“A great place to stay near the Olympic Stadium”

AZIMUT Hotel Olympic Moscow
Ranked #23 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The hotel was originally built to house athletes for the Moscow Summer Olympics. It has since been renovated and is part of the elite Renaissance line. It is everything you would hope for in a modern Western hotel. A bit pricey, as it caters to Western businessmen. But if you want comfort and security in Moscow, this is the place for you.

It is very close to the Metro "Prospekt Mir" station, from which you can get anywhere in the city.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Robert_Rudge, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Olympic Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear KW_Taveler,

Thank you very much for this great review. Our Hotel does indeed have a lot of connections to the Olympics. Here is another interesting fact: on July 3rd, 2004 The Olympic Flame was carried through Moscow and for three days the city was lit by the famous burning torch - the main Olympic symbol. The honor of hosting the Olympic Flame was bestowed on our Hotel. Today, as a memorial to the presence of the Olympic Flame - the torch that was carried in the Relay is displayed in our Olympic Health Club. As a tribute to the Hotel’s rich history and unique location next to the Olympic Stadium, in April of 2012 the Hotel was renamed to “Renaissance Moscow Olympic Hotel”.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Rooms are nice, but the wifi in room is not complimentary, even when u have a member rewards card. Bathroom is nice, but doesn't correspond to a 5star rating hotel, my bath and towels were not clean. U can find some very old features in rooms, but in overall it s nice. Bed is comfortable and that s what counts. The location of the hotel is good, cca 15 minutes from the red square. The hotel shuttle bus will take u directly to the city centre, the Red Square. Receptionists are very nice and speak good english. Breakfast are good, but not excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear mishii_mis,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review for us. In regards to the bath and towels not being clean – we apologize for this, as it is not up to our usual standards. We take cleanliness very seriously and will be looking into this matter now. We hope to see you here again.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My second stay at Renaissance hotel Moscow. Large building from soviet time but totally renovated, large lobby with bar , was staying at club floor , good room large bed nicely decorated. breakfast was include and offer some good choices but not as much as the "normal" restaurant downstairs. But overall was very good , staff is excellent and speak good English , some nice restaurants around.

Room Tip: They all look the same actually. so hard to tell.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Robert_Rudge, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Olympic Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear lolobkk,

We are happy to see you have chosen to stay with us again. Thank you for writing another review for our Hotel. It is always great to hear from repeat guests. We hope to see you here again.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Let me start with saying that I’m very content with the hotel’s amenities with some extent that all good hotels in Moscow are far from cheap. That’s why you have to accept that price or search hotels with fewer stars.

Now when we leave high price aside, the other major disadvantage of this place is a relatively long distance from the nearest underground station “Prospekt Mira”. It took more than 10 minutes of walk. However if you are planning to reach the hotel by car or one of the hotel’s shuttles – you won’t notice this inconvenience.

The hotel kindly allowed very early check-in, which was very nice of them, I appreciate. So I was able to take a shower and change in my room before I commenced my intense business day in Moscow.

Bathroom had good toiletries, maybe not the best I’ve tried but very decent and pleasant for skin, especially soap. There was a suitable hair drier and wide mirror.

In general I felt very peaceful and cosy ambience in this hotel which disposes to relaxing stay. Everything in the room was clean, calm and peaceful.
The room had several standard and bedside lamps, all could be controlled both independently and with central switch reachable from bedside and from entrance door. That was convenient as I didn’t have to cross the room in the dark to turn the light on or off.
The room had electric kettle as I prefer after long trips and busy days when body requires hydration. Four tea bags, instant coffee and complimentary bottle of mineral water were provided as well.
There was an iron and ironing board, lots of hangers in wardrobe. And of course a safe box with numeric keypad hid also inside the wardrobe.

Big TV set with flat screen hung on the wall in front of twin beds, TV had external USB and HDMI sockets. I scrolled the telly through lot’s TV channels in all possible languages and found many well-known ones such as CNN, BBC, RT, DW, and so on.
This TV additionally provides you with information to make your stay comfortable. For instance I was quite pleased when it greeted me with my name when I entered my room for the first time. Like many similar devices it can be programed for wakeup, checking your bill, reporting weather forecast and some other useful things.

Free Wi-Fi is available only in lobby, paid one can be arranged in rooms. Probably it was done on purpose: that forced many people gather in the lobby, chat and that created impression of lively inhabited place. Still this does not disturb calmness of upper floors. Interesting to mention, that most of guests were visitors from other countries. Based on my observations, there were very few people who spoke Russian.

