“Comfy hotel, good location but overpriced”

Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow
Ranked #14 of 326 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Historical building as it was Ukraine hotel and 1 of 7 Stalin skyscraper buildings, not far from Old Arbat the famous pedestrian street. My room facing the Moscow river and The White House (The Government Building). The interior was nice and the service is quick. Staff was very friendly in general.
Try to book club floors you will have better view and service.

Room Tip: Don't book the rooms at podium you may end up with your room has no view and far away from elev...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
radisson_royal, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Dangminhtruong,
Thank you for choosing our hotel and leaving a positive review. We appreciate your comments about our historical building, location and staff. Also please accept our special thanks for your recommendations for other tourists about room preferences and Executive Floor. We understand that you may find our costs of services on the higher end compared to similar destinations, however we can assure you, that they are not more expensive than at other 5* properties in Moscow. Would be happy to welcome you back!

Best Wishes,
Anna Pavlova

Reviewed 23 August 2014

At first I have to say that this hotel is a one of the seven sister building in city center of Moscow, Russia. A one of highest building in city that I think it was a nicest. When I arrived to hotel at 17/08/2014 it was my first surprise to see the lobby. A lobby with big rotating door. A nice painting on top. I went to reception and it was my second surprising when I saw the Moscow DAYAROMA with best lighting. then I received my card and went to 5th floor with elevator(there are 6 elevator to move passenger as fast as possible) and opened the room door.
I have to say that the room was very neat and furnished with mini bar that it opened by one touch technology and rest room was very clear and furnished with towels and bathroom accessories. After that I went to the 29th floor on the top of the building where there is a restaurant with bar and I could see Moscow view over there. There are more than ten restaurant in this hotel and the best one was FARSI restaurant in 3th floor,a place that has interior design in accordance with IRANIAN arts and food the waiters dressed with IRANIAN culture that served the people. Wellness club was in 1 floor.a place with pool,sauna,gym,jacuzzi,solarium,spa center and steam HAMMAM. Radisson Royal hotel has many boat on Moscow river and passengers can take a ticket and enjoy river trip during day and night.at last i want to say that Radisson Royal hotel is very luxury and magic...

Room Tip: Rooms with river view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MasihAfzali
Roman K, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear manamsi,
Thank you for choosing Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow and leaving a positive review. It is a great pleasure to read, that you enjoyed time spent with us and had a chance to have a meal at our Iranian restaurant Farsi. Also, thanks for positive comments regarding the diorama “Moscow – the capital of the USSR”, quality of service and the wellness centre. It would be true honor for us to welcome you back!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The building is one of the Moscow seven sisters (Stalinist skyscrapers). Staying at such a building would be unique experience. I could not stop looking at the building from outside, it is really beautiful and magnificent. With big and comfortable rooms, well trained staff, luxury architecture and material, deliciuos and variouse breakfast buffet and its good location we experienced a valuable stay at Radisson Royal hotel. You only might feel uncomfortable by seeing the x-ray gates and guards at the entrace and too many security guys in different parts of the hotel. Specially the guard carrying baton who stands at the entrance of the restuarant is really weird!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Roman K, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Kourosh A,
Thank you for staying with us and submitting a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to read that the quality of service, location and exterior look of our building impressed you and made feel welcomed. We understand that the amount of security staff and x-ray machine at the entrance might look distractive and not fit with the regular expectation of 5* properties at other destinations. However we would like to note that this is a necessity due to our close proximity to the House of Government of Russian Federation, The Embassy of the UK, The Embassy of the USA etc. This is a regular practice in Russia and can be met at other hotels, located next to important administrative buildings. Nevertheless, thanks again for positive comments and recommending our hotel for a stay. It would be pleasure for us to be your host again on your next visit to Moscow!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

It would be a fantastic stay in Radisson hotel of Moscow,one of the seven sisters of Stalin; and you will be proud if you see that people have come to visit your hotel as one the gorgeous monuments and places of the city!
everything was in the suitable position and in the correct form; but it was better for a 5 star hotel to have a special buffet for muslims to encourage them to come.
All in all you will have a nice stay if you chose it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RaheIsfahan

Dear HAFEZOLFORGHAN,
Thank you for choosing Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow for your stay in Moscow and leaving a positive feedback. It is a great pleasure for us to read, that you enjoyed your time spent with us and had a chance to discover Moscow during your visit. We would also like to thank you for your suggestion regarding organizing a special buffet line at the breakfast and will definitely share it with the management. It would be pleasure for us to welcome you back!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stay here several months ago, but the memory of the stay has not faded.

