“New & Clean, but with all the charm and flexibility of Intourist circa 1980!”

Crowne Plaza Moscow World Trade Centre
Ranked #29 of 309 Hotels in Moscow
dc
“New & Clean, but with all the charm and flexibility of Intourist circa 1980!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2008

I stayed in a great room with a balcony and a view of the river and the (Russian) White House. The room was large and clean, and the furnishings were fine. However, I've stayed in several different hotels (and hostels) in Moscow, and for the prices they charge here I really expected something more.

Although they advertise that they have multiple restaurants and bars and other services, most of them are only open for very limited hours, or not at all. Admittedly, I was staying over the "Victory Day" holiday, so maybe they normally keep better hours.

I found the location to be extremely inconvenient. Although it is close to the city center, it is about as far as you can get from any subway station and still be in downtown Moscow. The worse part is that they know that they are the only option for most services, so expect to pay a hefty "convenience" tax for anything you use. Some examples:

Breakfast - The Trade Center boasts that they have something like 7 restaurants on the site, and I saw breakfast menus for 3, but the only place I found open in the mornings was the breakfast buffet, with a set price of 900 rubles per person (about 40 dollars, or 28 euros). You could get an espresso from the attached bar (120 rubles), but if you wanted anything like a pastry or a simple boiled egg, . . . 900 rubles.

Supermarket - Yes, it is convenient. But the prices range from double to quadruple what you would pay if you walked 15 minutes to the 1905 Ulitsa station. (plus it's not open in the morning when I wanted an alternative to the 900 ruble breakfast buffet)

MiniBar - Sure, all hotels make a killing off their minibar, but this place was simply ridiculous. I can't remember any exact prices, but it was something like 200 rubles for a tiny bottle of orange juice. A bottle of beer wasn't much worse, maybe 250 r for a heinekin. The minifridge was crammed with a wide range of ridiculously priced hard liquors, so I guess the selection could be seen as a positive. No real food items other than a Mars candy bar for something like 150 r.

Money Exchange - guess what, you are out of luck! There is no exchange inside the complex, and the nearest one I could find was at the 1905 station. Actually, it would be about the same distance to the one in the Hotel Ukraina across the river, but if you are going that way, you might as well bring your suitcase and stay there instead! There are several ATM-like options in the lobby, but you should consider these to be more like slot machines. One of the nicer clerks at the front desk actually warned me not to use them, but I was desperate for rubles to use in the supermarket. Of course, it ate my 50 dollar bill. The clerks at the service desk tried to be helpful and told me all I had to do was fill out a simple form and whatever mystery company owned the machines would refund the money directly to my account. Basically, the form asked for everything this mystery company might need to empty my bank account for me - my name, birth date, checking account #, routing #, swift code, etc.. Not that I even have all that information with me when I travel, but the clerks seemed genuinely surprised that I was not eager to share this information.

Business Center - they always seemed to be away at lunch. A colleague who used them reported that their prices were outrageous. I never found them open to find this out for myself. I suggest you use one of the many internet centers downtown (my favorite is in the basement of the shopping mall near red square - cheap, fast connections, up-to-date virus scanners, and knowledgable staff).

The rate I was paying jumped from 6000 rubles a night to 10000 on the last night I was there (after their 18% VAT, this came to $495 that night). This was the same day that housekeeping failed to visit my room. I wasn't really upset, because I'm normally a low-maintenance kind of guy and re-using towels or sleeping in an unmade bed won't hurt me. But for nearly $500 a night I think they could put in a little extra effort.

• Disliked — inconvenient . . . to everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank toomanyscreennames

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2008

Although this Crowne Plaza is a little out of the center, it is one of the better hotel experiences i have had in Moscow.

The hotel is located in a trade center, with a number of resteraunta and even a supermarket in the environs, so you can forget about worrying regarding eating and drinking.

The rooms are typical CP group but the communal spaces are huge with floral displays, water features, and a huge ornate clock.

Downside is its a taxi ride to the main featutres of Moscow
(its on the bank opposite the Ukraine hotel).

Price reflects the location and it is a much better deal than the Tverskaya and central hotels, i really liked it, and will use all the time nowadays

• Liked — its quite unusual, and the staff are great
  • Disliked — taxi ride to central area
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank personanongrata
The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2008

At the moment I arrived to the main entrance I realised that the service is not at the Crowne Plaza level. I had couple of bags but nobody came up to help me, I had to bring them by myself. The check in time took me about 20 minutes, quite long isnt'it? Later on I wanted to have a dinner and went downstairs but the restaurant attendant told me that I have only 15 minutes before the restaurant will be closed. The name of the restaurant was THE RED LION. Wi-Fi cards are not available at the reception, only at the business center, but the business center is closed at 21.00! I would not recommend this hotel to anybody! I stayed one night and moved to another one. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Adel1980
Atlanta,GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2007

This is a great hotel...it is just outside the city core ---about a 15 minute walk by the river to the central core.

