Baikal Hotel
  • Breakfast included
US$148
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Vega Hotel & Convention Center(Moscow)(Great Value!)
US$49
US$48
  • Restaurant
US$317
US$307
US$366
US$328
  • Pool
Hilton Moscow Leningradskaya(Moscow)(Great Value!)
US$213
HotelQuickly
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 June 2013

A positive experience. We felt safe at the hotel. Baikal is short walk away to the Metro. Very clean area. Surtainly the place for our next stay in Moscow. A fine surprise was that the shared bathroom at the corridor, was a fine bathroom only for my friend and I !
We felt that it was a fine vue to a small part of russian life.

Room Tip: My friend and I ordered a double room, but had each a singleroom, and a shared bathroom.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JohanneGj
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This is the kind of place no literal person would ever book for themselves unless someone rather stingy would have arranged it for them for the sake of saving money only, no matter how disgusting it is (like an organisation with a very tight budget taking no care of the health and safety of their employees).
I spotted a cockroach in my room and my mum made a joke that it should be able to get easily into my suitcase and travel back with me. Just to clarify - I had lived in a student accommodation in Moscow for 5 years, so I have seen quite a few cockroaches in my life, plus I read the reviews posted about this hotel, so prepared myself for everything. This experience came nonetheless as a shocking surprise. Eventually, I got a mouse running out of my suitcase, which is the only reason why I decided to devote my time to writing this review (see the photo of the animal attached)...
To be concise, the rooms are dirty, dusty, mouldy, stinky, windows falling apart, bathrooms unattended, with cockroaches, wi-fi near the reception only. The staff are unfriendly, ignorant and can't be trusted. The corridors are long, narrow, dark and confusing. Overall, this hotel presents an extremely dangerous environment for everyone.. But let's start from the very beginning...
I arrived late (~10 -11 pm), but fortunately still had some energy to try !!four!! different rooms before I could find a decent pigeon hole that was less of a hazard compared to the previous ones.
The first room was incredibly stinky as smoking is allowed everywhere. There is no conditioning so the only way of surviving here would be to open the windows. By doing that, however, you surely deprive yourself from sleep, cause the windows are coming out straight on a busy (4 lanes) street with notorious motorbikes. However, it was not exactly this that shocked me really. The shower room was covered with !!black mould!! (see the photo) and the smell in the bathroom was typical.
Another shower cabin was moulded moderately but the windows in the room were wooden and stuck wide open without any possibility of being closed. My experience was finished with black stains and someone's dark short hair on the pillow (I am blond so could not be mine :))
The receptionist promised to change the bed sheets and understanding that the window permanently open to be the key problem he happily gave me the keys of another room. Indeed the wooden window should not be a problem there - in the sense that it was completely sealed with a dirty and dusty sellotape (see the photo), allowing the air inside from the street along with the intolerable sounds produced by cars and motorbikes.
So, being totally exhausted I chose the fourth room that appeared to be a rather decent one at first sight (at least at midnight after a long trip), and would stay so if I did not decide to use the shower. The water did not go through the drain and I found it out only after having made a flood in the bathroom. The next day, after I had reported this incident at least three times it was fixed but the dirt remained for the next 2 days. I noticed that the maids only vacuum clean and replace towels on request normally leaving the shower room unattended. It was always so dirty as if it had not been cleaned for weeks or months.
..After having slept in this dusty, stinky room I got a blocked nose and terrible headaches and was struggling to breathe even several hours later.
I thought that translating this review into other languages could be a good idea as this might help potential visitors to avoid putting their well-being at risk by trusting people who dare to do shameless business by running a hotel like this one.

Room Tip: the 1st building gives a better impression than the 2nd..
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Milana89
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Horrible place, cheap by Moscow standards, but the quality is below even the cheapest motels in the US. We had a meeting arranged in the nearby area early in the morning, and booked the hotel to save some time on commuting. The street noise was so intense we couldn't deafen it even with earplugs, however while making the booking on the phone we were assured that all rooms were recently renovated and sound-proof windows were installed. Furniture, beds, linen, towels were all worn and shabby. You get the picture. Avoid at any cost.

Room Tip: I don't think there are good rooms in this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank 13alex13
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Just returned from a week long stay at the Baikal.
It's absolutely what you would expect for the price
(which is a good bargain in Moscow !)
The lobby area is newly remodeled, the rooms
are clean. The beds are dorm style thin mattress,
with the "brick" style Russian pillow ! Bring
a big towel because typical Russian towels are like US
hand towel size. My room faced a busy street, but other
rooms (higher floors) were very quiet. I had a single -shared bathroom with a shower- clean and functional. TV + phone+ fridge. I saw the doubles which have a "living room" , a bedroom, and a private bath. The staff are helpful, but obviously not smiley/friendly like some Americans expect-this is Russia ! They have 24 hour cafes/bars inside the hotel - menus are in Russian. The metro stop is a 10 minute walk- this hotel is in the very northeastern part of the city, about 6 stops to the center city (Red Square). There is a cafe, coffee shop, and grocery store across the street but you have to look- they are not obvious if you don't read Russian. Good park nearby-Botanical garden-that is the name of the metro stop.
Internet across the street in the Tourist building for 50 rubles
per half an hour. Bring a roll or toilet paper or buy the soft stuff
across the street- the TP here is a bit rough ! Do not expect people to speak English - this is Russia ! I would recommend the Baikal, especially if you are on a budget ! Most importantly- I felt safe ! Also, tip folks 100 rubles here and there ($5 USD)
they really appreciate it as most Russians do not usually tip.
In terms of family-friendly, there were Russian families and student groups staying here
but just be aware this is not the Holiday Inn in Red Square- you
are in a real Russian hotel. There is a bar with "dancers" and
occasionaly some late night (1-3am) activity and revelers in the lobby. But who is up at that hour if you've been walking the city all day- you are fast asleep with tired feet !

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank worldly_8
Reviewed 23 May 2008

Just got back from a 3 night experience. The place is an absolute nightmare. We were placed in a 3 bed room with a stinking floor, wallpaper hanging off the stained walls, a bathroom with no hot water and a toilet that refused to flush. The bathroom really was something to savour with its rusted pipes and toilet which would not have looked out of place in a Russian prison.. Random peices of wallpaper had been stuck on the walls to cover the bits where the previous occupants had ripped sections off. There were blood stains smattered across the ceiling and the minibar consisted of an ancient rusted fridge. We didn't plug it in because we were simply not brave enough. I have stayed in really basic accomodation many times and am no snob (I am a football fan and simply wanted somewhere to get my head down for the Champions League Final) but I have never, ever, seen anything like this before.
Everyone else we spoke to over the three days said that their hotel was fine with hot water and basic cleanliness, so my advice is to give this place a wide berth. Honest!
The city itself,Red Square etc, is fantastic and well worth seeing. Just don't do it from here.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends