What I Liked Most: The food - even the buffet was excellent
What I Liked Least: Gym is closed during the day; housekeeping ignores the "Do Not Disturb" sign; wifi
Stayed here for 5 days on business. Overall, this resort hotel is nicely designed. It's in a good location with a fabulous lagoon, and close to plenty of good restaurants. Rooms are not spacious but of a comfortable size and come with a balcony. I didn't care much for the acrylic chairs. There is a pleasant pool area where you can also have a drink and a snack.
Breakfast is decent with plenty of fresh fruit as you might expect. There is a good a la carte restaurant. I usually tend to avoid hotel buffets, but here, the food was excellent. Each night there is a different theme to the buffet, but the food is always top quality. On my first night, there was a bottle of bubbly on ice when I got back to my room after dinner.
The gym is only open from 900 until 1900, which is kind of hopeless if you are there on business, as I was. I asked at reception if I could use the gym after this time, and they said I could. But when I did, I received several interrogations and it was made clear to me that I was absolutely not welcome there.
I got rather irritated that housekeeping ignored the "Do Not Disturb" sign. The shower is rather awkward and you have to turn it on while you are in the shower, so I didn't really appreciate that all the knobs and settings were changed each time. I told the hotel management who feigned surprise that this was possible, and insisted it wouldn't happen again. Which it did. Frequently.
The wifi is rather painful. It drops constantly, and there is a slightly laborious sign-in process each time, which is supposedly to combat the threat of terrorism. This must win a prize for the silliest example of a rule in the name of security.
If I'd been on holiday, I would have given it 4*, but the stupid gym timings lost another *.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the western coast of this lush volcanic island, LUX* Saint Gilles (formerly LUX* Ile de La Reunion) faces a shimmering expanse of aqua-blue waters, fringed by a stretch of immaculate sands. Tucked away in acres of beautiful tropical gardens, Creole villas sit in the shade of coconut palms and filao trees, just steps from the coral-sheltered lagoon at L'Hermitage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your LUX* Saint Gilles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Ile De La Reunion Hotel Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
- LUX* Saint Gilles Reunion Island/Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains