I stayed on my own at this superb hotel for two weeks. I was here for business as an artist. I chose this hotel mainly because I do not speak French and knew that some hotel staff could help me and the fact they would help with arranging tours etc. Although the trip was expensive, I just fell in love with this lovely hotel.
It was wonderful arriving after a long journey, I was greeted with a freshening cloth and two glasses of ginger & lemon drink (sublime!). I have been to many places, Hotel LUX lle de la Reunion easily beat them all from calm, serene, beauty, cleanliness helpfulness, friendly staff and the food was out of this world. From my veranda I was able to watch the waves rolling on the reefs, the tropical birds, trees swaying in the breeze. To get to the beach was a wonder, I was literally a few paces away from swimming amongst the corals, fish etc. The swimming pool was crystal clear lined with lovely tiles. I could have stayed in the pool for hours, but the beach, snorkelling, marvellous forests, volcano, waterfalls all beckoned, so that I only had time for a few lengths in the enormous pool! I would like to make a special mention of most of the staff. They were so friendly and I did feel they really wanted me to have an enjoyable stay. As I do not drive abroad, the incredibly helpful concierge arranged most of my trips for me. Always saying "You're welcome" every time I thanked them, the same can be said for the receptionists.
The food was truly 'out of this world', it was just divine helped by friendly waiters & waitresses. There wasn't an excessive amount of food on display, it was just right and everything had a taste of top quality.
During sunsets, I'd wandered down to the beach with a cup of tea I'd made in my room, took photos of the sunset, then had a swim in the pool.
If there is just the one thing that let the hotel down, it is the bread at breakfast time occassionally being covered with sparrows. Perhaps the waiters could slice up the bread and keep under cover like the other rolls/cakes.
I recommend the coconut water drink served on the beach. The waiter then cuts up the coconut for you eat the flesh of the nut.
I hope the hotel continues to care for the environment, especially being so close the the coral reefs. I truly hope too that I will visit this hotel again one day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the western coast of this lush volcanic island, LUX* Saint Gilles (formerly LUX* Ile de La Reunion) faces a shimmering expanse of aqua-blue waters, fringed by a stretch of immaculate sands. Tucked away in acres of beautiful tropical gardens, Creole villas sit in the shade of coconut palms and filao trees, just steps from the coral-sheltered lagoon at L'Hermitage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your LUX* Saint Gilles reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Ile De La Reunion Hotel Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains
- LUX* Saint Gilles Reunion Island/Saint-Gilles-Les-Bains