“The plae to stay !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 308 Hotels in Moscow
Paris, France
“The plae to stay !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

After having experiencing many hotels in Moscow (whole range of prices and standards and fo business purpose) for business purpose, i can only recommend Hotel Mercure Arbat. It is ideally located, they have one the most friendly hotel crew, very clean room with good service and definitely offer the greatest breakfast ever.
Do not hesitate, go for it :)

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank g_marcovich
Ada E, General Manager at Mercure Arbat Moscow, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest!
First of all let me thank you for choosing Mercure Arbat Moscow among other different hotels!
We were so delighted reading such positive words about its location, clean rooms, great breakfast and, of course, the hotel team, which strives to provide an excellent service to our Guests at all times!
Thank you for recommending us on Tripadvisor, we highly appreciate it.
Do not hesitate to return, and we will go on doing our best to make your staying the most comfortable during both business and leisure trips!
Mercure Arbat Moscow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I chose this hotel for my last 2 nights in Moscow, having stayed at Baltschug & Metropol Hotels. Both are superb, but expensive. I booked a standard room w/breakfast and arrived at 12:30. Reception staff tried to accommodate me by offering early check-in. However, the room was just awful...small, dark, no outlook due to high window. I told reception that I preferred to wait as long as necessary to get an acceptable room. I mentioned that I had selected this hotel since it was #3 on TripAdvisor, and this was not what I expected.

After a short delay, the manager contacted me and noting I had booked b/c of TripAdvisor, advised that they would upgrade me. In fact, they gave me the largest corner room on the floor! While there was some traffic noise, the stay was very enjoyable.

The Baltschug brought up complimentary coffee with a wake-up call. The Metropol is historic, but had instant coffee. This hotel has in-room Nespresso (at least in the premium room). For me, that's the best! I would check what the standard room offers. The room had everything one could ask for; good lighting/controls, TV, dressing gowns, contemporary bathroom, Mercure standard.

The hotel does not have the cache of a 5 star hotel, but it's very well located directly across from Metro in a active, pedestrian friendly location. Staff were very accommodating; the buffet breakfast was very good; the dining room attractive; there were lots of nice touches like a shoe shine in the lobby.

My only caution would be to ensure that if you book a standard room, which may still cost in order of $240 with breakfast, make sure you don't get a room with no window to look out of!

I haven't stayed in enough Moscow hotels to know if this deserves #3, but all in all, I enjoyed my stay, after the initial difficulty. It turned out to be a very good choice.

Room Tip: It's a historic hotel and every room is a bit different. Make sure there is a window you can see...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Michael G
Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you very much for taking the time and posting your review regarding your recent stay at Mercure Arbat Moscow. We appreciate a lot your positive comments about our hotel.
You are absolutely right noting that all rooms are different. Nevertheless I would like to mention once again that Mercure Arbat Moscow Hotel building is Russian cultural heritage belonging to the beginning of the 19th century and that is why each room keeps its historical individuality. That’s why there are rooms both with regular and “attic” windows. Tastes are different so such room types are preferable for some guests. But if a guest doesn’t feel comfortable in the room we are always happy to offer another one upon availability. On the day of your arrival we had a possibility to upgrade you and the manager did that to make your stay with us enjoyable and pleasant.
Following your note I would like to clarify the difference between standard and Privilege room. There are additional amenities in Privilege rooms and suites: free mini-bar with soft drinks, Nespresso coffee machine, newspapers, bathrobe, dental kit, vanity kit, loofah, shoe shine sponge and sewing kit.
We are very glad to know how highly you valued our service and found our staff being accommodating. This is the best reward for us.
Thank you once again for your warm feedback.
We will be happy to see you again at our hotel on your next visit to Moscow.
Cordially,
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

I travelled on business to Moscow in Jan 2014 and stayed at the Mercure Arbat Moscow, the rooms were very clean and tidy, the hotel is centrally located.

I found the staff excellent, very helpful and great English language.

The breakfast in the restaurant was first rate and good value.

I'd have no hesitation in returning.

If I am being fussy - the only thing I didn't like was the pillows, I like feather pillows and these were the squashy manmade fibre type that are springing and not very supporting.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest!
On behalf of the hotel staff let me thank you for the pleasant feedback concerning our work!
We are really glad that you liked the location of the hotel, the cleanliness of its rooms and the quality of the breakfast!
In regards of the pillows, as feather is natural material, which may cause allergic reaction in some cases. For this reason the rooms are provided with special hypoallergenic pillows. But we are always happy to offer you our “Pillow menu” including feather pillows upon request.
We are looking forward to welcoming you in Mercure Arbat Moscow hotel!
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

A great choice for the Russian capital! Arriving on a dark winter night, I was gratified to find a cozy and intimate lobby, plus a smooth check-in process that got me to my 4th floor room in a matter of minutes.

Everything in this hotel seemed, felt and looked new (well, one exception, see below). The hallways feel lush and welcoming, done up in what seemed like a retro Art Deco style with murals of Moscow landmarks and lots of vertical stripes (if you like stripes, you’ll find this hotel quite stylish).

For a mid-range hotel, my room gave off that “deluxe boutique” atmosphere, carefully decorated in creamy beiges, browns and grays. I liked the fact that the room wasn’t a boring square or rectangular affair, giving me more interesting nooks and angles than the typical hotel room (alas, only a few rooms have this kind of wonderfully eccentric shape, or so it seems from the posted room map in the floor).

Three cheers for the bright and well-placed lighting in the room ---- the bed alone had four lights to play with, and there were accent lamps plus a ceiling mounted central lamp that added some Old World chic. There was no armchair, but there was a desk chair and a dining nook in the corner (round table and cushioned chair).

The whole room is on the compact side, but there was enough space to move around. The queen-sized bed was very comfortable (I’d have welcomed more pillows, though). The two small but artfully-draped windows opened up to a decent 4th floor view of the ring road looking toward the Lotte complex and the old former U.S. Embassy.

A few glaring flaws:

---- No bedside drawers! No useful drawer in the small-sized desk/dresser, either. Generally there was a lack of storage space in the room, so don’t expect to be able to unpack completely and get fully organized for a long stay. (But it was adequate for my 3-night stay for a business trip.)
---- There were unsightly brownish stains on the ‘stainless’-steel column in the shower stall. Yet the rest of the bathroom and room was impeccably clean, and perhaps I can’t blame the cleaning staff because I tried to rub/wipe/obliterate the stains myself, and failed completely.
---- Why do some hotels persist in putting glass panes that only wall off half of the shower area, leaving the other half wide open and making it very hard to have a decent shower without wetting the main bathroom floor? I had to keep an extra towel on the floor to stem the tide, so to speak. (Is this an Accor quirk? I had the same problem at the Novotel Toulouse Centre Wilson last September.)

Otherwise, the bathroom was tidy and bright and very congenial, a world apart from the atrocious bathroom in Moscow’s old Belgrad Hotel (during my stay there in 1991).

My room rate didn’t include breakfast, so I didn’t try the buffet. Instead, I sampled a light morning meal of poached eggs on toast that was fairly OK, nothing special. The breakfast hall (or “bar”, as they called it) was almost completely deserted on this cold December morning, but comfortably warm. I took a window that looked directly out on the sidewalk (dark even at 8 a.m.), with an odd electric candelabra-like feature in the window.

Service was uniformly good, friendly (maybe not super-warm, but the staff were quite helpful and patient in explaining subway fares).

Rather than a full-fledged business center, the Mercure offered a business nook off to one side of the lobby, with a computer, printer and other business supplies. (Just one person could use it at a time.) Free newspapers are available in the lobby, and the free Wi-Fi internet is fast enough and easy to use.

