“Beyond Fantastic!”
Review of E.B. Morgan House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aurora
E.B. Morgan House
Ranked #2 of 5 Aurora B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, NY
“Beyond Fantastic!”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

The Morgan House was the best B&B we've ever stayed in, bar none. The grounds are simply stunning - there's a great back porch for relaxation, and you can walk down and sit in some Adirondack chairs right by the water as well. The afternoon glass of wine and snack is a really elegant touch as well. It's just steps down to the Aurora Inn for breakfast, where the food was top-notch. Our room was beautiful as well. You can walk to do some wine tasting at Bet The Farm, and several others are a short drive away. The innkeeper is incredibly nice too - I can't say enough good things about the Morgan House. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BrooklynB

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2011

The EB Morgan House was everything we were expecting. Room 4 was small but I loved the decor. Beautiful Mackenzie Childs chest in the bathroom with a single shower. I loved working modern fireplace in the room that you could turn on/off with a remote! I turned it on in the morning and at night. It made the room glow. This room has excellent light with windows on each side. I especially liked the window in the bathroom that provided great light while showering. In the room, you have two set of windows,one facing the village (east) and another facing the south. You get beautiful sunlight through the east windows in the morning. The tv, dvd, and cd player were cleverly hidden in a wall desk that was multifunctional and elegant. The closet was curved making it spacious and had shelves for placing your items. Overall loved this room.

The second night we stayed in a lake view room 3. It was bigger than room 4 and had a couch and table. The layout of this room was not quite as nice as room 3 but it did have a beautiful view of the lake for sunset and morning light. For some reason I did not like this room as much as Room 4. The bed was awkwardly positioned so that the side table barely fit between the wall. Also the full desk sat between the bed and the bathroom making it difficult to get to the restroom. The canopy bed was angled so that it was difficult to see the tv in the armoire. Overall, the layout of this room was just off. The bathroom was smaller but it did come with a double shower which is fun as both you and your significant other can shower simultaneously.The fireplace also had a glitch and could not be remote controlled. Overall, I would suggest a rearranging of the furniture in this room. Gorgeous view though.

The house itself is beautifully decorated, I wish my house would be designed by this interior decorator! I loved the use of colour throughout the house, in the fabric on the furntiure, flowers, paintings, rugs, etc. Beautiful integration of Mackenzie childs pieces in the rooms, hallways, kitchen countertops and as dishes for enjoying muffins and coffee in the morning (starting at 7am) and wine and cheese at 5-6pm. I love the colour, design, elegance of this place with the right mix of mackenzie childs. The only thing about the decor I did not like were the paint bucket paintings in rooms 3-4. I didnt really care for them, although I do like modern art. They seemed out of place in such a beautifully decorated room.

Wine and cheese was very enjoyable on the backyard facing the lake. They provided a mixture of cheeses and red/white wine for your enjoyment. The sunset was beautiful the second day (first day it was cloudy) but it was a little chilly so do bring a blanket with you to enjoy.

Dale, the innkeeper was helpful and there when you needed him. We had dinner at the Aurora Inn the first night and I found it delicious. Very upscale and pricey. My bf however did not like how they cooked his pasta/lamb and was very unhappy, ruining our dinner. The manager however was aware of his poorly cooked dinner- pasta was undercooked, lamb was also undercooked bloody when he asked for medium WELL and comped us his meal. This restaurant has real potential in the dishes they create, flavor profile was great. Now they just need to be able to execute the chefs creation. Breakfast here was lovely especially out on the patio. The lemoncello pancakes are delicious and are a must have! The french toast was not as good as I had hoped so skip it. Ruby red grapefruit drink to top it all off (stay away from the white grapefruit, it is bitter).

