“Service Schizophrenia.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 308 Hotels in Moscow
Wroclaw, Poland
“Service Schizophrenia.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stay here several months ago, but the memory of the stay has not faded.

The property is absolutely beautiful. The fact that it is one of Stalin's Seven Sisters also makes staying there pretty noteworthy.

Check-in was pretty good, and the desk staff were good at understanding some special requests I had, which was very helpful, though kind of expected at this level property.

Room service requests were sporadic. Sometimes it was quick and perfect (which it should be, the prices are bracing), and others a bit slow with items missing (like the coffee one morning!)

We ended up getting a room upgrade, at my request, and the room was phenomenal. But the service remained spotty.

The biggest problem was dinner at the rooftop Buono Restaurant. Interestingly the food was delicious. But the two servers were positively surly. The level of communication was very poor, in spite of repeated attempts to "engage" them proved fruitless. Moreover, I confronted the manager about the service. She said, "they are having a tough night". I nearly fell over. Since when did it become my problem that they were having a tough night? Wow! For the prices they charge, I expected something approaching perfection, and they missed by a mile.

The final problem was a bit unusual. In a moment of brainlessness, I forgot my laptop in the room. This was only realized when at the airport, and there was no time to go back and fetch it. Thus I called the hotel to ensure that they'd put it in safe keeping and forward it to me.

Well, I did get my laptop. The initial request from the hotel was for me to arrange the pickup etc. Which frankly seemed bizarre. They are a decent size business with undoubted contacts as well as a contract with DHL (or similar) through Radisson. After much negotiation, they agreed to pack it up (sans battery due to some apparent shipping restriction) and ship it, on my tab. So they sent me a document to sign authorizing payment, and I sent it back.

Then...the box apparently weighted more than they originally thought. So they asked me to complete another form for the difference. That's when I completely lost it. I've left things in other hotels and they've sent them to me gratis. But I was willing to bite the bullet simply because I needed the laptop for some items stored on it. But to put a guest through the paperwork for a few euros after dropping a fair sum in the hotel. That's just silly. In the end, they waived the fee, but it took a major blowup from me to make it happen.

The manager sent me an e-mail, which was appreciated, but rang so hollow. If he'd have offered some sort of compensation, that would have been great. At a certain juncture, an apology is a bit short of the mark.

In the end, corporate provided some goldpoints to be redeemed later. But it all stretched out way too long.

In summary, this property has the potential to be an absolutely mind-blowing experience. The history, the architecture, the quality of the rooms - all unquestionably five stars. But the erratic quality of service prevents the facility from deserving such a rating. Moreover, I really think they had a chance to restore some of my ill will with the laptop. It was a perfect inflection point to turn things around, but they blew it.

I'd love to return, but I'd need some strong indication that things had truly changed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TimFargo
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Tefargo,
First of all let me thank you for staying at Radisson Royal Hotel,
Moscow and let me apologize for any inconvenience caused during your
stay back in September 2013. I have taken over the position of General
Manager of this landmark hotel just a few months ago, however I have
investigated the issue already and reviewed our procedures. It is
always great when our guests are sharing their experience with us, so
we are able to follow-up in order to get better and offer world-class
hospitality. We continuously follow up with our partners operating our
restaurants and during my next meeting I will share with the
management your experience and might advice some training techniques
to improve level of service.

In regards to your laptop, I understood from your review that my team
members tried to assist, however couldn’t manage to satisfy your
expectations and we will definitely review our ‘lost & found’
procedures to assure a smooth return of goods forgotten in our hotel.
Also we will try to negotiate special prices with DHL so that our
guest can benefit from, in case needed.

Since I wasn’t able to be in touch with you during your last visit it
would be my great pleasure to meet you during your next visit or you
can contact me via Stefan.Kuehr@radisson-hotels.ru to share with me
additional feedback about your experience in our hotel.

Once again let me thank you for your kind comments about our property
and don’t hesitate to contact me when planning your next visit to
Moscow and the Radisson Royal Hotel.