To my regret breakfast was not included into my rate; it would cost me 1250 roubles (about 38 USD) if I wished to try it. If this price is far too high, no worries: there are several cafes around “Prospekt Mira” underground station. Café “Shokoladnitsa” («Шоколадница» in Russian spelling) is an example. You can have excellent curd fritter or pancakes with sour cream or jam with tea and fresh carrot juice for less than 10 USD.
This hotel has several restaurants where you can have lunch or dinner. Remembering the price of breakfast I thought of finding different place for dinner. So I decided to dine in “Yelki-Palki” («Ёлки-Палки» in Russian spelling) which is closer to “Prospekt Mira” underground station. That dinner cost me 580 roubles (around 18 USD) + some tips. It comprised a big portion of beetroot soup (Borsch) for the first course, meat with mashed potato for the second course and tea. Not bad for 18 USD, right?

However, back to the hotel. The fitness center was included into my rate. Unfortunately I did not visit it due to lack of time.
If you happen to have free time and the weather is great, I highly encourage you visiting Ekaterininsky park which is right opposite the hotel across the street. I was extremely surprised to find this calm green area in noisy Russian capital. Enjoy sauntering on its alleys, watching moscovites and their kids.

That was the second time I stayed in Renaissance Olympic. If price for room won’t be a question I would stay here again and again. In other words I enjoyed staying there and can recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank _0Alexey0_

Dear _0Alexey0_ ,

Thank you so much for this detailed review. We appreciate the time you took to write these comments about your stay with us and we are glad you provided such great tips for our future guests. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Renaissance Moscow Olympic Hotel, stayed on business for two plus years wonderful people could not find a fault and conveniently located about 20 mins to central Moscow. The facilities, great pool, floor around and in changing room area when wet can be a bit slippery, so watch your step. Marriot quality all through. Good access to all facilities, do not change money there.

Room Tip: A big hotel, good bar ,traffic heavy at rush hour. The old stadium still looks good and markets arou...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The breakfast selection was delectable and housekeeping was thorough and pleasant. Most of the hotel staff keep up with their smiles and the shuttle service was prompt and frequent.

Unfortunately the good experience was marred by a trip to the souvenir stand at the lobby. If I had to pay 75 rubles for a 25 rubles stamp, I would appreciate being told in advance! It's not a lot of money but it feels almost dishonest (of course, I am fully aware that this is a respectable establishment.) I had no idea I had to pay triple the price until the stamps were readily fixed on the postcards.

To the management: Perhaps a written sign in English of hidden costs might be helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear yrfaith,

We appreciate you taking the time to write this review for us. In regards to the stamp incident – the gift shop is a third party vendor and we are now looking into the matter, as we want to be reasonable and fair to our customers. Thank you for letting us know your concerns. We look forward to seeing you here again!

Reviewed 14 June 2013

There is "Olympic" in the name so I figured it was located in and around where the Moscow games had taken place. There were remnants of the 5 rings on buildings but for the most part faded away. I wish there were more emphasis on the history.

I would recommend the hotel as very comfortable for business travelers and conveniently located if you have business in the area but given Moscow's notorious traffic I would recommend mapping out your location requirements. For tourists I would recommend something closer to Red Square as the area around the hotel does not have much to offer (except faded Olympic venues), and not a lot to walk to in terms of restaurants and coffee shops.

Breakfast was pretty good with a decent buffet spread. The dining crowd was almost all business folk.

...anyway a very nice hotel with generally helpful staff, though I did encounter a gruff concierge who didn't seem to want to speak English ;-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Robert_Rudge, General Manager at AZIMUT Hotel Olympic Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Jack F,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of our hotel.

Our property is named Renaissance Moscow Olympic Hotel due to its proximity to the famous Olympic Stadium. During the Olympic games in Russia, the symbolic torch was kept at our Hotel. For this reason the first floor is decorated with photos from Olympic Games events.

Moscow does indeed have heavy traffic jams and so we recommend our guests to use the subway, as we have two stations near us, which are easily reachable by walking (10-15 minutes). We do offer complimentary shuttle service, which takes our guests to and from Red Square and Pushkin square – some of the city’s main attractions.

We would like to apologize for the concierge, this is not the usual Renaissance standard and we are looking into the matter.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you here again.