“very good hotel”

Ranked #30 of 313 Hotels in Moscow
Scarborough, England
“very good hotel”
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I stayed here for a long weekend and found everything about the hotel great. The staff were charming and friendly - once you had shown that you wanted to be friendly!!! The food was excellent - but do not expect anything cheap - the prices are pretty high - but probably no worse than the centre of any major city. We walked to Red Square and the Kremlin - about 3 miles each way. Not there long enough to need any laundry etc - but there is an iron and ironing board in the room and when I asked for extra coffee and pillows they were there in less than 5 minutes.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
7 Thank DizD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 3 November 2008

I stayed here three weeks for business.

The hotel rooms are perfectly adequate for a business or tourist stay (although if you're planning on ironing your shirts the iron was a bit lousy). I was on the 13th floor and the view is good from there.

Laundry is eye wateringly expensive, but I suppose this is pretty standard for Moscow hotels (90 roubles / ~£2 for a pair of socks).

The only area I was really happy with was that they have quite a good gym and a nice swimming pool, which is lucky as you'll need to work off your frustration at the absolutely shocking service.

The staff are consistently rude. At reception eye rolling is standard, as is general curtness and impatience with requests.

Some of the restaurant staff are OK, but most are also pretty disinterested in offering anything approaching service.

As an example of a total lack of customer service I wanted to leave one bag at the hotel for one night while I travelled to St Pete, in a total three week stay, and the concept of them doing this for free was met with rudeness and disinterest (I'd just paid them over £2000 for that portion of my stay, so I didn't think this an unreasonable request).

While staying here I saw a number of other guests equally annoyed at the service.

I stayed in a couple of other Russian hotels, and this is not just a feature of Russian service, the Crowne Plaza staff are just rude and / or badly trained.

I've given them a one because although the rooms are fine, gym nice etc, at the prices they charge and with the Crowne Plaza brand name the way they treat guests is simply not acceptable. (But in the interest of full disclosure I am writing this after reception was rude to me yet again while paying for a colleague's room, so arguably 1 is harsh, maybe it should be 2...)

• Liked — Gym
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Woodsta
London
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Check in was awful - the staff only seemed interested in getting things they needed - credit card etc but I got eye rolling when asked where I was supposed to go to find my room.

Rooms are fine but the wardrobe was small with an ironing board and iron hung inside so shirts and jackets couldn't be hung up properly.

Hotel information provided in the room was limited - no information about where you take breakfast, the location of the gym etc.

I ordered room service - my sandwhich arrived with chips that were pretty much raw. Any chef, or waiter taking one look at them would have known that they were clearly uncooked.

The following night I dinner in one of the restaurants - service was non-existent and diners were complaining as additional items were being added to their bills. My bill was brought to me and I was asked to pay straight away even though I was still eating.

I tried the Old Red Lion pub. Again really poor service. When my bill came, I was told that service was not included and that I HAD to pay service on top. I did so (stupidly) but as I did not have the exact amount they kept the extra too - and I got not a word of thanks.

At the business centre the staff member treated me as a complete incovenience when I went to buy a wi-fi card.

Good gym - better than most hotel gyms as it's open to the public but didn't open early so I was unable to use it before heading to the office.

The staff throughout the hotel were shockingly rude and offhand - sometimes to the point of aggressiveness. I don't speak russian and if staff couldn't understand me first time over the phone they would shout at me. They are the only major hotel in the new business district so I guess they can rely on getting business but I am surprised the Crowne Plaza group is not more protective of its brand.

If you can afford it, stay at the National near the Kremlin. Better area, lovely hotel, much better rooms and a much better location etc.

• Liked — The Gym
  • Disliked — the TERRIBLE service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank waynecom7
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2008

First impressions are great but not everything was as good as it should have been. The hotel is no doubt one of the better ones in Moscow and has all the appearances of a good western European hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable but the staff were not as attentive/efficient as they should have been. Breakfast was quite good with a fair range of food - we were on a tour so it was included. However, dinner at the hotel restaurant was so very expensive. The food was nice but boy, did we pay for it. We arrived back late one evening, the restaurant and supermarket were closed and because there were no other real options for a meal, we ordered room service. If we thought the restaurant was expensive, the cost of the room service was over the top and the food provided was absolute rubbish. I paid the equivelant of US$100 for a couple of snacks that were worth about $10. Whilst I would probably stay there again, I would be very wary of the price of the food.

• Liked — Good quality accommodation close to the centre of Moscow
  • Disliked — Cost of food.
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Bowral
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We booked for 3 nights as part of our tour of Scandinavia and Russia.

We arrived late on the first evening, and the check in girl couldn't find our reservation and tried to charge us again for our room - not a good start.

We head up to our room with our luggaeg only to find the girl hadn't activated our keycard.