The hotel is in great condition and is adjoined to a convention centre, there are a lot of restaurants in the complex and area. There is a good 10 minute uphill clime to the subway Utilsa 1905 station. The area is very safe as well

The staff is very accommodating, but best of all is the view overlooking the Moscow River, with the city in the background...

Stay here...a very good choice when visiting Moscow

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bonvoyageATL
Randers, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2007

Located on the banks of the Moscow River, at the World Trade Center (nearest Metro is 15 mins walk).
A very modern hotel with impressively huge lobby area.
The onsite gym is great although a little dated by London/western standards - lots of free weights and fixed weights, plus a handful of cardio bikes and mills. All you need for a short stay. The pool area is also nice for adults and kids alike. Gym is included in the price.

The WTC has about 5 restaurants - all serving til 11pm. The standard is very good. If a little pricey (hey its Moscow).

The only downside is that its not very central to go for an evening stroll. Its on the intersection of some major through roads, and you're dicing with traffic. I walked to Red Square - took about an hour... but it was worth it.

• Liked — Gym and Restaurants
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank englaender
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2007

I booked the Mezh on recommendation of a friend.
Upon arriving at the hotel at 20:00 I was told that the computer systems were down, and that therefore there was a delay checking me in. I went for a drink in one of the 3 bars they have in the hotel, and kept going back to reception to check the situation. To cut a long story short, it was 01:30 before I was finally allowed to check in. The computer systems were still down, but they had decided to check people in manually. However, this did not mean that I was given a room key - someone had to come up to let me into my room. This continued for the next 2 days of my stay there. Whenever I left the room, I would have to queue up at the reception to ask them to let me into my room. They would then call the chambermaid who would (hopefully) be on my floor to let me in. You can imagine the security implications of such a system, whereby I could have asked the maid to let me into any room in the hotel, claiming it to be mine. This whole palaver was just tiresome in the extreme, and I was made to feel like a pain in the ass for asking people to let me into my room.
The room itself was fine - with a lovely view of the Moscva and the Ukraine hotel on the other side. The hotel was next to the Expocenter, which was the purpose of my trip, so for that it was very handy. However, I would probably stay in a hotel nearer the centre of the city in future.
One of the posts talks about a fantastic breakfast. I don't know about fantastic (especially the omelette....), but it was a large spread and there was loads of choice - worth getting up for.
I didn't find the staff particularly helpful, especially the concierge, who advised me on two occasions that there were no plug adapters in the hotel, only for the friendly chambermaids to find one for me a day later. The receptionist who seemed at least interested in making better of the problems and who seemed the most sympathetic was a chap called Artiom, I think.
All the services in the hotel were very expensive - 21st century Moscow I guess, but the restaurant costs, WLAN costs were just excessive.
All in all, I would not stay here again. The price paid certainly did not match my expectations of service or comfort.

• Liked — The foyer and room
  • Disliked — The poor check-in service
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank pkbpkb
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2006

I went on a tour based on 4 star hotels to Moscow and St.Petesburg. In the second city I stayed in the Pulkovskaya which was disappointing, but Mezhdunarodnaya was above my expectations (in fact my travel agency was going to send us to Ukraina and they changed in the last minute).

The hotel is modern and functional, with nice architecture and its own personality, not as the massive and big hotels in many cities. It has plenty of services inside: good restaurants, supermarket, bank, travel agency, shopping centers. Staff is friendly and at the reception they speak English. Rooms are not too big, but modern, comfortable and clean and also a nice view to the river Moskova and Ukraine hotel which is in front of the hotel.

Breakfast depends what you are getting: the "standard" one is very poor and not good at all, but buffet breakfast which costs around 19 euros is excellent! maybe I should blame my travel agency for not negotiating this in the price, but at least they chose a good hotel.

The only buts are the following: it is far from the center and the nearest metro station (1905 Gora) is 15 minutes on foot and then 15-20 minutes to the Red Square. There are some "girls looking for plans" next to the main bar in the hotel and although any of them bothered me I do not find acceptable that these people enter in a hotel of this category.

Overall I was very satisfied with this hotel and I may come back if I go to Moscow.

• Stayed April 2006