The property is absolutely beautiful. The fact that it is one of Stalin's Seven Sisters also makes staying there pretty noteworthy.

Check-in was pretty good, and the desk staff were good at understanding some special requests I had, which was very helpful, though kind of expected at this level property.

Room service requests were sporadic. Sometimes it was quick and perfect (which it should be, the prices are bracing), and others a bit slow with items missing (like the coffee one morning!)

We ended up getting a room upgrade, at my request, and the room was phenomenal. But the service remained spotty.

The biggest problem was dinner at the rooftop Buono Restaurant. Interestingly the food was delicious. But the two servers were positively surly. The level of communication was very poor, in spite of repeated attempts to "engage" them proved fruitless. Moreover, I confronted the manager about the service. She said, "they are having a tough night". I nearly fell over. Since when did it become my problem that they were having a tough night? Wow! For the prices they charge, I expected something approaching perfection, and they missed by a mile.

The final problem was a bit unusual. In a moment of brainlessness, I forgot my laptop in the room. This was only realized when at the airport, and there was no time to go back and fetch it. Thus I called the hotel to ensure that they'd put it in safe keeping and forward it to me.

Well, I did get my laptop. The initial request from the hotel was for me to arrange the pickup etc. Which frankly seemed bizarre. They are a decent size business with undoubted contacts as well as a contract with DHL (or similar) through Radisson. After much negotiation, they agreed to pack it up (sans battery due to some apparent shipping restriction) and ship it, on my tab. So they sent me a document to sign authorizing payment, and I sent it back.

Then...the box apparently weighted more than they originally thought. So they asked me to complete another form for the difference. That's when I completely lost it. I've left things in other hotels and they've sent them to me gratis. But I was willing to bite the bullet simply because I needed the laptop for some items stored on it. But to put a guest through the paperwork for a few euros after dropping a fair sum in the hotel. That's just silly. In the end, they waived the fee, but it took a major blowup from me to make it happen.

The manager sent me an e-mail, which was appreciated, but rang so hollow. If he'd have offered some sort of compensation, that would have been great. At a certain juncture, an apology is a bit short of the mark.

In the end, corporate provided some goldpoints to be redeemed later. But it all stretched out way too long.

In summary, this property has the potential to be an absolutely mind-blowing experience. The history, the architecture, the quality of the rooms - all unquestionably five stars. But the erratic quality of service prevents the facility from deserving such a rating. Moreover, I really think they had a chance to restore some of my ill will with the laptop. It was a perfect inflection point to turn things around, but they blew it.

I'd love to return, but I'd need some strong indication that things had truly changed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TimFargo
radisson_royal, General Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Tefargo,
First of all let me thank you for staying at Radisson Royal Hotel,
Moscow and let me apologize for any inconvenience caused during your
stay back in September 2013. I have taken over the position of General
Manager of this landmark hotel just a few months ago, however I have
investigated the issue already and reviewed our procedures. It is
always great when our guests are sharing their experience with us, so
we are able to follow-up in order to get better and offer world-class
hospitality. We continuously follow up with our partners operating our
restaurants and during my next meeting I will share with the
management your experience and might advice some training techniques
to improve level of service.

In regards to your laptop, I understood from your review that my team
members tried to assist, however couldn’t manage to satisfy your
expectations and we will definitely review our ‘lost & found’
procedures to assure a smooth return of goods forgotten in our hotel.
Also we will try to negotiate special prices with DHL so that our
guest can benefit from, in case needed.

Since I wasn’t able to be in touch with you during your last visit it
would be my great pleasure to meet you during your next visit or you
can contact me via Stefan.Kuehr@radisson-hotels.ru to share with me
additional feedback about your experience in our hotel.

Once again let me thank you for your kind comments about our property
and don’t hesitate to contact me when planning your next visit to
Moscow and the Radisson Royal Hotel.

