“An oasis of calm & beauty”
Review of LUX* Saint Gilles

LUX* Saint Gilles
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed on my own at this superb hotel for two weeks. I was here for business as an artist. I chose this hotel mainly because I do not speak French and knew that some hotel staff could help me and the fact they would help with arranging tours etc. Although the trip was expensive, I just fell in love with this lovely hotel.
It was wonderful arriving after a long journey, I was greeted with a freshening cloth and two glasses of ginger & lemon drink (sublime!). I have been to many places, Hotel LUX lle de la Reunion easily beat them all from calm, serene, beauty, cleanliness helpfulness, friendly staff and the food was out of this world. From my veranda I was able to watch the waves rolling on the reefs, the tropical birds, trees swaying in the breeze. To get to the beach was a wonder, I was literally a few paces away from swimming amongst the corals, fish etc. The swimming pool was crystal clear lined with lovely tiles. I could have stayed in the pool for hours, but the beach, snorkelling, marvellous forests, volcano, waterfalls all beckoned, so that I only had time for a few lengths in the enormous pool! I would like to make a special mention of most of the staff. They were so friendly and I did feel they really wanted me to have an enjoyable stay. As I do not drive abroad, the incredibly helpful concierge arranged most of my trips for me. Always saying "You're welcome" every time I thanked them, the same can be said for the receptionists.
The food was truly 'out of this world', it was just divine helped by friendly waiters & waitresses. There wasn't an excessive amount of food on display, it was just right and everything had a taste of top quality.
During sunsets, I'd wandered down to the beach with a cup of tea I'd made in my room, took photos of the sunset, then had a swim in the pool.
If there is just the one thing that let the hotel down, it is the bread at breakfast time occassionally being covered with sparrows. Perhaps the waiters could slice up the bread and keep under cover like the other rolls/cakes.
I recommend the coconut water drink served on the beach. The waiter then cuts up the coconut for you eat the flesh of the nut.
I hope the hotel continues to care for the environment, especially being so close the the coral reefs. I truly hope too that I will visit this hotel again one day.

Room Tip: Looking at the hotel rooms, they are all spaced out within lovely hotel grounds, I feel most are equ...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank richardbL9306MA
LUXReunion, Directeur général at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the LUX* Ile de la Réunion team, I would like to thank you very much for you review. It is a real pleasure to see that you had a great time and that we made your business trip as pleasant as possible.
I am happy to see that you had the opportunity to enjoy all our facilities and what we propose during your stay from our Softly Softly (with our homemade Lemonade) to our gorgeous swimming pool.
I was delighted to share your comments with our staff that were very happy.
We are looking forward to welcome you again maybe for the holidays this time.

Stéphane Baras
Directeur Général

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Lux hotel in Reunion is very nice, comfortable, clean and very well
situated. The staff are all very friendly and make a huge effort to speak
English and assist with anything. People are very laid back and nobody
bothers you and it seems quite safe to walk around the area. On the downside Reunion is a very expensive destination.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Cynthia P
LUXReunion, Directeur général at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taken to share on tripadvisor.com your experience following your stay with us.
We aim for quality & guest satisfaction so your review is really important for us.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a close future.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

A wonderful breakfast - a vast array of food to choice from. There is the option of swimming in the beautiful pool or the lagoon. Very nice rooms, but no wi-fi in the rooms (it can be picked up on the balcony or in the main area of the hotel). Overall a great experience.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paniri
LUXReunion, Resident Manager at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of LUX* Ile de la Reunion on TRIPADVISOR.
We aim for quality and guest satisfaction so I would like to thank your for your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in a close future.
Sincerely Always,
Marie-Lucie Ajax
Resident Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed for 4 nights before moving on to the Lux, Le Morne in Mauritius (special deal as we stayed at 2 Lux hotels). We had a prestige room (98) with a balcony on the first floor with views over the lawns and trees to the beach. The room was excellent but it lacked storage for clothes - there was too much wardrobe space so it would be much better if one side were made into shelves.

The main restaurant, L’Orangine, was closed in the evenings whilst we were there so we ate in La Cuisine or La Plage. The food and service was excellent. Do try the Rum arrange in La Cuisine, carefully mixed by Vincent, (?) an excellent waiter. All the staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