The hotel is well located, on a quiet street just off the western end of the old Arbat pedestrian street, a stone’s throw from the Philippine Embassy complex on the same block. Across the narrow street is one of the Smolenskaya stations, putting you just two stops away from Red Square and the Kremlin. The hotel is a 1-minute walk (1 short block) to old Arbat, 1 minute to a McDonalds branch and perhaps 2 minutes to a well-stocked grocery store and bakeshop, 2 minutes to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and 5 minutes to the Lotte shopping complex.

Warning – the hotel doesn’t exchange money for you, but you can walk easily to two currency exchange outlets, one in front of the hotel and one behind it (in the same building complex, it seems) that you access from the ring road.

I admit that my previous experiences with Moscow hotels were far from ideal. In 1991 I stayed at the Hotel Belgrad and rank it close to the very bottom of my list of hotels (though it was a rather interesting stay during one of the last weeks of the Soviet era) …. and it seems, from pictures in tripadvisor.com, that the Belgrad still looks the same 23 years later. (It’s just a 5-minute walk from the Mercure.) In 2009, I stayed at Mercure’s sister hotel the Novotel Moscow Centre, which I found to be spartan and unsophisticated --- not much better than a big motel. The Mercure is several notches above the Novotel and light years ahead of the Belgrad. My estimation of the “Moscow hotel experience” has just gone up immeasurably.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a decent view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank wingdaddy
Ada E, General Manager at Mercure Arbat Moscow, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest!
Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mercure Arbat Moscow Hotel. It was a great pleasure to read your detailed review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and your experience was a positive one.
In regards to the pillows I am sorry that you didn’t use our pillows menu to have not only regular extra-pillows, but also feather and orthopedic ones. We are always glad to offer this service to our guests.
I also would like to assure that all small damages which you mentioned in your review are gradually and permanently refurbished and replaced by our technical department. I am sorry that sometimes due to many different reasons we cannot do it as fast as we wish.
We do appreciate that you highly valued our hotel and overall impression from your stay at Mercure Arbat Moscow Hotel met your expectations.
The whole team looks forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Moscow.

Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here while touring Russia for our honeymoon. We booked through Expedia and had some issues at check in - this was no fault of the hotel and they dealt with the situation very well - gave us a comfortable seat and complimentary coffee while they called expedia and sorted it out.

We were delighted to be offered VERY early check in at 7am after a long journey.

The reception staff were outstandingly good - actually the happiest, friendliest people we met during our time in Russia.

Our room was basic but comfortable and warm with good water pressure and modern TV.

Our booking did not include breakfast and the price to add it on was exorbitant so we went out or opted for eggs on toast in the bar instead.

Hotel is well situated - easy walk to Red Square and good facilities near by.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Ada E, General Manager at Mercure Arbat Moscow, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you very much for choosing our property for your Honeymoon and taking the time to share your feedback.
There is no better reward for us than to know that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well taken care of by our team!
In regards to the breakfast price I would like to mention that it is one of the best price/quality offer you can find in Moscow. I would also like to advise you that some of our package room rates include breakfast and you can find these offers on the official web-sites of Accor company ("Business Package" or "Ready to Visit Package"). There is also special internet offer for breakfast 790 rub. We will be happy if it makes your stay with us more comfortable.
We hope to welcome you again soon at Mercure Arbat Moscow Hotel!

General manager
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Lovely hotel, all mod cons, clean rooms and friendly staff in a very central location.

Breakfast is a bit on the expensive side but you could just order a dish and pay a third rather than go for the buffet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ArnaudLepron
Ada E, General Manager at Mercure Arbat Moscow, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you so much for staying at Mercure Arbat Moscow hotel and for writing such positive review.
We also thank you for your kind words about our staff which we appreciate a lot! It is the best motivation for us in our work.
In regards to the breakfast price I would like to advise you that some of our package room rates include breakfast and you can find these offers on www.accorhotels.com or www.mercure.com ("Business Package" or "Ready to Visit Package").

We will be happy if it makes your stay with us more comfortable.

We dare to hope you will choose to stay at Mercure Arbat Moscow Hotel on another visit to Moscow.