“Impressive...”

Capital Hostel
Ranked #187 of 1,513 Speciality Lodging in Moscow
“Impressive...”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Do never stay at this hostel! You will have to share the bathroom with a big amount of strange people, everything is very dirty, people at the reception are quite arrogant and the room doesnt even have a single window! I would have change my room at the same moment I arrived there!
I asked for a towel and the receptionist gave it to me, but showing off her annoyance before as if it was a big favour! We had to take off our shoes in order to walk around, and we had to pay for a pair of flipflops...
The only advantage I found there was that it is well situated, Next to metro Tretyakovskaya and just 10 minutes walking to the Red Square.
The worst hostel you can stay in Moscow in!!↓↓

• Stayed July 2013
innabuge, Manager at Capital Hostel, responded to this review, 2 April 2015
Hello! Thank you for your comment! Our site, just like Booking.com or other channels perfectly indicates that we have all types of rooms, private as well as dormitories. As in any Hostel (and not Hotel), you share your space with other guests only if you choose to do so. However, it is always good to receive any comments in order to adapt better))

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Italy
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Starting from the positive aspect of this accommodation: it's in a very good location and well signposted.
When I checked in, I specified to the female owner about the possibility of staying only one night. She showed me the hostel, she sounded ok, but she was not able to give me proper information about Moscow (easy questions about public transport which I found myself after). I stayed in a 4 bed dorm for the equivalent of €22, sharing a room with russian people, probably staying there as long term because they cannot afford to rent in the city (at least one of them for sure). The room was cramped, total lack of privacy (I stayed after in 10 bed dorm in Moscow for €15 where you have much more space and privacy), it was a single bedroom transformed in a 4 bed dorm; this room was not showed in the pictures on their website or other hostel website (they show much nicer rooms). And thank God it was a room with windows, because they also have a dorm room without windows!
The towel included in the price: it was a mini towel, the one usually used in my country after the bidet, to dry the private parts. I asked for a bigger towel and the owner gave it to me, saying that she was making an exemption (like it was an incredible big favour).
The bathroom: one mini room for the sink, one tor the toilet (with no toilet paper), one for the shower (a bit dirty): it was very awkward in the morning to jump from one place to another.
In the morning at around 8am I went to the reception desk regarding confirming the second night, thinking that there would be somebody; I ask another guest where I could find the person at the desk. Then, all of a sudden this woman (the owner I met the day before) came out from a room behind the desk saying that I woke her up and it was too early and told me to come back later (but I wanted to go sightseeing... ). I felt that she talked to me in a unprofessional way.
So I did some sightseeing in the morning but at 11.30am (the check out was at 12) I decided to come back to tell her that I didn't want to confirm the second night.
So I did, and she reacted saying that I was very bad doing this. When I checked out I asked if I could leave my luggage in the luggage room. She say "Yes, but it will cost you 30 rubles every hour" .
I knew the luggage room was free of charge as advertised in that hostel's website and in every hostel in the city. I left, but I had to waste the time (which I wanted to use to visit the Kremlin) to find another accommodation in order to drop my luggage.
Very bad was this woman, not me...I would not recommend this place at all.

Room Tip: Find another place if you can
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
innabuge, Manager at Capital Hostel, responded to this review, 2 April 2015
Hello! Thank you fro your comments. I'm sorry to hear that your stay ended up on this unpleasant incident. It was necessary last summer as we are a small business and can not afford to keep the luggage of everyone. However, we made some space and changed the regulation so you can of course drop your luggage before the time of your flight or train.

Travellers are raving about these Moscow hotels

Riyadh
Reviewed 25 July 2011

As they advertise in their website, it is more like a guesthouse than a hostel. The hostel is not crowded like typical hostel, so it is good for you who need a good rest after wandering Moscow. The location is excellent, only 2 minutes walk to metro station. You can take the metro to the red square, or just walk straight ahead from the metro station through one of several bridges of Moskva river with very good view of Kremlin. Mc'donalds right in front of the metro station, Pizza hut and Subway also around, and also a Russian restaurant near the Mc'D. There are some grocery stores at the metro station. I stayed alone in the 4-bed dorm room (with window), and the room is very comfortable. But looks like some other rooms has no window and it can get very hot (as one guest complaint when I stayed there), so better check and see the room before you book. The staffs don't speak good english, only one girl can speak good English (forgot her name).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo