“Beware”

Ranked #60 of 1,484 Speciality Lodging in Moscow
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Beware”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I will start of on a positive note....the location of this accommodation is very good as it is so close to many of the top attractions which is great for a city that is so large. However it was extremely difficult to find. As mentioned by other people, the Petrovka Loft is down a dark alley with little street lighting and being 2 girls, this was quite unsettling. The bathrooms and toilets were clean and I never had to queue or wait for one to become available.

Now for the not so positive! We encountered 5 different members of staff and none of them spoke even basic English (for example it took my friend several minutes to understand what toilet paper was and that we needed some). One of the girls did entertain us but the others were just not interested and did not even smile / show any sort of hospitality in their faces. We were not told about breakfast or visa registration upon arrival etc. The lady just opened our door and then went back to reception.

Our room unfortunately did not have any windows, was sweltering hot and was so tiny. If I wanted to get anything out of my case, I had to go into the hall as i didn't want to put the dirt wheels of my case on my bed. However I understand that as we are not in the room for long, the limited amount of space wasn't a massive issue. The absence of a window was unacceptable and there is no warning on hotels.com that this could be the case. We tried twice to change rooms (and didn't mind paying a bit more) but neither of the girls were interested and either said (in russian) that they did not understand / could not help. We tried to get a fan to cool the room down and had the same response. We asked for the manager and again had the same response.

Fortunately we were able to change hotels but did have to spend a lot more money to do this. By changing hotels we were able to access basic things eg free maps of the city, advice on where to book theatre tickets etc. As we checked out the 2 members of staff laughed at us, which is disgusting behaviour.

We did see one of the other rooms with a huge window and with air con and I think if we had one of those rooms we would have been okay. However book at your risk as you might end up being put in the "cupboard" as we called it!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sarah D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

If you book here make sure you get detailed directions/map from them as it is otherwise very difficult to locate. Stairs up to the hostel are scruffy, but once on the floor all is fine. Clean spacious rooms; clean ample bathrooms, wifi. Good value & standard amidst the very pricy hotels around. Unbeatable location & this counts for a lot.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

First off, it's not difficult to find the Petrovka Loft at all. The arrival instructions are pretty clear...and if in doubt walk up Ul. Petrovka until you come to an archway with matroyshka dolls on either side...then walk up that side road until you see the hotel sign.

The room was clean, warm and comfortable. The bathrooms were clean and modern and like other reviewers have mentioned, somehow there was never a queue (in fact I never even saw another guest using the bathroom facilities)!

Moscow is an expensive city, which makes Petrovka Loft an excellent option. The location is exceptional. You can walk to pretty much all the major sights. Less than 10 minutes to Red Square, a bit further to the Kremlin.

Lots of restaurants nearby. I tried the 24 hour Uzbek place which was OK, but prefered Elki-Palki (behind Tsum)...which was really good value and an easy way to try Russian food. There's also a convenience store a few doors up Ul. Petrovka with ready made food if you want a cheap meal.

1 Thank ejcd84
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I arrived on a Saturday Afternoon, the location in terms of how close it is to Red Square is amazing. Only a 10-15 minute walk. The location of the hotel in terms of the alley, is a bit weird, I didn't feel safe walking through there in the evenings.
When I arrived, the woman at reception shows me to a very small room by reception, like right by reception, so close that you could hear every movement outside the door. If you get room 10, you've drawn the short straw. She then came in about 5 mins later and explained to me that she is drunk and gave me the wrong room. I was then moved to a bigger and (what I thought was) a quieter room.
About an hour after being there, while contacting my family to tell them I've arrived safely, I started to hear a lot of noise from the room next door. The bed was banging against the wall, there was a girl screaming and more!! Yes, they were having very loud sex. Throughout my stay, girls were going in and out of that room and I could hear everything. It was as if the walls were made of paper.
I really didn't feel safe here, I felt like I had to lock everything into my bag each time I left the room.
If you're expecting any form of breakfast, you'd be disappointed.
Rather than having your bed sheets and pillow cases changed every morning you'll have them turned over or swapped over instead. The stains that were on the pillow case when I arrived, were still there by the end of my stay after the third night.
The staff weren't very friendly, one afternoon I went to leave the hotel, when you leave, you have to hand in the keys to your room. Went to give the keys to the girl but she was sitting there engrossed in the computer with her headphones on. Very unprofessional.
If I were you, I'd go elsewhere where you'd feel safer, wouldn't have very sexually active neighbours and would actually enjoy your stay.
I would have left sooner if I hadn't have already paid for the rooms.

• Stayed March 2013
7 Thank George A
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 11 February 2013

For the money, you honestly can't get better than this in the center of Moscow! My husband and I were very happy here in our spotlessly clean room only a 10 minute walk from Red Square. Yes, it was a bit hard to find, but if you pay close attention to the address and read some of the other comments on here then you will find it with no problem just like us. It is on the top floor so be ready to climb stairs with your luggage. Many shower stalls in the shared bathroom, but only 2 toilets, although this was never a problem and we never had to wait. Overall, can't beat it! We would stay again in a heart beat!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a window... some do not have and it would be pretty stuffy at night.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank audjie504
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Some reviewers have said a 20 minute walk to Red Square.... uhhh.... If you are maybe around 90 years old and walking with a cane. I'd say 7 minutes to Red Square once you know where you are going. I've stayed all over the world and write "6 of the 7 continents for the budget traveler", so as an experienced traveler always looking for a great deal, this was the place to be!
I stayed here over New Year's Eve, what a phenominal place, it is a bit hard to find, so I pre-planned with google streets and take a look at the traveler's photo's here to get a better Idea of where it is. It's just off Petrovka Ulitsa. There is so much near by, bars, a super market, a bank, everything a traveler needs, and you won't waste time getting to the attractions Moscow has to offer. The staff speaks great English, they are extremely friendly. The shared baths are extremely clean. The mini bar has probably the fairest prices I have seen in my life, only charging a few more rubles than what you could get in the store. If you are looking for a deal, this is it! And if you are not looking for a deal, and just a really nice hotel, this can be it too! Thank you to all the staff who helped out! Natalia, Alex, I wish I could remember the rest!

-Joe In America

Room Tip: Request a room with windows, a bit bigger but worth the extra value.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Braveheart_10010
Australia
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Nice basic rooms with shared bathrooms, nothing special but good location. Extremely hard to find, located in a back street of Petrovka Street, no signage until you find the right door to the building and even then the sign is very small. No common area or kitchen, so it doesnt have the benefits of a hotel and doesnt have the benefits of a hostel either.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple