“Remarkable unremarkable in most respects”
Review of Hotel Agape

Hotel Agape
Ranked #55 of 57 Hotels in Cluj-Napoca
Reviewed 18 October 2010

After several days of staying in lower-end places elsewhere in Romania, I felt in need of a bit of luxury (but couldn't afford 5 star). I thought this 4-star hotel would give me that, but ended up disappointed. The location is top-notch, which is probably the basis of the price. I was given a key to a room facing the inner courtyard, but smelled of cigarettes. When I asked for a non-smoking room, the room faced the street, and was very loud. I chose to deal with the smell and have a quiet room. Breakfast (included in room rate) was adequate, but hardly outstanding. The hotel completely lacks a lobby, yet they feel they need six on-site restaurants. Probably the best aspect is the inner courtyard, which means (some) rooms face inward, and don't get street noise.

Biggest bummer - getting yelled at by an employee in a hallway. I was walking down a public-area hall, and an employee seemed to believe that I was a bum off the streets (which I did NOT look like!). He started yelling at me to "GET OUT OF HERE!" I am disappointed that I did not find a manager immediately.

Overall, this place is fine, but absolutely not a 4 star. (in fact, older property signs say 3 star, so I question if they bribed an official to get a higher rating).

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Hotel A, Manager at Hotel Agape, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Reviewed 13 July 2010

I stayed there 3 days at the end of June and then 2 days 10 days later. The first 4 days and nights were super. Big room, good air conditioning, kind service. The cafeteria was great. The last night/early morning everything failed: wierdo guy at the desk at 4am (not the same guy that was there at midnight) , could not speak English, French or German, could not find my "packed breakfast", said coffee machine was broken and the elevator was broken. (It had worked fine at midnight.) I don't know if was a mutant or just having a bad night. Since there was no communication between us, it was difficult to know.

When I go back, I will stay in a Pensione, where it will be quieter at night (fewer roaming, singing, happy students), a little less expensive, and more green space.... near the Botanical Garden.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

We understand your concern and appreciate your feedback.
We will take all the necessary measures to ensure that the next time you will have a more enjoyable experience

Reviewed 5 July 2010

By mistake we got here , we have no regrets .
The rooms are huge , with elevator , comfortable beds , but no special design some may say quite simple rooms. But once again...spacious , comfortable.
The location is in the center of this city ....but in the center of the center 1-2 minutes walks from the main attractions ,fast food shops , out-door coffee shops and so on.
The employees are remarkable , they get a 10 from us.
The hungarian restaurants are the best you can find . For me it was the best hungarian dinner i,ve ever had....and i'm a hungarian food adict .
I would highly recommend this hotel .
Enjoy your best stay in Cluj !!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vasylis

Reviewed 1 March 2010

Nothing to say for change something...everithing was perfect...thanks for everything

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank meristojkova

Reviewed 4 October 2009

Claims to be 4 star but 2 star would be more accurate. Stayed in the appartment because the need of a room to conduct interviews. Everything about the hotel is decidedly average. My main gripe is that the waiter in the restaurant tried to charge me £40 for a bottle of very ordianary Romanian Merlot - the cost in the local supermarkert was about £4. At the end of the meal he presented us with two bills - one for food and the other was for drinks. As I was signing the bills to be paid on the main hotel bill I reckon he thought I would not scrutinise too closely. Well he was wrong! I refused to pay and insisted on speaking to the manager. After a few stern words and the threat to post my experience on Trip Advisor the outrageous charge was scrubbed from the bill. This process was a little too easy which made me think that it was a pretty common scam. Make sure you get to see wine list or get a price before ordering. Beware!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 August 2009

We found the Agape a very pleasant and quiet place to stay in a good location. Nothing spectacular about the rooms, but roomy and quiet and everything worked. Breakfast was fine, if not exciting, and the location of the hotel just off the main square and city centre is ideal. There is a very decent self-service restaurant on the ground floor, and the setting of the rooms around a courtyard is picturesque. Plenty of good restaurants and cafes nearby. Overall good value and a good choice for this city.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 February 2009

I stayed at the Agape on business. There is a central courtyard that is freezing as would be expected - and around which various rooms can be found.

The room was tacky, electrical wiring showing has not always made me feel at home! The radiators were on full blast, windows could not be opened. Talk about dry atmosphere!

The breakfast was the worst breakfast I have had in 25 years of travelling. Period. Without equal - I had a double take on the fried eggs..the sausages were the boiled variety and cold. My powers of english cannot allow me to describe them. I had breakfast once needless to say.

There was no free water in the room - so you had to purchase from the min-bar which was warm! i.e did not work - complaining falls on deaf ears so no point saying any more on this.

I am amazed I have taken the time to write a review. Truly awful. There is a hungarian restaurant in the hotel (there are actually abouot 3 I think) - I visited it on one night and the food was ok and service was friendly - but this was overshadowed by the rest of this truly awful hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ITConsultant