“In the heart of the attraction”
Review of Hotel Savoy Moscow

Hotel Savoy Moscow
Ranked #157 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We have spent 4 nights in June in the Savoy Hotel.
This hotel is strategically located a stone's throw from the Red Square, the Kremlin and the Bolshoi Theatre, and the Tsum department stores is just across the street.
Moscow was on holiday and the music and celebration all over the city. We were walking distance from the Kuznetsky Most the street of most fashionable shops and trendy restaurants.
The room was clean and comfortable, a fair buffet breakfast is served in the restaurant, the spacious lobby and the bar decor in imperial style and Free WiFi access all over the hotel.
We requested for a high floor room to avoid the construction noise. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I truly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Tatiana D, Директор по продажам at Hotel Savoy Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We greatly appreciate your warm and kind comments on your stay at the Hotel.
We are happy to take this opportunity and to thank you for being our guest. We would like to assure you that we will go on doing our outmost to serve the guests according to the international standards and Russian hospitality.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Spent one night with family in Savoy Hotel, Moscow. It's interiors are tastefully done in imperial style. Champagne for breakfast. Five minutes walk from Kremlin past Bolshoi Theatre. We also got upgraded to junior suite - without asking. Helpful and courteous staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Akhil B
Tatiana D, Директор по продажам at Hotel Savoy Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am writing to give Hotel Savoy a fair and honest review. I have just returned from a long weekend break with my husband for our early anniversary weekend. I am 27 weeks pregnant and to say I had a great time would be an understatement. I read the reviews (as I do picking most of my hotels on trips) and was a bit worried about the construction and lack of positivity.

Prior to our trip I emailed the hotel and requested a top floor inside room to avoid the lack of sleep due to the noise. To be fair the works do continue throughout the day however we did not hear a thing being in our room (Room 513).

Being pregnant I was hoping for a very pleasant stay and I am pleased to say that this hotel exceeded our stay. The location is fantastic. Right by Red Square, walking distance of a Metro and the Gum department store. The hotel has kept its traditional Russian décor and they couldn't be more accommodating for us.

Rooms - lovely size, large beds, five English tv channels, easy to use safe, robes, towels and slippers provided, penhaligons miniature bottles. Bathrooms have shower within the bath, large marble sink and wc. Water pressure fine and hot water. Water provided in your rooms each day x 2 bottles.

Breakfast - fantastic! In a wonderful room with amazing décor - see pics. More than enough on offer to eat from cereal, toast, hot breakfast, croissants, amazing pineapple and fruit, yoghurts, juices, fantastic hot water urn and coffee machine all at your disposal - sat by the fish pond in the middle of the room. I asked a number of staff at breakfast for things and they accommodated us each time.

Facilities - we swam every day in the 20m pool - sauna and steam to be unlocked at your request and we practically had the pool to ourselves each day. Temp being 35 degrees it was a lovely refreshing swim after our weekend basking in 32 degree sun. Towels and water provided by the pool

Check out - late check out on the Monday at 12.00 p.m. and they happily held our bags for us. We returned about 4.00 p.m. and we went down for a swim and shower room also available and comfortable loungers by the pool whilst we were waiting for our airport run. Sat in the bar after for a while before departing.

Area recommendations - We visited Lenin (be aware we saw it was closed Sunday and Monday's), the tour of the Kremlin wall (buying tickets was a bit confusing at the ticket office but if you only have a Cathedral entrance you can buy the Armoury ticket separately once inside at the ticket office (the coaches and carriages from years ago is a must see). We did the River cruise (1 hour journey) and got off at Gorky Park for a stroll around and found large bean bags in the park to rest and have an ice cream - watched volley ball and got the buzz of the park. We went on the hop on hop off city bus which you can pick up from the main road (opposite side of the road) just outside the hotel and construction front. Be aware the subways to pass under the enormous roads are quite smelly, the public toilets are not that nice so go in a restaurant! We followed the DK Moscow guide and found lovely restaurants from the book. How my husband got round the tube map I never know but he did! The acrylics are a language in themselves but I would use the little pull out metro map the hotel gave you. Taxis would be cumbersome as you would sit in traffic. From the airport we got the Aeroexpress (£8) and then we got the Metro and bought a multiple ticket (10 journeys) which can be used for both of you as you just scan the same card when you travel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shutty117

