“Excellent Staff and Great Stay”
Review of LUX* Saint Gilles

LUX* Saint Gilles
Telluride, Colorado
“Excellent Staff and Great Stay”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Spent a week at the LUX Réunion. I was new to the island and not a French speaker, but the hotel staff were great assisting me with anything I needed. The hotel sits on a very nice coral beach with a lagoon, and has a huge, very clear and clean pool. Nice room. I appreciated the quiet and effective air conditioner as it got a little warm outside in the middle of the day. The food was exceptional, especially breakfast with crepes made to order. Overall, a really great stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to share your experience of LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
We are all looking forward to welcome you back in a close future.
Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We picked the LUX* for our honeymoon in Reunion and we couldn’t have made a better choice. The hotel is set in a stunning area of the island with some of the best beaches (the hotel itself has a private one). The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful and attentive, but not too intrusive and they all spoke English to us, although we also tried to practice our rusty French at times. The room was extremely clean, very comfortable and up to the standard of a 5 star establishment. Service prompt and impeccable. The hotel has 3 restaurants, the best one being “La Plage”, more informal by the beach, but with a stunning menu of typical “carrys” cooked on a wood open fire and grilled fish. There we had our last, and best dinner of the holiday. The food in general was very good (the breakfast is an amazing spread) albeit a tad overpriced, especially at the bar by the pool. But the hotel is located in one of the most buzzing areas of the island so there are plenty of restaurants at 5 minutes-walk, so no risk of getting bored. The hotel has bike and car renting facility, a stunning pool (that we didn’t try, though, as the sea was so nice it seemed a shame not to take advantage), gym, library, tennis and volleyball grounds and much more. Internet connection is free both in the rooms and in all the communal areas. 2 nights a week the garden by the beach becomes an open-air cinema screen and other entertainments are organized regularly. We had an incredible almost perfect holiday, only one bad note: one night we were kept awake by a Wedding party that went on more loudly and way over the time agreed, however the Manager of the Reception handled the incident excellently by apologizing and giving us a more than fair compensation for the trouble. I think it is important to note that we stayed there in a low season period which we believed was the best choice as the hotel was not overcrowded the atmosphere was very quiet and relaxing and all the facilities of the hotel were easily accessible. We hope to go back to the beautiful Ile Bourbon one day, but one thing is sure, if we will, we will stay at the Lux*. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to share your LUX* Ile de la Réunion experience.
I am glad to see we have been able to meet your experiences.
I sincerely hope we will have the luck to welcome you back in the future.
Atlantic Beach
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

This is the best place to stay on the Island. I visited a few other hotels during my stay and some of my friends visited me and we all agreed. It is located on the west side of the island, which apparently has the most sun. The grounds are beautiful, right on the ocean. In fact it is a lagoon that is protected by a reef, which is very safe to swim and snorkel. No current and no sharks. Great to watch sunsets. The breakfast buffet is one of the best I have ever seen and their bread station is the best I have ever tasted. Lot's of fresh fruit, salmon, cheese, fresh juices and smoothies, crepes, omelets, Chinese dumplings, soup, creole food and the list goes on and on.
All rooms have a view of the ocean. They are located in various buildings throughout the property. 6 rooms to a building, with the superior rooms on the ground floor and deluxe rooms on the first floor. Internet is included and works well in the rooms and on the property, even on the beach. The pool is nice and big and the juice bar offers free phone calls anywhere in the world provided you do not call your work place. Large water bottles are complementary.
Several restaurant options are available. The dinner buffet changes every night and the one I had was fantastic. For 45 euros not cheap, but very good. I also went to their beach restaurant, which was also very good. Again, not cheap but what can one expect from a 5 star hotel. There are however cheaper dining options available nearby. Several times a week, they have a secret bar on the property, with a combination lock and a riddle to find the code. If you find it and solve the riddle you can help yourself to the drinks, which are free for non-alcoholic and 2 euros for alcoholic drinks. There is also usually free lemonade around during the day as well. The staff is very nice and most speak English according to their name tags, however since I speak French, I have not tested it.
In summary, best hotel on the island, rooms were large, internet included, friendly staff and good food. What more do you want? I would go back there any time.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for your great review about LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
We aim for quality & guest satisfaction so you cannot imagine how happy I was when I shared your feedback with the team.
We feel very happy as it seems we have been able to meet your expectations.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a close future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The LUX is a large property, with Creole-style houses serving as the hotel rooms. I was on the second floor of one of them, about 4 houses away from the main building. This place struck me as being quite similar to an all-inclusive resort that you'd find in the Caribbean - all of the dining facilities, pool, bar and lobby facilities were in the central building, and the houses stretched out in both directions along the sandy beach. La Reunion island is not known for its beaches, but this hotel does lie in one of the areas with a nice beach. The property has a lot to offer, but likely its problems arise from the fact that it is in such a remote position in the world. Irons and ironing boards are not available in the rooms, and you are expected to make the trek to a room by the front desk to do your ironing. (I know, not too many people iron at all, but I do!) The wireless internet is OK in areas, but doesn't pick up in others. One day, my room was not serviced at all. I found some of the staff to be enormously helpful, while others treated me as if I was absolutely crazy to ask for certain things. (like the iron!) On the plus side, a bathtub! The buildings are a bit tired, but in spite of this, the property presents itself as one that is upscale that you can trust. What it boils down to is that if you are very busy with a tight schedule, the distances between house and main area can get irritating. If you are here on a vacation, the relaxed atmosphere is just perfect! The chaise lounges and seating on the beach are a delightful touch, and that's definitely where the party is!

