“Good Location in Cluj”
Review of Ramada Cluj

Ramada Cluj
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Cluj-Napoca
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here for a night in March. The hotel has a fresh and modern look so those of you who enjoy minimalistic designs will surely love the hotel. The rooms are quite big, the food is very good(had a dinner and a breakfast and I enjoyed both). A small disadvantage is the location. Being situated on a very crowded street, the noise can sometimes be heard in the hotel.

Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank Alex I
There are newer reviews for Ramada Cluj

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stay at Ramada Cluj on a regular basis (having stayed at Rimini, Opera Plaza, Golden Tulip Ana Dome) and it is in comparison to these hotels that I base this review. It's slightly more expensive than most Romanians are willing to pay but as an English business traveller I found the prices reasonable.

The staff are friendly and attentive. The rooms are well furnished with comfortable beds and a good bathroom. Breakfast offers a decent selection with good coffee - it is obviously buffet fare so the earlier you get there the better but the omelettes are well made (fresh) and I've never had any issues with what was on offer (gluten/dairy intolerant for starters!).

The spa on the top floor offers excellent views across Cluj and is one of the highlights. The gym is a bit limited but the swimming pool is good for a few laps and the sauna is good.The steam room does tend to be a bit "stinky" but I find this common in countries where the water supply is not the cleanest. I was not able to use the facilities on my more recent trip and I understand the 360 Spa has been refurbished so much of this may have changed. I have had a massage in the spa and whilst not cheap for Cluj it was still good and suitable for the convenience.

Location-wise the hotel is about 12 mins walk from the main square - most would take a taxi but I am happy to walk despite lack of pavements (part of an initiative to get over-head cables underground). The road at the front is very busy at times and so a room at the back is recommended. My favourite room is 203 as there are no overhead rooms. Noise can still be an issue between rooms for those of a sensitive disposition. My other criticism is that they choose to limit the air con at certain times of year and the room can be a bit stifling; opening the window/door only invites in noise so it's a bit annoying - especially if at the front of the hotel. Sometimes there are events and people on the outside terrace are a bit noisy. I've sometimes also disturbed by people drinking on their balcony till the early hours - there is a privacy barrier but they are basically right next to your door! If I had one major complaint is that the staff do little to try and minimise this. The free wi-fi access in the rooms is always very good.

I have eaten in the Akantus restaurant a number of times - often having the steak which I found delicious. Wine measures of the house wine are also exceedingly generous!

I like this hotel and will be happy to go back on my next business trip in 8 weeks.

Room Tip: A room at the back is definitely preferable to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank NikUK1977
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed here for the better portion of a week, for business. The location is good, but not great. It borders a very busy street ( which happens to be the Red Light District )... and if you get a street facing room.. you will hear the noise.

Rooms were decent. Beds are decent. Pillows are awful ( paper thin ).

Bathroom is tiny. Towels... wow, there must be a shortage of towels at the hotel. I actually called the front desk to request a towel... they came and showed me that what I thought was my floor mat in the bathroom, was actually my towel. Paper thin, feel like cardboard.

Carpets are worn and dirty.

Breakfast was... awful. Barely worth eating. Now, to be fair, I had just spent a few days in Oradea at the DoubleTree where the breakfast was out of this world... unfortunately, this place did not compare.

The restaurant in the lobby is decent... decent deserts good service.. so that is a plus. The front desk staff was helpful and accommodating.. those two things are actually the only redeeming qualities of the hotel.

In short... just go book room at the Hampton by Hilton downtown (where I had stayed my previous visit, and will stay there from now on)... its significantly better.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jason C
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Apart from the description in the title of the review, I would add on the positive side that the rooms are clean and quite spacey. Otherwise, the rooms are noisy, due to the unfortunate location on the busy outskirts, on the main road in & out the city, with lots of traffic all the time.
I stayed there several times both for leisure and for business (TIFF film festival), in the Deluxe King, and the Executive Deluxe King rooms. The only difference between them is the access to the Executive Lounge, that unfortunately is more neglected as the time passes by. Furthermore, despite the room description on Booking.com, the Executive Deluxe room DOES NOT have a coffee machine. When I asked the reception about this, they needed more than 30 minutes to come up with the explanation that the description on the booking site is wrong! They promised to send me a complimentary platter for the inconvenience, but this never happened. Actually, the cheaper Deluxe rooms are better, as they have a balcony, unlike the Executive ones. So my experience with the hotel’s staff was not so positive... I may add that on a previous stay, as I am a member of the chain’s rewards program, I received a complimentary bar of chocolate with the expiry date on the day of my departure!!
So I’ll choose a different hotel for my next trip to Cluj.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank TVprod
Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's a nice hotel, in a quite decent area of Cluj.
I appreciated the excellent staff (reception, restaurant) and the very clean rooms.
The bar is a bit overrated and, since it is opposite to the reception, the wanted feeling of "cool" is not really there. The prices were too high for Cluj.

Also, they have a terrace behind the reception room, which would be amazing... if somebody would take care of it.

I ate only dinner and the food was quite good, but also slightly overpriced.

For business, I would return.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vanilleontheroad
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Clean, modern hotel on edge of centre. Reasonable price. Friendly staff that really want to help you. Nice pool but jacuzzi would be nice. Limited enough communal space eg bar/restaurant. Overall very satisfactory.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David N
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Why I say for a short stay? Because I found it to be really expensive for the location - it costs around 100e/night. I've been there at the beginning of March 2014. The room was really clean, no complains there, big bathroom, very nicely furnished. To my own surprise, the cleaning crew came daily to replace consumables (shower gel, shampoo, etc). It was nice that I also found a cosmetic kit (cleaning pads, etc) cause I forgot mine at home. Even more surprising is that when they cleaned the room, they noticed one of my light bulbs in the bathroom got broken and they replaced it instantly.The breakfast is diverse - you will always find something to eat for several days w/o repeating but honestly I expected some wow pastry, or cheese, or ham - sorry to disappoint you but nothing out of the ordinary there, however good.
To summarize:
- I appreciated: how clean the room was, and the crew how attentive they were each time doing the cleaning. The room is big. The hotel parking is free for guests. The location being close to the city centre.
- not so much: the hospitality of the ladies at the reception; the fact they had only one screw at the bar; the noise coming from the street (it is located quite close to the city centre on a main road). During our stay, we had lunch arranged thru the training course - I was very much disappointed in what we were served. I understood the hotel's restaurant is highly looked at, so I had very high expectations. We were served some chicken roll, an awful soup, and something that was desired to be a tiramisu (plain fresh cream). There are so many ways to cook a chicken on a low budget with the same ingredients, but you could tell that the chef didn't bother to be a bit more creative - sadly.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel to avoid the noise from the street
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business