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was there on business trip recently, arriving at the hotel early morning after a long overnight trip. Issues with early check-in that had been previously ensured, then they asked me to pay upfront for it instead of paying everything at the end as you would normally expect to do. To add more pain, they then asked me for a guarantee on my credit card for use of minibar, which given I was in a rush to have shower and go to morning meetings, I decided not to give: biggest mistake, as when I got upstairs to my room I had to wait while 2 ladies were busy empting the content of the minibar into black plastic bags and taking it away.
Got my shower and then I asked for a taxi at reception: they advised me to get a hotel car, which I agreed to as I was in a hurry. After 10 minutes they advised my the hotel car was not available and I should rather have a taxi booked - to which I said 'of course'. After waiting 15 more minutes without any taxi in sight and seeking explanations, I was told that the taxi had indeed been called but would not come, since I had not given them my credit card details (nor had I been requested for them in the first place!).
Last, I ordered room service for dinner and they managed to bring me something different from the order, which I had no option but to accept given the waiter did not speak a single word of English. After 5 minutes of eating I had the waiter knocking hard on my door and shouting to me that I had not paid, I had to give him cash and if I did not have cash I had to go in the street to a ATM to withdraw some. When I objected and asked for that to be billed to my account that I would have paid the following day at check-out in any event, the gentleman started to be even ruder and louder - Until I got downstairs to speak to the manager who was not there but later called me to apologise, even offering a bottle of wine (that I kindly declined). Cherry on the cake, service at breakfast totally unwelcoming and hardly smiling to anyone.
Never ever again.

Room Tip: Choose a good room at different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Antorpol
Tatiana D, Директор по продажам at Hotel Savoy Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear guest!
On behalf of the Hotel Savoy Moscow we would like to thank you for sharing your observations about the hotel with us. Your opinion is highly-valued for us.
We would like to take this opportunity and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay at the Hotel.
We do hope that this incident will not influence your future choice of the Hotel negatively.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had expected much more from the Savoy given the reviews. We were first placed in rooms on a low level right next to the contruction. We asked to be moved to quieter rooms which occurred but they were not very nice rooms. Since the construction went late into the night I am very surprised that they would put people into these rooms without discussing first. Staff ranged from friendly to extremely dour. Few electrical outlets in the rooms we were moved to, making it hard to work. I would therefore not recommend this hotel as a business hotel. The bar was dark, uninviting and extremely expensive. On the plus side, the breakfast was very good in a lovely room, the rooms were spotless and the location could not be beat. Easy walk to the Bolshoi, GUM, Red Square etc. But I would not recommend the hotel until maybe the construction is completed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank attytrav.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Lovely spacious bedroom with high ceilings and comfy seating area. Bathroom very luxurious and well appointed. Such a pity that the building works opposite carried on day and night. Luckily the noise only woke us up a couple of times. We could have changed to a smaller room but we liked our room so much we decided to stay put. Reception and breakfast staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was fine but seemed more special because of the very splendid breakfast room, complete with fish swimming in a fountain and beautifully decorated ceiling. Only gripe, other than the building works and that is not the fault of the hotel, was the coffee that my husband and I had one evening in the bar. It was extremely expensive, came from a machine and hardly tasted of coffee and the chap serving wasn't the slightest bit cheery. Needless to say we didn't bother with coffee from the bar again. What a shame because it was a comfortable area. The hotel was very well situated, close to Bolshoi, Red Square, St Basil's, GUM and many restaurants. Gripe apart, a very pleasant stay and we would definitely use The Savoy again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pennyrome
Tatiana D, Директор по продажам at Hotel Savoy Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Very classic hotel in Russian style located at a very central area to all tourist spots. Decoration is those old Russian design and good to have a try for one night, but i would prefer a mix of Russian and modern rooms at other international brand hotel.

Restuarant on the 2nd floor is a highlight where you may sit right next to a small fountain for breakfast. Swimming pool is nice too as you may occupy the whole pool alone, like a private one!

Front desk staffs are nice with charming smile where you seldom find in this "cool" country, and they speak fluent English too. However, conceige is not very helpful, seems he pay more attention to his mobile and newspaper.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Tatiana D, Директор по продажам at Hotel Savoy Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014