Bad things got worse - I have never met anyone so rude as the staff in the Red Lion pub. As we were hungry, we headed to the pub located in the hotel and ordered some food - $25 for a bowl of soup!!!!!!!!!!! When I enquired about bread for the soup they brought it out, only to be charged $3 for 1 roll, and rhen $5 for the butter. I was not amused. I declined to leave a tip and asked for the 10% service to be withdrawn, this was greeted with insult after insult by the staff - they gave me my 20 rubles change in 1 cent coins, leaving me with a bag of money - calling it garbage and laughting throughout.

The pool was closed for maintenance and when asking for a refund as I had expected this, no-one could speak English well enough, despite being the very same staff who checked me in perfect English.

Surprise - the manager was nowhere to be found to complain.

On a good note, the rooms are nice and the breakfasts are delicious!!

• Stayed August 2008
4 Thank UKChris82
dc
Reviewed 13 May 2008

I stayed in a great room with a balcony and a view of the river and the (Russian) White House. The room was large and clean, and the furnishings were fine. However, I've stayed in several different hotels (and hostels) in Moscow, and for the prices they charge here I really expected something more.

Although they advertise that they have multiple restaurants and bars and other services, most of them are only open for very limited hours, or not at all. Admittedly, I was staying over the "Victory Day" holiday, so maybe they normally keep better hours.

I found the location to be extremely inconvenient. Although it is close to the city center, it is about as far as you can get from any subway station and still be in downtown Moscow. The worse part is that they know that they are the only option for most services, so expect to pay a hefty "convenience" tax for anything you use. Some examples:

Breakfast - The Trade Center boasts that they have something like 7 restaurants on the site, and I saw breakfast menus for 3, but the only place I found open in the mornings was the breakfast buffet, with a set price of 900 rubles per person (about 40 dollars, or 28 euros). You could get an espresso from the attached bar (120 rubles), but if you wanted anything like a pastry or a simple boiled egg, . . . 900 rubles.

Supermarket - Yes, it is convenient. But the prices range from double to quadruple what you would pay if you walked 15 minutes to the 1905 Ulitsa station. (plus it's not open in the morning when I wanted an alternative to the 900 ruble breakfast buffet)

MiniBar - Sure, all hotels make a killing off their minibar, but this place was simply ridiculous. I can't remember any exact prices, but it was something like 200 rubles for a tiny bottle of orange juice. A bottle of beer wasn't much worse, maybe 250 r for a heinekin. The minifridge was crammed with a wide range of ridiculously priced hard liquors, so I guess the selection could be seen as a positive. No real food items other than a Mars candy bar for something like 150 r.

Money Exchange - guess what, you are out of luck! There is no exchange inside the complex, and the nearest one I could find was at the 1905 station. Actually, it would be about the same distance to the one in the Hotel Ukraina across the river, but if you are going that way, you might as well bring your suitcase and stay there instead! There are several ATM-like options in the lobby, but you should consider these to be more like slot machines. One of the nicer clerks at the front desk actually warned me not to use them, but I was desperate for rubles to use in the supermarket. Of course, it ate my 50 dollar bill. The clerks at the service desk tried to be helpful and told me all I had to do was fill out a simple form and whatever mystery company owned the machines would refund the money directly to my account. Basically, the form asked for everything this mystery company might need to empty my bank account for me - my name, birth date, checking account #, routing #, swift code, etc.. Not that I even have all that information with me when I travel, but the clerks seemed genuinely surprised that I was not eager to share this information.

Business Center - they always seemed to be away at lunch. A colleague who used them reported that their prices were outrageous. I never found them open to find this out for myself. I suggest you use one of the many internet centers downtown (my favorite is in the basement of the shopping mall near red square - cheap, fast connections, up-to-date virus scanners, and knowledgable staff).

The rate I was paying jumped from 6000 rubles a night to 10000 on the last night I was there (after their 18% VAT, this came to $495 that night). This was the same day that housekeeping failed to visit my room. I wasn't really upset, because I'm normally a low-maintenance kind of guy and re-using towels or sleeping in an unmade bed won't hurt me. But for nearly $500 a night I think they could put in a little extra effort.

• Disliked — inconvenient . . . to everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank toomanyscreennames
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 11 May 2008

Although this Crowne Plaza is a little out of the center, it is one of the better hotel experiences i have had in Moscow.

The hotel is located in a trade center, with a number of resteraunta and even a supermarket in the environs, so you can forget about worrying regarding eating and drinking.

The rooms are typical CP group but the communal spaces are huge with floral displays, water features, and a huge ornate clock.

Downside is its a taxi ride to the main featutres of Moscow
(its on the bank opposite the Ukraine hotel).

Price reflects the location and it is a much better deal than the Tverskaya and central hotels, i really liked it, and will use all the time nowadays

• Liked — its quite unusual, and the staff are great
  • Disliked — taxi ride to central area
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business