The second day we were able to use the bikes around town. They just received two new mountain bikes that day. The tandem bike was fun and a little challenging to use as you have to coordinate with your significant other but fun nonetheless. The beige mountain bike was made for taller people as the handlebars were a little far from the seat for me. They also have a pier and kayaks but in the spring, the lake was closed. The lake was high due to a lot of rain in the spring so we were unable to use the kayaks. Also the lake is still cold this time of year for swimming. The leaves are barely coming in at this time of year. Summer/fall would be more ideal for visiting.

The little town of Aurora is quaint and quite charming. I love the renovation that happened here and the town should be thankful. It makes the austhetics of the town quite pleasing. The town is small and does not have much in it so dont expect much entertainment here. They have one other place you can have dinner at- Fargo Bar and Grill where most of the locals are. They serve typical bar food- burgers, fries, sandwiches with a couple of daily dinner specials (grilled steak, fish). I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and it was delicious but very filling. I could not finish the entire sandwich. My bf ordered the buffalo chicken sandwich and it was even better. Crispy but not greasy with just enough spice. Excellent! He had it with sweet potato fries. I had the "fargo fries" which were also delicious and homemade with potato skins. Overall enjoyed my meal here but it is very different from aurora inn dinner. The other restaurant in town is pumpkin hill but it is a little further out by car and only opened thurs, fri, sat and sun in the spring when we visited so we were unable to try it.

The tour of mackenzie childs farmhouse is a must and started at 11am. It was filled from top to bottom with furniture, tableware and decor of mackenzie childs. I especially loved the bathrooms and kitchens complete with tiled and drawer pulls. The courtly check room even had a closet shower! That was awesome. Also liked the pink petal bathroom and kitchen. I am sad that the honeymoon pattern is retiring, it looks beautiful. I would however, not decorate my entire house in mackenzie childs. It was a little overkill and by the end I was mackenzie-childed-out. It did however inspire me on which pieces to buy and I left mackenzie childs a happy camper with a beautiful decorative courtly check teapot. The grounds are beautiful and consist of a lake with a gazebo like bench, a goose house and animals (hairy cattle, goose, lamb, peacock, etc) that any child would love. This place was beautifully designed and layed out. Definitely a must see in this town!

We also visited the Montezuma nature reserve and even saw a bald eagle nest for the first time! We did not see much on the nature drive but did see swamp lands and a blue heron! The hike was not as nice as we anticipated and I would skip it next time. We visited nearby wineries. Montezuma had nice fruit/honey wines that I enjoyed. The nicest I saw was Knapp winery. Long point also had a beautiful view of cayuga lake. Goose watch is recommended for the view but we were unable to visit. Heart and Hands (east side of the lake) requires a rsvp during the week unfortunately.

Stay was two nights and perfect for a visit to this lake. Also stopped by Ithaca on the way to and back. Briefly drove through Cornell University, beautiful campus. Had coffee at Ithaca Coffee company and picked up Ithaca beer. Also stopped by Six Mile winery which had a beautiful setting of a valley of grapevines, a small pond and barnhouse tasting room. Would be nice for a small wedding. I did not enjoy their wines as much.

Enjoyed my getaway very much but a bit of a drive from NYC.

7 Thank Brendabruin
Latham, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We took a pre-weekend weekend trip to Aurora after picking up a voucher on LivingSocial and were completely blown away by how excellent th E.B Morgan House was. The house (having recently received a multi-million dollar renovation) is stunning, with gorgeous furniture and finishes. The room had a gas fireplace and a beautiful bathroom.

The air conditioning is a little loud, but we weren't bothered by it as we like a little background noise when we sleep. In addition to breakfast vouchers for the nearby Aurora Inn, there are delicious complimentary fresh-baked muffins and coffee in the kitchen each morning, and wine & cheese each afternoon.

The view out over the lake is beautiful, although we were unlucky in that clouds blocked our view of the sunset. They have numerous tables and chairs on the back porch and in the yard leading down to the lake, offering a variety of places to sit and take in the view.

The voucher also included money toward a meal at the Aurora Inn, and our dinner was fantastic. We had lamb chops and pork chops and both were cooked perfectly. The side dishes were a perfect match for each meal and all around it was the perfect meal.

