“Good overall but a few misses”
Review of The Aurora Inn

The Aurora Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Aurora B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Location is perfection! Wish I could say the same for the inn. The good: clean, beautifully appointed, great food, stunning views. The bad: uncomfortable bed and pillows, AM staff absentminded and unfocused, and shower was a bit small with outdated fixtures that didn't match the rest of the inn. Too many misses for the price in my opinion - a high price to pay for 2 less than awesome nights of sleep. Would visit Aurora again but would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank TopAnd2K

Reviewed 13 February 2012

I seldom write reviews,but my husband and I have started traveling to small inns a few time a year to just "get-away." I found this small Inn while on a wine tour in another town. I made reservations months in advance. The reservation system was pretty poor at first as they said they double booked my room due to a computer error,, but it worked out in the end after they agreed to make some much needed changes to rectify the situation.

We had the BEST much needed relaxing weekend ever!! We stayed at the EB Morgan house and was so pleasantly surprised by the exquisite well appointed renovations of this gorgeous home! It was warm and inviting and the Inn Keeper was very knowlegable of the history of the home and community. I can't say enough about the high quality amenities and service. The dinner in the dining room at the Aurora Inn was some of the best meals we've had. All in all this was worth every bit of our hard earned money and would do it again!!!

Room Tip: any room is a good room
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The Aurora Inn is everything BUT disappointing. From the friendly employees, to the breathtaking views... this Inn has little competition. The property overlooks a beautiful lake with complimentary kayaks, kayaking at sunset.... life doesn't get more beautiful than that. The room was clean and stunning. Attention to detail is certainly important to the employees at the Inn. The dining on the deck was perfect as well. I have endless good things to say about my experience at Aurora, we will certainly be back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I never write reviews, but I wanted to write on about the Aurora Inn. This was such a great weekend experience! Everything was beautiful, clean, the staff was soooo friendly and the setting was great (even on a cold, dreary weekend). If you can - set up a wine tasting with Ben & Meryl. It was a great way to experience the fingerlake wines and learn a little about the area. Definately go and check out Aurora - its a bit out there - but that makes it all the better:)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just returned home from a great weekend in Aurora, NY. I knew nothing about Aurora before I visited, but am so glad to have gotten to know a little about this gem of a town. The anchor of this town might be Wells College, but our anchorage was at the Aurora Inn, owned by Wells College. With a heritage that originates with Henry Wells (of Wells Fargo, et al) and picks up again in 2001 with a benefactor who re did this charming old hotel into a destination that we'll be looking forward to returning to.

Room Tip: Ask for the lakeview rooms as the front rooms are lit by street lights. The view is great over the l...
1  Thank lewistonclark
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed at the Aurora Inn the beginning of January and have nothing but great things to say about it. There really is so much to compliment them on. From the way my guest and I were greeted upon our arrival (and walked to our room), to the decor and arrangement of the room, everything was perfect.

You could say that I am a discerning customer; I suppose I have an idea in my head about how things should be, especially when it comes to B&Bs and Inns. I have to say Aurora Inn surpassed all of my expectations. I'm sure it had a lot to do with the room I stayed in (#4). It was absolutely amazing - the quaint balcony and view of the lake (even though freezing) was beautiful. I really liked the fact that the entrance to the outdoor patio had a hallway between the room and outside, acting as a buffer from the frigid air. The options of lighting were very well thought out, and really help set the mood of a cozy winter getaway. The complimentary coffee and muffins before breakfast was such a pleasant surprise. And even way into the night, when I made a call downstairs to see if there was any way to get a snack, the young lady informed me that although the kitchen was closed, she was more than happy to go into the Village Market and get me something. I was honestly blown away at the hospitality and accommodations.

Both the servers in the restaurant were unbelievable. They did everything to make my dinner a great one. From the outstanding service to extra attention, they really outdid themselves. Plus, the food was exceptional. By far the best scallops I've ever had - cooked to perfection. My guest and I liked it so much we decided to stay an extra day. When we finally did leave, we were sad. Although a long trip from NYC, it was well worth it!

I will, however, add a disclaimer and say that my great experience might have had something to do with the fact that it was winter, right after New Years, and didn't seem to be at high capacity. I'm not sure if I would have received the attention I did if it had been peak season, but I like to think I would have.

Room Tip: I think Room 4 (lakeview with a fireplace and a queen size bed) is the best. You get tons of sunligh...
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I prefer modern, sleek hotels when I travel, but I must say the accomodations at the Aurora are very modern, clean and sleek, while still giving an "inn" feel. The fireplace was wonderful. We stayed in room #4 which is one of the best in the inn. The only reason that there are not 5 stars is that they have no in room refridgerator or microwave, ice machine, coffee...so if you are hungry after the restaurants close, 9p, in the country, you will be hungry till the morning. Staff was GREAT, even made us tea at night. Our deal (livingsocial) came with a full breakfast, which was delicious. It also came with a dining credit. It was Thanksgiving eve so we chose the Fargo Cafe across the street where the servers were confused about the dining credit and way overcooked our pub burgers. I'd not go back to that cafe. There is a winery/local store called Bet The Farm next door and the owner is nice. It is about 1.5 hrs from everywhere good, as you have to drive around all the lakes to get to each shore, or Rochester or Syracuse. About half hour from Ithaca. One of the best Thanksgivings and vacations Ive ever had.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank F G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aurora
The Gould Hotel
10 Fitch Luxurious Romantic Inn
Los Gatos Bed & Breakfast
Los Gatos Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 12 in Penn Yan

Been to The Aurora Inn? Share your experiences!