“Great luxury hotel”

Ranked #18 of 310 Hotels in Moscow
London
“Great luxury hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

It is a nice hotel in the best location just a few steps away from the red square. The room are nicely decorated and the beds are very comfortable. You can have breakfasts looking directly at the Kremlin. Personnel is always keen to help and very kind.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear guest,
Let me thank you for your recent stay with us and for taking the time to post such a nice review.
It is a pleasure indeed to learn how much you’ve enjoyed your stay with us.
I’m glad to hear that you’ve liked the hotel location, style and most importantly our service. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it’s always gratifying to receive such a praise. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you back at Hotel National!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed at the National from the 27th July to the 1st August 2014. We were a group of eight with 4 rooms booked. The receptionist managed to place us in 4 rooms next to each other. The staff are excellent, very friendly and helpful. The concierge, Marina, was very very helpful, and gave excellent advise and information. The rooms are lovely, beautifully decorated. The beds are comfort beyond compare. The breakfast selection is outstanding, so much choice. But the breakfast menu cannot compare to the breakfast room. Full size picture windows, with views straight across the street of the Kremlin. I would have no hesitation in staying here again it is just fantastic. Thank you Hotel National.

Room Tip: Our room was on the sixth floor and at the side. The plus side is the lack of noise from the roads.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank John T
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for such a positive feedback!
I am very proud to hear that you’ve had a fully enjoyable experience with us, have found the location of the hotel to be nice, appreciated our personnel and liked the quality and style of our rooms.
I’m glad to learn that our concierge Marina has assisted you to make your stay in Moscow memorable. Let me assure you that your kind words have been passed to my team.
I hope that it’s not your last trip to Moscow and look forward to welcoming you again in order to impress you even more!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The location of this hotel is phenomenal. You can walk to the Kremlin and it's just beautiful to see it lit up at night right outside the window of the hotel. The rooms were a bit small, but beautifully furnished in an old-fashioned style. The bed was extremely soft and comfortable. This hotel had good security and the doorman makes you feel very welcome!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking a time to write the review!

I was very pleased to learn how impressed you were with our location, architectural style and room equipment.

Your kind comments about our personnel are greatly appreciated. Customer care and security are amongst our highest priorities and it always gratifying to receive such praise.

I look forward to welcoming you at Hotel National in the future.
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Quite a grand little gem, smack bang in the middle of Moscow across from the Kremlin / Red Square. Rooms are furnished elegantly, often with seperate sitting and cloak rooms. The breakfast is appetising and the breakfast room has a nice view across central Moscow. I personally could not fault the place. The bed was delightfully comfortable and the room was quiet, spacious and elegant. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.
We are delighted to hear that you have found Hotel National to be special and elegant.
I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed our breakfast and valued our wonderful view on the Kremlin. It was a pleasure to learn that you have been satisfied with every other aspect of your stay with us.
We will be happy to welcome you again at Hotel National, a Luxury Hotel Collection!
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked a three night long weekend stay via Amoma.com which was significantly cheaper than the hotels own web site. As visitors to Russia will be aware, to obtain a visa, you need a visa support letter from the provider of your accommodation and the hotel's web site indicates that they will provide this requirement, however, the reality is that after contacting them directly, if you haven't booked with them directly, they can't (or won't) provide this service.

Thankfully, Amoma sorted this out for me and the visa application process was completed within a week.

I arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and the receptionist on the check in desk was pleasant and helpful and the process was completed quickly. The room I booked was the 'classic room' and as I had booked through a third party provider, I wasn't expecting a room overlooking Red Square - so I wasn't surprised to be given a room at the back of the hotel with a 'view' overlooking some inner courtyard.

The room wasn't the biggest, but was suitable for an individual traveller, it was clean although the bathroom could benefit from some modernisation and the Penhaligon amenities were plentiful. There was a cheap plastic stool and horrible tacky metal stand in the bathroom that just looked out of place. This is supposed to be a 5 star property!

The air conditioning seemed to struggle to maintain a comfortable temperature and the fan was a little noisy, but the bed was large and very comfortable and to external noises entered the room which made for a great sleep - much more important to me than a view over Red Square!

My rate did not include any meals and I tried the 'Business Breakfast' that is served in the bar. There was also a buffet breakfast option available; however, I was not prepared to pay in the region of 30 GBP for it!

Unfortunately, the breakfast I chose (at a cost of approximately 10 GBP) was an immense disappointment. This consisted of two fried eggs, two small rashers of greasy and fatty bacon and some bits of tomato. The bread was stale (imagine economy class airline buns) and the croissants were old. One cup of coffee and orange juice poured from a carton was the drinks provided. My advice is to forget this offering!

One wonders what the quality of the other dining options is like if they cannot get a very basic breakfast right and having looked at the menu, some of the prices of food seemed prohibitive for those who were not able to charge to an expenses account.

As others have pointed out, public areas of the hotel don't seem to have air conditioning and some areas were stifling in a hot Moscow weekend and again, a common theme with other reviewers is the internet connection which can only be described as erratic at best.

