“Decent but noisy”

Ranked #23 of 31 Hotels in Iloilo City
Texas
“Decent but noisy”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel itself is not too bad. The rooms were pretty clean for the most part. And if you like a cold room, the a/c definitely works. It's in a good location if you are looking for a party scene and it's about a 15-20 minute walk from SM mall. The breakfast at the restaurant downstairs is pretty decent. I do recommend the blueberry waffles if you don't mind that they aren't the crunchier/ toasted kind like an Eggo waffle. The unfortunate thing for this hotel is it is next door to a bar called Ice that plays it's music obnoxiously loud. What upsets me most, is that when we checked in, we specifically asked if it was far from the bar. Yes, the room is far from the street but it is definitely not "far enough" from the bar as she said. Unless she is wasn't trained or no one reads reviews, it's very obvious that the bar that everyone has a problem with is ICE. When you check - in make sure you request NOT facing the pool because I can guarantee you at 1:30 am - which is what time i'm currently writing this - you'll be woken up by some loud obnoxious boom boom noise going on outside your window. Also soundproofing doesn't seem to exist because we could basically hear the people next door having a somewhat normal voice conversation. Beware or avoid this place if you value your sleep, piece of mind and are pregnant - because you'll be super irritated in the middle of the night like me.

Room Tip: Any room not facing the pool
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KristiniGee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Cagliari, Italy
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I had read a few reviews mentioning the noise, but I normally don't mind if I'm in a busy place, and it was a Wednesday. When I checked in, the lady at the reception desk quickly mentioned "it's a room facing the entrance, is that fine?", without explaining what that meant.

The room was nice, comfortable and clean. At first, internet seemed not to be working, but apparently it's an automatic error message that you get even if everything is fine (the connection was rather fast, actually). The items in the minibar (softdrinks, chocolates, chips) are reasonably priced, and you get complimentary water and tea/instant coffee.

There's also a swimming pool, which is quite nice given the hot weather.

Then, at about 9pm, I found out what "facing the entrance" really meant. There was a disco-bar right in front of my room, with dozens of teenagers having a loud karaoke party, and obviously no sound-proofing of any sort. I thought it was going to be a couple of hours of so, and it didn't bother me too much. At midnight, no sign of the party being over, I called the reception only to find out that the party would be over at 2am. On a Wednesday, no holiday of any sort. They apologized for not having informed me, but also explained that there was no other room available. The lady kindly offered to bring me a set of earplugs, which I gladly accepted and finally got some rest.

If you really have to / want to stay here, ask in advance if they have any party, and in any case make sure to get a room on the quieter side of the hotel (which I doubt is really "quiet" anyway). Unless of course you're one of the party guests, in which case this might be the ideal place to spend the rest of your night.

Room Tip: Don't get the rooms facing the entrance (and the disco) unless you plan to stay up all night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank shari81
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Located at Smallville - the center of Iloilo night life, where most of the bars and restaurants are. We stayed overnight during our business trip last January at Westown Hotel. Although we did not have chance to explore the hotel and the pool because we were practically out the whole day and we just used our rooms for sleeping, the place seems nice and we had a peaceful sleep. The room is big enough for two, and bathroom have the usual amenities like other hotels. The staff was courteous but service at the restaurant was a bit slow (food was okay).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Anne N
Imus
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I found the place very comfortable and very entertaining because if you want to have fun at night, Westown is surrounded by different bars and food trips can be easily made.

The ambiance is very quiet and relaxing; the staff are very accommodating and the room area is quiet enough. Its so nice to see the sunrise and sunset from above (4th floor).

My stay here last February and December 2013 is truly great.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and bars is recommended.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaAileen
Human Resource O, Manager at Westown Hotel, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Sir,
We are glad to know how you had a pleasant stay with us. We will strive more to be of great service to you again.

Thank You for choosing Mo2 Westown Hotel, thank you for staying with us.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I was born and raised in Iloilo and I also used to sing in the bar that's owned by MO2 as well. I got the chance to stay at this hotel twice. It's not as fancy as the hotels that you might have stayed in in, say, Manila, but the location is a major factor. Not only is it at the heart of Smallville where bars and restaurants are at, it is practically at the heart of everything.

If you are partial to noise (it's a given; it's in the heart of the party central), request for a room that's not fronting the bar. After a rough night of partying, the last thing you would want to happen is travelling to a hotel that's too far.

The staff members are nice. The rooms are okay. The washroom is also clean. You also get free passes to the swimming pool (El Dorado). By the way, if you happen to visit the bar, order for Crispy Pata. That's their specialty. and chat with the waiters and bartenders, they're fun to talk to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not facing the bar and perhaps at least on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GaeaLovesToTravel
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Westown Hotel (aka MO2 hotel) is more like a run down motel

Pros:
-Located near Smallville where Iloilo's nightlife is located

Con:
-Dirty (moldy corners of showers and bathrooms, furniture and bed were not dusted, refrigerators and closets were dusty, cracks on walls)
-Dark
-Smelly. We stayed in the third floor, rooms 321 and 325. The rooms smelled like Chinese food. Eeew! I'm thinking there's a restaurant next door and the hotel gets the brunt of their exhaust pipes when they cook food.
-No view. I opened the windows of rooms 321 and 325. Surprise! You are facing a wall about a foot from your own window. No view, no sunlight.
-Loud. Our friends stayed in room 326. No Chinese food smell. Just the loud sound of bands playing at the bars/restaurants across the street.
-Reception desk staff are clueless, inefficient, and unprofessional. I came by to ask if the Iloilo Museum was open. They said they did not know. No offer to check online. Also, when it came to paying the bill, they did not know what room I was in. How they don't have these in their records? I don't know. If I were dishonest, I could've walked out of there without paying our bill. I also saw several reception desk staff on their phones while on duty (maybe checking out their Facebook or texting their friends).

Bottomline: STAY AWAY! This MOTEL (not hotel) is dirty! Never again!

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel. It's dirty, smelly, old and has poor customer service.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank HAZELoftheNORTH
Dear Guests,
Thank You for sharing your reviews of your stay with us. We apologize if the experience was not satisfying and was not able to meet your standards of expectations.

Your review and assessments has been given utmost consideration. It motivates the management and its staff to continuously improve our facilities and the quality of services that we give to our guests.

At present, we had our place refurbished and made sure that every corner is of its tip top condition and front desks and other staffs are routinely evaluated with the quality service.

We will still be looking forward to seeing you again in our place.

Travellers are raving about these Iloilo City hotels

Quezon City
Reviewed 9 June 2013

The hotel is right in the middle of Iloilo's nightlife. So even if the accommodations are comfortable enough to not want to leave your room, the lights and the sound of bands playing will coax you out. A water park is also just a few steps away from the hotel proper if you just want to escape the heat. Restaurants abound in the area in case you want to have a hearty meal before getting some drinks or just coffee somewhere. And just a short ride away is SM Iloilo where you can catch the van/shuttle for the airport.

Room Tip: Try to get an inner room if you don't want to be disturbed by the bands playing next door.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business