Room Tip: As always, near or facing the beach would be a good request. If you like quiet privacy, the farther...
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to write your review after your stay at LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
I would like also to present you sincere apologies for the inconveniences you met.
We aim for quality and guest satisfaction so we shared your feedback with the management in order to take decision to improve our service.
At LUX* Ile de la Réunion, we are pleased to offer access to the public beach of l'Ermitage which is one of the best on the island maybe the most beautifull one.
I do regret it did not meet your expectations.
Dear Guest, once again please accept our sinceres apologies.
We do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future.
Chef de Réception
Muri bei Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed for two weeks and really enjoyed it. The staff did everything to make us happy, was always helpful and when they once made a mistake, the arranged us a romantic dinner. Food was great, the buffet is great and the two restaurants are also super. Rooms and whole hotel is clean, and the best is the lagoon, where you can swim in safety. There is a coral reef right in front of the hotel with lots of fish and some stupid tourist which directly stay onto these corals so that they break :-(. Maybe not comparable with 5 stars Hotels in e.g. Europe, but high standard. Also, car rental location is directly in the hotel.

We also went 8 days hiking in the basins and the volcanoes, which is HIGHLY recommended...

Only negative point is the price...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to write your review.
We have been delighted to welcome you and pleased to read you had enjoy your stay at LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
Looking forward to welcome you back in a close future.
Reviewed 28 September 2013

What I Liked Most: The food - even the buffet was excellent

What I Liked Least: Gym is closed during the day; housekeeping ignores the "Do Not Disturb" sign; wifi

Stayed here for 5 days on business. Overall, this resort hotel is nicely designed. It's in a good location with a fabulous lagoon, and close to plenty of good restaurants. Rooms are not spacious but of a comfortable size and come with a balcony. I didn't care much for the acrylic chairs. There is a pleasant pool area where you can also have a drink and a snack.

Breakfast is decent with plenty of fresh fruit as you might expect. There is a good a la carte restaurant. I usually tend to avoid hotel buffets, but here, the food was excellent. Each night there is a different theme to the buffet, but the food is always top quality. On my first night, there was a bottle of bubbly on ice when I got back to my room after dinner.

The gym is only open from 900 until 1900, which is kind of hopeless if you are there on business, as I was. I asked at reception if I could use the gym after this time, and they said I could. But when I did, I received several interrogations and it was made clear to me that I was absolutely not welcome there.

I got rather irritated that housekeeping ignored the "Do Not Disturb" sign. The shower is rather awkward and you have to turn it on while you are in the shower, so I didn't really appreciate that all the knobs and settings were changed each time. I told the hotel management who feigned surprise that this was possible, and insisted it wouldn't happen again. Which it did. Frequently.

The wifi is rather painful. It drops constantly, and there is a slightly laborious sign-in process each time, which is supposedly to combat the threat of terrorism. This must win a prize for the silliest example of a rule in the name of security.

If I'd been on holiday, I would have given it 4*, but the stupid gym timings lost another *.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to write your review.
I would like also to present you sincere apologies as it seems we haven’t be able to meet your expectations, we feel very sorry about it.
Your feedback is very important for us that is why we took it very seriously in consideration.
We shared it with the management in order to take the right decisions to avoid this kind of issues.
Nevertheless we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We spent just over a week on the island of Reunion and I was beyond blown away by the incredible setting of this hotel as well as the service. Firstly, there's a big difference between Mauritius and Reunion and trying to compare the two is not giving either any justice. I found Reunion a lot more of an adventure island where Mauritius is a resort destination. The hotel was perfect - you could literally snorkel as you walked into the pristine water just off the hotel bar. Incredible coral and tropical fish. The rooms are renovated and luxuriously modern - I had room 148 and enjoyed having breakfast on my balcony. The room even had it's own hammock! We were shooting my #OnlinePresenterSearch and were a group of about 15 and the hotel managed to make us all feel very special and well looked after. We'll be back soon!

1 Thank Jo-Ann S
Cyrild572, Responsable réception at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Guest,
I know how your time is important so I would like to thank you very much to share on tripadvisor your experience of LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
I have been delighted to read your review & to share it with my colleagues, you cannot imagine the positive impact of your words.
We habe been really proud to welcome you for your shooting and now we sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future, maybe this time for holidays.
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
Hotel Le Recif
Akoya Hotel & Spa
Akoya Hotel & Spa
#4 of 5 in La Saline les Bains
Blue Margouillat Seaview Hotel

Been to LUX* Saint Gilles? Share your experiences!