All in all, it was a spectacular getaway and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have the best view.
3 Thank russig
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We loved the E.B. Morgan house. The inn is absolutely beautiful right on Cayuga lake. We've stayed at many bed and breakfasts and this one was top notch. They truly pay attention to every detail here including complimentary wine and cheese at night and chocolates each night on your bed for turn-down service. The town of Aurora is extremely quaint and peaceful. We loved eating breakfast and dinner at the Aurora Inn that was within short walking distance form the E.B. Morgan house. The lemon ricotta pancakes were amazing! I only wish we had a few more nights to continue to enjoy this slice of heaven.

1 Thank Love2Travel1101
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 1 May 2011

My husband and I stayed the weekend at the E.B. Morgan house and completely fell in love. Before we even entered the house we knew it was going to be amazing - and it really didn't disappoint. Every detail is looked after and you get the real sense that this is a space that is lovingly looked after. The outside is a beautifully kept up stone mansion with an inviting porch set up with several comfy chairs and a massive green lawn in the front. From the back, views of stunning Cayuga Lake and a rolling lawn dotted with pairs of Adirondac chairs in the back. We were greeted by Dale, the weekend innkeeper, who was all smiles as he opened the door for us as we walked up the front stairs. It very much felt like you were arriving at a friend's home and they were looking forward to seeing you. Although we'd missed the nightly wine and cheese by about a 1/2 hour, Dale still offered us delicious local wine that we enjoyed as he toured us around the house. There are sitting rooms on the first floor with overstuffed couches, lots of books and games that you can hang out in if you want the company of other couples staying at the house or if you're there with a group. We were looking to have some alone time and never felt like we needed to socialize if we didn't want to. The back porch also has amazing seating space and looks out onto the lake. Dale took us up to our room (204) which is a corner room a couple flights up. Waiting for us there were chocolate covered strawberries and bottle of wine. And while there was not a direct view of the lake, we still could catch a glimpse through one of the windows. One night we kept the shutters open and were waken up by gorgeous morning sunshine. The second night we forgot to open them up and the room stayed nice and dark (in case you don't like waking to the sun!) The room is well appointed and the perfect size, bathroom is good sized with an excellent shower. They provide Aveda toiletries and cozy robes. The bed has the softest linens ever! Dale was the perfect combination of being available when you needed for whatever you needed and then inobtrusive when we just wanted to get on our way. We had lovely conversations with him, he provided good recommendations based on what we were interested in. He really made our stay even more wonderful. On our second night we were there for the wine and cheese, which we enjoyed from a pair of Adirondac chairs in the back. It was the quintessential relaxing experience. A light breeze coming off the lake, the sun setting in front of us, delicious wine and cheese. I can't say enough how lovely it was.

Room Tip: non-direct lake view room is great, too!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank shoeshiny
Glen Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The facilities were spectacular, impeccably decorated both inside and out. Comfort at every turn with spectacular views of sunrise and sunsets. Attention to every detail in design and execution. Our Host was truly one step ahead of us at every turn, making the stay truly unique and superior to any other trip we have taken.
This was a special trip for me and my partner, a time to reacquaint ourselves with each other after having been separated for some time. This trip helped us to find and solidify our relationship again. ..Memories made extra special because of all that the E.B Morgan House offers.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GordsKatie
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The EB Morgan House is like a dream come true. Lovely furnishings, art work and fanciful MacKenzie Childs pieces. A smart, diligent caring staff that knows how to cosset people. From start to finish,, a total delight. Afternoon wine on the back porch overlooking Cayuga Lake is not to be missed. Make sure to have dinner on the patio at Aurora Inn and to take the farmhouse tour of MacKenzie Childs. Kudos to all!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Catapano
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Gould Hotel
#7 of 11 in Geneva
Cayuga Lake Front Inn
Cayuga Lake Front Inn
#9 of 17 in Ithaca

Been to E.B. Morgan House? Share your experiences!