock but I quite like that. Desk was small. Not too many power points.
Breakfast is odd - no buffet, you choose from a list. The list is really strange - for example, "waffles and bacon" is actually egg and bacon, with waffles and also comes with fruit and tea. Once I figured this out and managed to get my egg and bacon with the waffles on a differnt plate with the fruit it all became a lot more pleasant (not being american). Clearly not set up for anyone other than local Philippino's or Americans - zero options for Europeans; no cereals. But they try hard.
Similarly, the evening buffet was "interesting". It was supposed to be "Asian specialities" but was rather limited and mostly lukewarm. Other than that, would return if I had business here. Not too many other choices in Iloilo!
Hotel has no features though - no pool, gym, business centre. Which would limit the appeal for more than an overnight stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank fairhsa
Reviewed 16 August 2012 via mobile

Good value for your money, clean, great service, plus good food is great! But wait, be warned about the location.... It's across the wet market.
I will still return for the following reasons:
1. Breakfast is absolutely delicious!
2. They give you free snacks ( yummy vegetable chips, pizza, and coffee)
3. Ted's batchoy is right beside the hotel. It's the best noodle soup in the world.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank RonGaby V
Reviewed 26 April 2012

the hotel's tagline is "the finest hotel in iloilo" - and they actually just might be.

the hotel staff was a joy to deal with - from the time we made the booking (easy and very communicative) to the time we left (reserved a cab for us at 4AM, offered to pack us breakfast). they have a no tipping policy which pleasantly surprised us, and honestly we really wish we could tip because everybody was just so nice.

the hotel itself is great. very comfortable. we had our first good night's sleep in a long time. the bed was close to perfect, good aircon - easy to control with pretty accurate temperature readings. the room was fully equipped: cold ref, safe, pot to heat water, free water and coffee. the bathroom was also equally well-stocked: soap, shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste, lotion, cotton buds. nice shower.

the breakfast was not buffet but that's ok. the sit down choices were pretty wide and the servings hefty enough. the breakfast area seemed understaffed at times, but that was not a big issue.

free wifi in the rooms. not the fastest, but 80% of the time it was enough to meet our needs.

we loved the location. from the outside the hotel isn't actually much to look at, being on a bend in front of the la paz market. the lobby isn't luxurious but we had no problems with that because we loved our room. and being right by the market was great for us because we had such easy access to the best batchoy at netong's.

we paid P2,800++ a night and it was worth every centavo. fantastic place. now had they charged their full rate of something like US$100, it may not be exactly have the same good value. at their full price, they should have a tub in each room. but at the promo rate of P2,800, truly a find.

would strongly recommend to anybody going to iloilo. certainly this will always be our hotel of choice from now on

Room Tip: it's by a really busy intersection, so the higher up you go the quieter it will be
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
8  Thank apester
Reviewed 3 February 2012

My uncle from this city booked my husband and me at Grand Dame Hotel since its location was very near the university where I was attending a college homecoming. I really didn't know what to expect from this hotel. It is quite strategically located being near universities/colleges, groceries, church, commercial stores but unlike other hotels with nice surroundings, in front of it across the road is a public market. For me it was not really a minus factor since my husband even enjoyed his hot meal of "La Paz Batchoy", a noodle soup that made the place famous, at the market.

Our deluxe room at the 4th floor was very cozy, with complete amenities and most of all, I really liked its toilet/bathroom which is well designed so as to look and feel spacious and it's very clean. It does not have a bathtub and bidet but that did not make it less nice. Being in the corner side of the building the room is irregularly shaped but the bed and other furniture are well placed. We had a view of the roof of the public market across the road as well as other commercial buildings but from afar we could still see a portion of the famous Balaan Bukid (Blessed Mountain) or Guimaras Island.

The hotel staff were all very accommodating and courteous; and they have a "no tipping policy", this I learned from the staff who saw us to our room.

I could not say much about their restaurant menu since we only had plated breakfast; i hope the hotel will consider having buffet breakfast in the future.

Overall, we had a very relaxing two-night stay at Grand Dame Hotel at a fair price!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ten_11
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Our family has been regular customers of the Grand Dame restaurant located inside at the 3rd floor of the hotel since they regularly offer buffet lunch and dinner. The selection is diverse and they have schedules alloted for International, Japanese and Szpanish buffet,
Aside from the sought after food courses that they offer, I can't help but constantly admire the well-kept, clean and well-lighted atmosphere of the restaurant.
The staff are also very accommodating and helpful with the requests of their customers.
Since we regularly dine during the International buffet, it is the wide assortment of food that make us come back for more. They usually have the plain and the paella rice and the main couse would include chicken, pork, beef and fish. Vegetable salads and other appetizers are also included. Since I have a sweet tooth, I have this constant craving for desserts and this restaurant does not fail me, I so love their Chocolate Decadent Cake and the Filipino-style halo-halo with lots of leche flan!
I highly recommend this resto for families and friends who would like to get together with a hearty meal leaving you so satisfied:)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family