Yours sincerely
Stefan Kuehr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had to stay at the Radisson Royal during a period my girlfriend was having repairs at home. This hotel has everything to grant you a wonderful stay, hypothetically without having to get away from it for several days. Here’s a summary of its strongest points:
+ Our room (it was s ‘Superior room’ i.e. the standard of the hotel) was very fine in size, comfort and amenities. The bed was very comfortable, the view was great (our room was on 19th floor, we asked as high as possible) and the room was very quiet because of the double windows. Literally zero noise, one of the most quiet hotel rooms we have ever stayed
+ Very complete hotel with several nice restaurants and bars of different styles. Note: All of these are independently managed and are refined places used by Muscovites for a night out. They are not just the typical hotel restaurant … From the formal Buono restaurant with rooftop views, to trendy terraces in the ground floor, sea-food restaurant, a more relaxed steakhouse or the more formal Iranian restaurant on 3rd floor, there’s options for all tastes
+ The neighborhood is also very cool, with some high-end shops or car dealers nearby and also many nice bars and restaurants within walking distance (some right outside and a few more within 5 to 10 min walk). Before we came, we were wondering if the hotel was relatively isolated (on foot we mean) due to its location on the edge of the embankment, in the cross-roads of wide avenues, but it was a very good surprise to see there were so many options to dine out nearby.
+ The pool/spa was closed for maintenance during our stay but we are sure it is top notch, judging by all the other services provided at the hotel
+ The hotel building is really very beautiful, majestic, and splendorous. The building is perfectly taken care of, both outside and inside.
Just two small minuses:
- Our receptionist at check-in was very arrogant throughout the entire process, for no intelligible reason. Maybe the poor girl was frustrated with something else. All the other hotel staff members were very kind and professional… but the hotel management should be careful regarding who is in the front office, because there is no second chance to create a first good impression.
- It is the hotel policy to block on the credit card the entire amount of the stay at the time of check-in. This has nothing to do with the rate chosen, it is the hotel policy for all rooms and rates. Apparently, this is a practice in Moscow. The hotel also want an extra deposit for all other services but our receptionist incorrectly told us it was an optional deposit for the mini-bar. We decided to not leave it, because had no intention to use the minibar. Later we found out we could not charge any service to the room and settle at the end (as common practice in most hotels worldwide) and, instead, were required to pay all extra services on the spot
We think that, at reservation time, the hotel should warn the guests that the entire sum of the stay plus 10,000 RUR for extras will be blocked at check-in, to avoid unnecessary friction. Secondly, the management should carefully train their receptionists to communicate the guarantee requirement to guests clearly and without arrogance. This is a relative sensitive topic to most guests, so it is better to be clear and transparent.
Anyway, we quickly left this incident behind, because everything else in the hotel is great. From now on, the Radisson Royal will be in our top 3 recommendations to friends or colleagues visiting Moscow! If you want to know the others, don’t hesitate to ask us or just read our other Moscow reviews:)

Room Tip: As high as possible. If you want a King size bed, make sure to specify it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Masha_and_luckybear
radisson_royal, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Masha_and_Luckybear,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing a review on TripAdvisor.
It does not happen often when our guests are taking their time and leaving such a long and detailed feedbacks. We really appreciate your contribution and would definitely use your constructive criticism to polish our operations and bring quality standards to yet even higher levels. Thank you for highlighting the variety of our on-site dining options, as well as in-room amenities and noise resistant windows. You are right regarding the location – despite the fact that our property is located not within a short walk to the city center, the designated nearby area full of top notch restaurants. It’s great to know, that besides some negative aspects you did enjoy staying with us and would recommend our property to other travellers. It’s pity, that you have experienced some issues during your check-in process and misunderstandings concerning the deposit rules. As we have previously mentioned, we will follow up on this situation and make everything possible to prevent such occasions in future. It would be true honor to welcome you back on your next visit to Moscow!

Alexandroupoli, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great landmark building, this wonderful Hotel at the riverbed just 5 minutes walking from the centre
Very beautiful lobby and central area's, nice classic rooms and very good breakfast.
Helpful and friendly staff

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
Dear Mr. PeterSilvainMooij,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow and we are very pleased to see you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for highlighting the key features of our property. It's a pleasure to know that we have met your expectations and made your stay memorable. We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Radisson Royal, Moscow!