Yours sincerely
Stefan Kuehr

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had to stay at the Radisson Royal during a period my girlfriend was having repairs at home. This hotel has everything to grant you a wonderful stay, hypothetically without having to get away from it for several days. Here’s a summary of its strongest points:
+ Our room (it was s ‘Superior room’ i.e. the standard of the hotel) was very fine in size, comfort and amenities. The bed was very comfortable, the view was great (our room was on 19th floor, we asked as high as possible) and the room was very quiet because of the double windows. Literally zero noise, one of the most quiet hotel rooms we have ever stayed
+ Very complete hotel with several nice restaurants and bars of different styles. Note: All of these are independently managed and are refined places used by Muscovites for a night out. They are not just the typical hotel restaurant … From the formal Buono restaurant with rooftop views, to trendy terraces in the ground floor, sea-food restaurant, a more relaxed steakhouse or the more formal Iranian restaurant on 3rd floor, there’s options for all tastes
+ The neighborhood is also very cool, with some high-end shops or car dealers nearby and also many nice bars and restaurants within walking distance (some right outside and a few more within 5 to 10 min walk). Before we came, we were wondering if the hotel was relatively isolated (on foot we mean) due to its location on the edge of the embankment, in the cross-roads of wide avenues, but it was a very good surprise to see there were so many options to dine out nearby.
+ The pool/spa was closed for maintenance during our stay but we are sure it is top notch, judging by all the other services provided at the hotel
+ The hotel building is really very beautiful, majestic, and splendorous. The building is perfectly taken care of, both outside and inside.
Just two small minuses:
- Our receptionist at check-in was very arrogant throughout the entire process, for no intelligible reason. Maybe the poor girl was frustrated with something else. All the other hotel staff members were very kind and professional… but the hotel management should be careful regarding who is in the front office, because there is no second chance to create a first good impression.
- It is the hotel policy to block on the credit card the entire amount of the stay at the time of check-in. This has nothing to do with the rate chosen, it is the hotel policy for all rooms and rates. Apparently, this is a practice in Moscow. The hotel also want an extra deposit for all other services but our receptionist incorrectly told us it was an optional deposit for the mini-bar. We decided to not leave it, because had no intention to use the minibar. Later we found out we could not charge any service to the room and settle at the end (as common practice in most hotels worldwide) and, instead, were required to pay all extra services on the spot
We think that, at reservation time, the hotel should warn the guests that the entire sum of the stay plus 10,000 RUR for extras will be blocked at check-in, to avoid unnecessary friction. Secondly, the management should carefully train their receptionists to communicate the guarantee requirement to guests clearly and without arrogance. This is a relative sensitive topic to most guests, so it is better to be clear and transparent.
Anyway, we quickly left this incident behind, because everything else in the hotel is great. From now on, the Radisson Royal will be in our top 3 recommendations to friends or colleagues visiting Moscow! If you want to know the others, don’t hesitate to ask us or just read our other Moscow reviews:)

Room Tip: As high as possible. If you want a King size bed, make sure to specify it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Masha_and_luckybear
radisson_royal, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Masha_and_Luckybear,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing a review on TripAdvisor.
It does not happen often when our guests are taking their time and leaving such a long and detailed feedbacks. We really appreciate your contribution and would definitely use your constructive criticism to polish our operations and bring quality standards to yet even higher levels. Thank you for highlighting the variety of our on-site dining options, as well as in-room amenities and noise resistant windows. You are right regarding the location – despite the fact that our property is located not within a short walk to the city center, the designated nearby area full of top notch restaurants. It’s great to know, that besides some negative aspects you did enjoy staying with us and would recommend our property to other travellers. It’s pity, that you have experienced some issues during your check-in process and misunderstandings concerning the deposit rules. As we have previously mentioned, we will follow up on this situation and make everything possible to prevent such occasions in future. It would be true honor to welcome you back on your next visit to Moscow!

Warmest Regards,
Ekaterina Kadychkina

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great landmark building, this wonderful Hotel at the riverbed just 5 minutes walking from the centre
Very beautiful lobby and central area's, nice classic rooms and very good breakfast.
Helpful and friendly staff

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr. PeterSilvainMooij,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Radisson Royal Hotel, Moscow and we are very pleased to see you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for highlighting the key features of our property. It's a pleasure to know that we have met your expectations and made your stay memorable. We are looking forward to welcoming you back at Radisson Royal, Moscow!

Warmest Regards,