“Wonderful hotel, location a little too far out”

Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow
Ranked #12 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This is a lovely hotel in an iconic seven sisters building. Rooms are recently renovated to a nice boutique standard, with an opulent charm - though rooms are on the smaller side. Staff friendly and approachable. Restaurants within the building all top notch. Only criticism is location - too far from the very centre of town and with Moscow traffic, can add considerably to daily travel time. Would choose the Hyatt over the Radisson in general, but would slide this into second place among Moscow hotels. Lobby is as full of ladies touting for business in the evening as any other top hotel; unfortunately a practice that is encouraged rather than frowned upon across the board in this city. Doesn't really affect quality of stay. Outstanding views across the city.

Room Tip: Go for a room high up for a tremendous view of the city.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank businss_travell3r

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed here adding on a weekend to a few days of business in Moscow. This is a step up from your average Radisson and exudes grandeur from the moment you walk into the lobby.
As an expensive luxury hotel in one of the most expensive cities in the world it shouldn't really be a surprise that the lobby prices and restaurant prices are high as mentioned in other reviews - but no higher (in fact probably a bit less) than other luxury hotels in Moscow. We decided to skip the breakfast at 1500 Roubles ($50 US) each.
You can get a coffee and croisant in the lobby bar for around 500 Roubles, but by far the better option for us was to stop for breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien about half way along on the left on Ulitsa Arbat a pedestrianised street that leads to the Red Square area. (It's about 30-40 minute walk to Red Square - just head for the river outside the hotel turn left and then cross the river on the 2nd bridge (Borodinskly) - you'll need to find the underpass when you get to the front of 'Seven Sisters' tower on Smolenskaya to get across the busy street - then just head up Ulitsa Arbat which is traffic free nearly all the way to the Kremlin. If you need to take the Metro it's an easy 5-10 minute walk to the nearest metro from the Hotel - just ask at the reception for a map, which is really useful as the metro map has both Cyrillic and Roman character names shown so you can work out where you are.
Service was as you'd expect from a hotel of this class. Security is highly visible, but courteous and we didn't find it in any way intimidating (if anything slightly reassuring).
Do take the Radisson cruise boats from just outside the hotel. We booked an evening cruise and had dinner on the boat and we pleasantly surprised that the food and drinks costs were very reasonable - compared to most other places in Moscow, and certainly not at the same exorbitant levels charged in the hotel.
The hotel also provided without charge the Tourist Voucher that my wife needed for her tourist visa application, and were very helpful with the process.

Room Tip: We had a high floor room overlooking the courtyard at the back of the hotel. The windows don't...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AMJ5
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I can't believe the change that has happened since I visited this hotel in 2004 when it was called the Ukraine hotel.

I arrived full of stress the traffic jam as I came from dova dova aiport (coming from gatwick airport) and no body was surprised as I take 3 hours and a half from the airport to the hotel because my bloody flight arrived at 1pm. Imagine 3&1/2 hrs in a limo and this is normal a 45 min journey. Also I was cold from the heavey snow, but I forgot all my problems when I saw how the change to this hotel had happended. I saw everything rooms, restaurant, staff, and over its a huge value for Rasidor,

I had a bad experiance with Radisson SAS Sharm el-Shaikh, it was terrible, you can not compare that these two hotels belong to the same company.

Anyway, I advise to try all the restaurants, breakfast in the Veranda very nice, then I also had super meals in Farsi, Tatler and Buono. I hope to visit again soon to try the other 3. The karaoke bar looked fun, I wish I had time to stay and enjoy my time their.

The pillows, you can choose from the menu. The views just breath taking. Overall the experience was outstanding and I am already planning my next trip.

Room Tip: It has to be Moscow river room view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Beautiful Hotel, comfortable bedrooms. The staff were all helpful. The downside was the Lobby Bar which appears to be used by huge numbers of non residents for business meetings. To compensate for that the hotel charges ludicrous prices, 450 roubles for a coffee. One warning, do not get a taxi via the porters, they charge 3 times the price of walking down the ramp and negotiating personally with the drivers.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank bstuart
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed there 5 nights during one of the numerous business trip in town.

Lots of gold, bling - one could imagine himself in a good 4* in Dubai.
Helpful and quite well trained staff comparing with other chains in town.

ROOM
I stayed at the hotel a decade ago (Former Hotel Ukrainia), the price is up 20 times but so is the comfort.
Great bed. Nice view & large bathroom with bathtub. Good complimentary products of the Penhaligon's London brand.

RESTAURANT
Small portions & as everywhere in Moscow's hotels overpriced. Very average food BUT a fantastic view over Moscow by night.

BREAKFAST
Great buffet, really high quality - fresh pastries. Very impressive choice.
Probably one of the best in town.

GYM
Top notch torture instruments. Very nice & enjoyable experience at the end. Lots of room to play.

BIIIIZNEESS CENTER
One is still stuck in the late 90', probably cheaper to buy a printer that asking to have 20 copies of a file (which has to be sent to a general email before printing!).