Anna Pavlova
Tehran, Iran
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

every thing sounded ideal when we were going to reach the hotel . tour leader explanation about history of hotel building , external view ,....everything were fantastic . unfortunately driver of bus turned wrong and went to back of the hotel , first surprise: area was really disordered , container of garbage ,...
we reached main door which was closed and there was a small door in left side, a metal detector gate in a narrow corridor , three guards who were watching seriously every body who entered or exited the hotel like as bank guards . luggage's loaded off by travelers and bell boys limited their services only to their eyes which followed us up to reception desk ( this was second surprise that repeated when we left the hotel) . hopefully rooms has been fixed formerly and as soon as we entered we received keys ,...
I should state every thing in the room were perfect , cleaning of the room , service facilities ,...(.except Wi-Fi which almost were not available). Hotel facilities like as pool, breakfast services with wide range of selection ,... ,really was excellent and luxury that cause me to appreciate management and staff of the hotel .
the third surprise happened when we were checking out , I was requested to find my pass port from more than 100 ones which were put on the desk (after a few minute checking of reception staff for finding the pass port which has had no result ).
anyhow hotel is located in the best place ,with fantastic architectural view , with perfect standard facilities , with Cruises that can provide you a memorable night on the Moscow river ,... It is really a 5 star standard hotel, however when I am thinking for behavior of staff that what that I explained above ,...my feeling says that hotel was managed like as a big office not a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MohammadNejad
radisson_royal, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear MohammadNejad,
Thank you for staying with us and leaving a constructive review on TripAdvisor.
On behalf of the entire team we would like to apologize for all the inconveniences. I would like to inform you, that all your comments regarding the service quality issues will be transferred to the hotel`s management. Regarding the mess around our property we would like to note, that most of the nearby areas does not belong to the hotel and maintained by the administration of the city of Moscow. The surrounding area is disordered at the moment due to the construction works of building up the new metro station which is a necessity in such a big and constantly developing city. Nevertheless, we are very happy to read your kind words regarding our location, infrastructure, rooms and in-room amenities. Also please accept our special thanks for your comments about our supper-buffet breakfast in Veranda Restaurant breakfast and about swimming pool at the Royal Wellness Club. We sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back in Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow.
tehran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

We spent 3 memorable nights during our staying there. Its building, is one of seven sisters constructions in Moscow with perspective view near river. The location is good. Staffs were kind and helpful but unemotional! furniture, hygiene and Wi-Fi were excellent.
Breakfast was actually the best.
Don t miss 33th flour specially at nights.
One note about pool: swimming was impossible for children(13-14Y)!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
radisson_royal, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear negarr,
Thank you for staying at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow and submitting a review on TripAdvisor. It’s always great pleasure for us to receive positive comments and 5 rating reviews. Thanks again for giving us the highest score despite some negative issues mentioned in your feedback. It would be true honor for us to welcome you again on your next visit to Moscow!
Best regards,
Guest relations manager
Hamadan, Iran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at this beautiful top five-star hotel as a couple. The check-in was easy and the staff was very polite and helpful. Our (first) room was a standard one on the sixth floor. It only had a view to the patio. When you open the door you encounter a luxury, well-designed, clean and beautiful room. The room is equipped with every imaginable amenity. At the first night I found out that the WIFI was too weak to be usable. So in the morning I talked to the reception and asked her for help. She suggested me to change our room to resolve the problem. And she did it immediately. We were then transferred to the 12th floor. This time the room was a bit smaller but did have a wonderful view to the west of the city. The breakfast was excellent. A variety of things for every taste. The hotel has its own dock. Do not miss a cruise on the Moscow river. It will be memorable.

In summery, everything was excellent. The Radisson really deserves 5 stars. I recommend it to everybody who is going to visit Moscow either for business or pleasure.

Stayed August 2014
radisson_royal, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear F-Jafarpour,
Thank you for staying at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow and submitting a review on TripAdvisor! Please accept our special thanks for your kind comments regarding our property, in-room amenities and quality of service. Thanks you for your patience with the WiFi and changing the room with a good grace. It would be pleasure for us to be your host again on your next visit to Moscow!

Elena Vlasova
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

This property continues to deliver consistent service and value as an upscale property in Moscow. It is hard to fault anything. Breakfast, although pricey if you have to pay separately, is simply superior. The rest of the eating options, even though each threatening to break the bank, are top notch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear ObviousMan,
Thank you for staying with us and submitting a feedback on TripAdvisor.
It is a pleasure for us to read, that you rate Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow as an upscale property, consider our breakfast superior and all our dining options as top notch. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you again at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow!

Elena Vlasova