“Opulent makeover of an historic Soviet building”

Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow
Ranked #8 of 310 Hotels in Moscow
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Opulent makeover of an historic Soviet building”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

Huge (500+ rooms), opulent hotel that is a good example of modern Russian taste. It was originally one of "Stalin's high-rises" and the Soviet stars and hammer and sickles that adorn the building contrast with the Rolls Royce dealership and expensive shops inside. My room was large, plushly decorated and well equipped and had original Soviet era art on the walls. The breakfast buffet was good and the Italian restaurant on the 31st floor has wonderful views over the city but is not cheap - beer is around €10 a glass. Staff are very friendly and helpful and most speak good English. Location is not great but it is only a 10 minute walk to Kiveskaya metro station and around 45 minutes to Red Square along Nov Arbat.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank psandps

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

Situated in one of Stalins’ Seven Sisters, the hotel building itself is very impressive. This was my first business trip to Moscow and when I saw the building, before I knew this was the hotel, I thought this was some kind of palace.

The service level was very good and I was immediately checked in and given a free upgrade thanks to my EBG.

Since I arrived quite late I decided to have a quick snack in the lobby bar before going to bed. I ended up having a perfectly cooked Kobe steak and a domestic beer and the pricing was ok.
The view from my room was not the best (street view), but the room was well sized with a big bathroom and a separate lounge part. You could not hear anything from the street outside or from some other room, completely sound proof exactly as it should be in a 5-star hotel. The WIFI (free of charge) was very fast and reliable all over the hotel i.e. in your room, in the elevator, in the lobby bar etc.

I did not go for the breakfast (even if I’ve heard it’s fantastic) since I thought it was a bit too pricy (and not included in my room rate) so I had the in-room one instead. It was very good and fresh and I wasn’t able to finish it all.

All in all: I can warmly recommend this hotel and, if I don't decide to try out some other hotel next time, I will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank ErikFromSweden
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

The place looks expensive, and makes you feel somewhat like on a day tour to a palace. Prices are tremendous, and absolutely not worth. Service is very good, however they lost my credt card inforamation that I gave them at check in. They even had a copy or print of the card. Luckily we solved that out, and I hadn´t been charged twice.
The hotel location is good jsut for the Arbat and Smolensky areas, it´s quite far to the main center streets, like Tverskaya and Kitay Gorod small streets (those are a must - they´re very old and pretty). All in all the hotel is good, but you expect more from a hotel of such class.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank thrudywoody
rd_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, 19 May 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following your most recent stay with us, as it assists us in our constant endeavor to improve our services and create a better experience.

First of all my apologies for the inconvenience with your credit card.

Having been awarded Winner of Russia’s Leading Luxury Hotel at the World Travel Awards 2010 was due to our motivated team of 1300 employees obviously this level of service does come at a cost which is in line with our competitors in the five star segment.

I discussed your feedback with our team and it would be a great pleasure if you give as another opportunity to redeem your impression, please contact me directly.

Wolfgang Nitschke
Windhoek, Namibia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

I ordered theater tickets, and they sold me them for a triple price. OK, I don't mind if they add some commission, like 15 or 20 percent like hotels normally do, but they charged me triple price!!! I could read the original price on the ticket despite they tried to scratch it off. That's really disappointing. And they expect a tip from you like twice a day, for every word they say to you. Location is so so.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Tigra86
rd_royal, Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Dear Guest, thank you for communicating your impressions on our service, we welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us get better. Your experience certainly is not in keeping with how we treat our guests.

For last minute reservations we very often have to buy tickets from reselling agencies who charge a commission on top of the ticket price. Definitely the hotel is not charging for such services as the Concierge Services are complimentary for all our guests.

We highly value our company policy to provide Yes I Can! service which is aiming 100% guest satisfaction. However, in your case it appears we failed to meet expectations, and for that we truly apologize. We will definitely review the list of our partners. The entire Concierge Team looks forward to welcome you back and hopes to exceed your expectations during your next stay with us.

Kind regards,
Andrey Korystov
Chief Concierge
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

Service, rooms all five star quality. Wellness centre well worth a visit with a pool any swimmer will love! Spa quality very good, room quality brilliant with good quality and amazing attention to detail. Only two issues price of food and the level of security. One tip, take dinner on the river - brilliant way to see Moscow at night.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank FamilyfromScotland59
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

A truly unique experience, it is like staying in a piece of history!
Despite the oppulence of the lobby the rooms are really restful, with hand painted furniture,comfy beds, the softest towels I have ever seen and stunning original works of Art. The Italian resturant in the spire is delightful, full of candles, flowers and off course great views, and if you stick to pasta not that expensive. The pool is amazing
I would definately stay here again, The Ritz Carlton could be any where in the world this hotel is true Moscow!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank debramackenzie
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2011

Great hotel in Central Moscow - beautiful building. Room are quite 'chintzy' but very comfortable. The service in the hotel is great. No tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Good and free wi-fi. Good location for both touring and for the Moscow City busienss district.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business