The pool and beach are fabulous, although it was rather windy whilst we were there. We recommend that you take a helicopter ride over the cirques and volcano – it’s a truly awesome flight. We also did a day tour in a 4WD to the volcano. We walked to the weekly market in St Gilles which was most interesting.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NovaTravels-net
LUXReunion, Directeur général at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for sharing your experience on TRIPADVISOR following your stay at LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
I have been delighted to read your review but also to share it with all of the Team Members.
I am of course 100% agree with you when you recommend the helicopter tour, it's one of the must do/see in our wonderfull island.
Looking forward to welcome you back in a close future.
I remain at your disposal for any matters.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel could really be in any Indian Ocean island location... the staff are friendly, the breakfast buffet is really very good, the rooms are a good size, the pool area is great (apparently the largest pool on the whole of the island), it's right on the beach, the car park is large if you have a rental car (and in fact you can hire cars from the hotel), the cocktails are really good, they are happy to help you arrange excursions, well-equipped gym, good wi-fi connection, delicious homemade lemonade available all day for free in reception. It's located just about 10 minutes' drive from the centre of St Gilles les Bains, which is fantastic in my opinion because you have all that on your doorstep should you wish to visit and yet it's lovely and peaceful in the hotel. It's possible to walk to Ermitage les Bains in about 15 minutes. We did not eat in the hotel during the evening because we wanted to get out and see what was around. We travelled in April and there is plenty open so you do not have to stay in the hotel by any means. This was our first visit to a Lux hotel and I would definitely look at others in the future based on this trip!

Room Tip: Best views probably from the first floor rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca S

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for your kind attention.
We aim for quality & guest satisfaction so you cannot how your feedback is important for us, you give us the possibility to improve our service.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in a close future.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

great location (close to many various hikes and sightseeing), very nice people in staff, very nice food, nice lagune with possibility of swimming and nice snorkeling, huge swimming pool, nice beach (maybe not too flat).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you very much for the time taking to share your review following your stay at LUX* Ile de la Réunion.
We are delighted & proud to see you had enjoy your stay with us.
We all look forward to welcome you back in a close future, in order once again to help you to celebrate life.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

This has been our 5th trip to the hotel, and what a difference a few years make! The management seem to have become complacent, and are trading on their past reputation. Nothing is quite right anymore. The service is slow. We had to call 3 times to get our TV fixed. They did not accommodate our request of ground floor adjacent rooms despite us having book over 6 months ahead of our trip. The hotel looks shabby. The paintwork on the outdoor banister leaves a lot to be desired for and in fact the wood is so rough that I got a splinter in my finger. some of the alleys have got missing slabs. Attention to details is definitely not that of a 5 star hotel. Despite having booked a room for 3 we only got towels for 1, and blankets for just one of the beds. The cupboard doors don't run very smoothly and look old and tired. Whilst most of the staff and especially the cleaning staff are nice and polite, quite a few of them are a bit too smug and condescending. Finally for today, the food!! Tonight we went to the fish buffet at 45 euros a head you would expect something half decent, well there again you would be disappointed. Although there was lots of choice, the quality of the products was not worthy of the price we paid. It was clear that these fish had spent more time in a freezer than in the sea in the days preceding the buffet. As for the deserts they were nothing to write home about except perhaps for the creme brulee. The rest felt just like these little mignardises that you can get from Picard in France and defrost just a few hours before your guest arrive. It was definitely not home cooking, but processed food. Very disappointing for a so called 5 star hotel. I think the name of the hotel is not reflected in the quality of the offerings. This is definitely not "Luxe"! the management should be careful not to rest on their pas laurels as it won't take long before people realise that this hotel does not deliver what it sets out to do. Although the hotel is currently fully booked I anticipate that this will change very soon. Customers who pay that kind of money will expect the best and only the best. The management should be prepared to invest more in the regular maintenance of the hotel and training of its staff to ensure that the hotel returns to its former glory when it was truly a real pleasure and unique experience to stay here. As it stands it runs the risk of loosing its clientelle and of becoming just any other hotel. I don't think we will be coming back unless we hear of significant changes. What a shame as we have such good memories based here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Brigitte B
LUXReunion, Directeur général at LUX* Saint Gilles, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Guest,
I would like to present you sincere apologies.
It seems we haven't be able to meet your expectations for this 5th stay in our property, we feel very sorry for this.
We aim for quality & guest satisfaction that is why we share your review with the management in order to improve the quality of our services.
We took also the initiative to send you a "private" message in order to get more specific informations. We do need your help in order to find the right solution.
I know & I can understand that a simple mail, perhaps, won't change the picture you have of the hotel now but I promise you we all look forward to welcome you back in a close future in order to propose you the kind of stay you deserve & you can expect when you stay in our hotel.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.
We all remain at your disposal.
Stéphane Baras,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
Hotel Boucan Canot
Iloha Seaview Hotel
Iloha Seaview Hotel
#2 of 3 in Saint-Leu
Relais de l'Hermitage Saint-Gilles
Relais de l'Hermitage Saint-Gill...
#10 of 19 in Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains

Been to LUX* Saint Gilles? Share your experiences!