You must take some time to walk around the hotel as there is some great artwork on show.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank davyp777
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing Hotel National during your visit to Moscow and taking your time to write about your experience with us. As we constantly looking for ways to improve our service, your honest and constructive comments are very much appreciated.
It is nice to learn that you valued professionalism of our Front Desk staff. Our staff is passionate about providing great service and I am happy to know that you were pleased with it. As well I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our “Luxury Collection Bed”.
I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding with your visa support. Your comments have been forwarded to our Reservation Manager in order to investigate this situation and avoid it in future. Please kindly be assured that we are always ready to assist our guests.
I am very upset that you haven’t been satisfied with our Business breakfast. I have reviewed the issues raised with our Food and Beverage Manager and all necessary measures will be taken to improve the situation.
I do sincerely hope that you will be able to take advantages of the offer to come again, as we would welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence in our services.
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

First visit to Moscow, travelling for business and after the chaos of the airport (1 hour to get through passport control, then 1 hour to track down luggage) I was a bit apprehensive...BUT thankfully the Hotel National was a haven of organisation and high quality. The room on the 7th floor was quiet, clean, classy and spacious. I ate in the bar and in the Italian restaurant and the food quality was great. The choice for breakfast was extensive. All the reception staff were professional and helpful. The only drawback is the lack of air conditioning. It was fine in the bedroom but in the common areas I didn't notice any. Even ceiling fans would have helped. Didn't distract from the overall stay though. Would stay here again - the location is really handy for visiting Red Square. Cпасибо!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your positive review. It is wonderful to hear all these kind words from you! We really enjoy what we do. And it's even more rewarding when we are appreciated so much.

I am so sorry to hear about the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured, I have already notified the Head of Technical Department and this issue is being taken care of.

We constantly strive to exceed our guests' expectations and take a great pride in delivering an exceptional experience.

We so enjoyed serving you and look forward to seeing you with us soon again!

Kindest regards from all of us at Hotel National!
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I am not sure how can you rate this hotel as a 5 rated luxury hotel? I have stayed at many hotels around the world including some of the other Starwood hotels. First, I had personally put an request for the King bed or room 229 a week before while I was at the same hotel. Despite that they gave me different room. A room (225) which was small by any standard that there was no place to put a luggage even!!! The TV on the desk was not movable. So, one can not watch TV from the bed. Finally, after requesting again & again, next day I was allocated different room. All these is not important, the important part for me is the internet connection. It was so weak that I was not able to connect the internet during entire stay. It just work for few minutes and signal drops again and again. The funny thing is, I can connect better from the connection of next door hotel !!! When I complained at the front desk, someone came and had a look BUT that's it. No Solution. All he offered me is a advise to go downstairs and work from the lobby !!! That's totally strange solution for any 5 star or Starwood hotel. Also, despite that the told me that Gym is open 24 hours, when I actually went at 10pm, it was closed. When I asked, they told me it is 7am to 10pm. Also, no coffee machine in the room. This is old classic hotel where the walls are full of arts and ceiling are with big chandeliers. Though, it is very impressive BUT when it comes to the quality of rooms, It is very poor. The wooden floor is totally run down. Bathroom is small and cracks can be seen at many places.

Only good thing about the hotel is its location. Just across the street from Kremlin and above the subway line (though for non Russian, it is a challenge given no sign whatsoever ever in English). Bhai theater is not even 5 min walk. Hop on Hop off bus stops just across the street as well. Also, the street with bars and nice restaurants is walking distance. Even at 1pm, walking alone in the area is safe (though some hookers wandering around the hotel and next door hotel). For value people, MacDonald is one street away. The mall at the Kremlin also has 24 hrs McD and lots of other option. Big food court is on the -4 floor (Yes, the mall is underground and it goes all the way to -4). All that said, bottom line is totally disappointed with the choice and never go again. If I want to stay in the same area, lots of choices are there like Hyatt, Marriott and lots other.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TravelVU
Marina M, General Manager at Hotel National, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest!

First of all, let me thank you for choosing Hotel National during your visit to Moscow and for sharing your experience with us.

I was sorry to learn about the concerns with your recent stay and at the outset would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I would like to mention that all our standard rooms are quite different in style and size and whilst we do try to accommodate our guests in their favorite rooms unfortunately it is not always possible. Next day after your arrival as soon as we had the availability we did our best to find the room similar to Room 229 for you.

I would like to assure you that we have noted your most important preferences and we are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable in every respect.

Please kindly be informed that the hotel Fitness center (swimming pool, sauna, steam bath) is open from 7 a.m. till 10 p.m., but gym is really open 24 hours and can be accessed with guest room key after 10 p.m.

Thank you for drawing our attention to the unstable functioning of our internet and TV systems. Please be assured that we take your feedback very seriously and all necessary measures are being taken to improve the situation.

In closing, may I thank you, once again for taking the time to write. We will always welcome the opportunity to be of service and will be very glad to see you in Hotel National again to regain your confidence in our services.