TAXI to center
DO NOT AT ANY price book a taxi from the "taxi desk" there at the entry of the hotel, EXTREMELY overpriced and they bring pirate taxis to fill the orders. Try to organize booking in advance with an official company.

SUBWAY
Next station Kievskaya is 15 minutes walk. Unconvenient location of hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank AlexLX64
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Royal Hotel for your business trip in September 2011 and for sharing with us your experience. Every comment is valuable for us as we are striving constantly to improve our services and stay the preferred hotel for every travel occasion in Moscow.

Please allow me to give my input on your comments:
Regarding the Business Center – the request to send the documents to a generic e-mail is all due to the latest IT security requirements and we provide also a complimentary laptop use in our Library, to avoid any discomfort.
Regarding the taxi services – Moscow is famous for being one of the most expensive cities in the world, but I assure you our prices are on par with the offers of similar hotel properties in town.

Our hotel has been recently awarded World’s Leading Luxury Business Hotel for 2012 and we would like to keep this awarded and acknowledgment for the years to come, therefore providing a top notch service and receiving a positive feedback is of utmost value to us.

Thank you once again for your time and hope to be able to welcome you again in the future, whenever your travel plans bring you to Moscow!

Yours sincerely,

Jesper Henriksen

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Just got back from a 12-night stay at the Radisson Royal. It was in every sense of the word "opulent". The bed was great, the sports facilities wonderful, and the breakfast sumptious, and housekeeping on most days was good (almost to the point of being over-zealous). But my stay was very much wrought with frustration - and here's why i would only give this hotel an "average" rating:

1. The first 8 days of my stay, i had to replace my key-cards 3 times! This despite the fact that i always made sure not to place them anywhere near anything that could cause demagnetisation.

2. Housekeeping seemed to think that i needed more exercise, and hence decided to make me stretch and get onto my toes every day in the slippery bathtub so that i could reach the shower-head. I called in a request for them to lower it on the 3rd or 4th morning; but by the 6th morning, the shower-head was back up.. to the maximum height!! And then housekeeping had to call in the handyman to unscrew the lever so that they could bring the shower-head back down. (p.s. when i put in the first request, i was very patient in explaining that i was not even 1.6 metres)

3. Water pressure.. enough said.

4. The icing of cake? At my departure, i asked the bellboy to bring two suitcases down to the bellboy station. When i got down, i found my friend standing next to my suitcases in the middle of the lobby/entrance area. At first, i had thought she had recognised my suitcases, and hence instructed the bellboy to leave them with her.. but it turns out, she came down from breakfast to find my suitcases exactly where she was standing - UNATTENDED.

With these faults, Radisson Royal was anything but "royal". Definitely not my choice for a return visit!

Room Tip: i don't recommend staying here actually. there's not much around it..
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank portugal2006
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are sincerely sorry to read that our hotel did not meet all of your expectations.

In references to our Housekeeping, Technical service and luggage handling I will certainly investigate the matter. It is very unfortunate to see we could not provide you with a real 5* service and defiantly all measures on further training and developing our staff will be taken.

We appreciate your time and effort spent to write the review. If you intend to return to Moscow, please let us know. We would love to offer you a new chance to experience our unparalleled Yes I Can! service spirit.

Jesper Henriksen

Reviewed 15 February 2012

I've passed by this hotel many times, and had the opportunity to stay here. The building itself is astounding, so beautiful from the outside. Inside, I noticed that security was out of control. There were guards everywhere (who is staying here??) almost at every pole and corner. People with security concerns should be pleased, this hotel has to be the most tightly guarded space.

I had some problems with my credit card and was able to check in with cash (thank you Raddison Royal). There is an on side money changer than will convert US Dollars to Euro to Rubles right next to the check in desk.

Service was what you would expect in a 5 star hotel anywhere : there was an evening turn down. What I did notice was that the amenites were luxurious. The soap was from Penhaligons, the sheets and towels were Frette, so was the robe. Amenties were plenty. Like any other Radisson hotel, it comes with the one touch button on the phone, you can ask for anything.

Language was a toss up. The front desk people spoke very good english. So did the concierges. If you are staying here, pick up a map from them. This hotel produces a tourist map of Moscow, the best I have seen so far. It folds neatly.

However, the doorman could not speak english, there was some communication problem with the hotel staff, easily resolved. With sign language and gestures. There is an on site taxi reservation service that is good ( I actually plan to use them for future visits).

I had a good stay. My only complaint is that the hotel is far away from the metro (Kiev station is 15 minutes away), and the ever so present security, which is everywhere. If you have time, there is an over the top Italian restaurant on the top floor, an eye into the high powered world of modern Russia excess. Quite the experience. Nice view too.

I would come back, perhaps if the rates were cheaper?. Alas, this is Moscow.

Room Tip: If you are staying here, ask for the odd numbered rooms facing the Gazprom / Russian White House. Be...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo