“Only one positive”

Fabrika hostel gallery cafe
Ranked #615 of 1,614 Speciality Lodging in Moscow
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I am not in the habit of giving negative reviews but I believe that travellers deserve to know how truly horrid this hovel is to label it a hostel is bringing shame on hostels world wide.
Never have a stayed somewhere so filthy that I have felt the need to keep my shoes in bed with me and nor have I ever felt dirtier after a shower.
1. I arrived on a Saturday night and I Appreciate that hostels aren't typically a bit louder etc on these nights. Nowhere is it mentioned on any sites that fabrika is in the middle of "nite club city" one of the clubs actually stayed open till 7 am playing terrible Russian techno. Loud. As in so loud I tried to play my own music through head phones and could barely hear it. This was only after the music on the "terrace" (chip board layer over the rood of downstairs) stopped, which from what is could see was made up of people who clearly live in the hostel and the staff. Yep people live here, I would say that roughly 70% of people I encountered were living at the hostel and working in surrounding restaurants - which explains any positive reviews - hostels are generally not permanent habitations.
2. The beds are very much slapped together 4x2 and do not in anyway meet any sort of bunk standard that I have come across in the past. I feel as though my life is on the line each time I go to bed. The mattress is not what I would call a mattress. If I can feel each and every cross bar through the mattress then it's not really a mattress is it?
3. Bathrooms, I hope that after reading this you have decided to not stay here and avoid the horror, however if not, be prepared, bring toilet paper, at 9pm upon reporting that all 3 toilets were out of toilet paper and where can I get some more sir, I was handed a box of tissues and told " we have to do these things when we travel" um yes, on the side of the road, sometimes on trains! sometimes in public toilets! not generally in a hostel that I am paying to stay at. Not at 9pm. Just no.  The showers are step into pod things, all 3 are broken In some way or another, all are filthy, none make you feel any cleaner. The lights leave much to be desired also, I would prefer to see what I could be stepping in.
4. Location, point 2. Other than night clubs being beside bedrooms. There is an actual rubbish dump! Rubbish bags on the ground piled high maybe 20m from the entrance. I am not talking a little bit, a lot of rubbish. I am glad I had a cold and could barely smell anything. The building also looks like something I would equate with a heroin den/ low class brothel/ abandoned/ declared not safe for habitation. Up 4 flights of clearly non regulation stairs ( wouldn't like to attempt them a bit drunk) the actual geographical location is the only positive point. It is 2 minutes to one of the most famous land marks, 5 to the metro, 20 minutes to the kremlin, 30 to arbat street, but I don't think this out weighs all of the negatives. Some of the staff are lovely, although some are not at all. I feel sorry for the nice ones as they should be somewhere that suits their demeanour a bit more.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ches81

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Sorry to say that our stay at Fabrika proved to be quite unpleasant. You can't believe how noisy it was. Both the hostel and the neighborhood. Moreover, it was not clean at all. Not worth the price, in short. The only thing I enjoyed was the colorful art on the walls.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Figen D
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Upon arriving, we were informed that they had lost our reservation for a private double with private bathroom, even though I had a copy of the reservation proving that I'd already paid a 10% deposit on the room for two nights. In spite of that, they made me pay the full price for the room I booked, but gave us a double with no private bathroom. The room was disgusting and small. The pillow had blood stains on it and the comforters were skeezy. The bathroom had no toilet paper, was leaking water and there were hypodermic needles laying around on the counter. The only reason we stayed was because we got there so late and were exhausted, otherwise we would have left without hesitation. The only bright spot in this whole nightmare was the guy at the front desk who was very sweet and spoke great English.

Room Tip: Don't. Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sutian
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Is located 10 minutes walking from center, wich is perfect in a city like Moscow, but the rest of the Hostel sucks.

First everything is quite dirty, including toilets, the common area was always full of trash from he day before.
There is not 24 hours reception, that is quite insecure under my opinion

Try to find a better place!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Booked here for three nights with four of my kids for a stint in the city. Best get the positive elements done first - location quite close to Kremlin and Red Square

The room had 6 bunks and we booked the six for sole occupancy.  The room was sparse, one seat available/cube.  Outside two sofas taken up by a lot of folk that didn't appear guests staying and every morning there was 1 or 2 laying there roughing it.  Noise at night terrible/ paper thin walls and a wretched door bell going off all through the night.

Beds were dreadful with thin foam - I snaffled the spare one.

Toilets were filthy and strewn with used toilet paper overflowing - you are not supposed to flush paper down the sink.

When we arrived we were so so tired. However, there was no lock on the door, it had been removed. The receptionist said "Maybe later" On our last night the partying was crazy and in the morning, two males opened our door and I had to get to the door and usher them out.

The toilets and shower room and water for food preparation/washingup all in one and mixed sex.

Would not recommend this to my worst enemy - never again

Room Tip: Stay at your own risk
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Wearytraveller2006
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Me and my boyfriend have been travelling around for almost 2 months and Moscow is our 10th destination and this has been the worst experience so far for both the hostel and the city. Before we arrived, we have decided to book a taxi straight from Domodedovo airport to the hostel which cost 1990RUB and took us just under an hour. The hostel is located inside an open space with a big car park. We got to carry all our baggages to the 4th floor. The guy at the reception could only speak a little of English which made things quite difficult when we asked him about directions and things to do, so we just left it and got a city map to sort everything out ourselves. It is a hostel which have a lot of people walking around and sitting around throughout the day and night. Our room is an en-suite double so at least we don't have to share the toilet which is a mixed toilet with bathroom. They have a little kitchen with everything you need but we have not used it once because we tried to avoid going out the room as there is always a lot of people around and they don't seems to be friendly. The wall is as thin as paper so you can basically hear everything from outside and it is 'Wooden floor'. Very noisy! There was a night after we got back from town around 7, there was full of people (they don't live there) and we assumed that there was an event going on as there was cakes and a projector around. We have not been told about anything before which we thought they should of at least inform us beforehand. The noise did not go until very late that night.
However you get what you paid for as this is probably the cheapest accommodation in Moscow with a good location (10 minutes to Metro and 20 minutes to Red Square), a lot of good restaurants around, the closest one is just down stairs with good quality good and reasonable prices. Think about it properly before you book it! If you can you might want to pay a bit more to avoid this bad experience.

Room Tip: Learn some Russian before you come to Russia. Get an en-suite room if you really want to stay in th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kwingcur
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Good location but dirty and noisy,
Beside looks quite unsecure because they dont have reception during the night till 9 or 10 in the morning..Breakfast is not included and they don have kitchen.
I wouldn´t recomend this place

Room Tip: good location, but the facilities are quite bad, ..really dirty .. looks quite insecure, because the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple