“Let down by restaurant”

Ranked #15 of 313 Hotels in Moscow
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Let down by restaurant”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

It's very comfortable and the room standards are very high. The breakfast is one of the best we've had, but the evening meal is overpriced and poor quality. We had lamb which was completely tasteless, and my vegetables were rock-hard. The bill was, I thought, extortionate by comparison with what's available elsewhere in Moscow. The competition is very strong indeed. Some of the staff have rather poor English, which surprised me, and we had problems with the room key. We'd go again, but eat in only for breakfast

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the Kremlin are I suspect very expensive. Ours was on the side but perfectly accep...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Amazing location, just 10 min walk destination to the kremlin and as the result had a fantastic view from my room. I don’t know how it does look during the winter but June was a great time to enjoy Moscow…
Particularly in the hotel I really enjoyed kind of homier atmosphere. So staff is pretty welcomed and ready to help (obviously people friendly on the streets too)
What I really liked, it’s a “Russian” breakfast with the caviar and blinshiki)))
So, definitely next time…

Room Tip: Ask for a "kremlin" view
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hotel-Baltschug, Управляющий at Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear TimJozi,

We have read your comments about our stay with us and we greatly appreciated that you took the time to share them with us on TripAdvisor, as our guest’s satisfaction is one of our highest priorities.

We are delighted to hear that you spent a memorable time at the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow. With great pleasure we will share your positive comments with our Teams.

We all look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact our Lady in Red - Kempinski's brand ambassador who is at your service to ensure that your stay is effortless and enjoyable or me directly if we can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I went to Moscow on a business trip to attend the 21WPC, it was my first visit to Moscow, we had a major delay in the airport and I was almost sure the hotel car has left, to my surprise when we exited the airport there he was Mr Kim, he was one of the first of many things that made me fall in love with this hotel, the reception staff are great and efficient, concierge is professional and very very friendly, rooms are spacious and clean, housekeeping staff are amazing, room service is always on time and absolutely professional, the Kempinski has definitely made my first trip to Moscow both enjoyable and worthwhile. I would like to thank the management on such an outstanding job, and special thanks to Mr Kim for waiting almost 3 hours at the airport.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Manal A
Dear Manal A,

Warm greetings from the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow.

We greatly appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback and comments with us on TripAdvisor.

The valuable comments and feedback from our guests will assist us to constantly improve our services and move from "good to best".

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We all look forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had the chance to sty at the Kempinski Baltschug a couple of weeks ago for 3 nights during a business trip to Moscow. Overall a positive experience, the price/quality ratio in Moscow is difficult because you either have to choose the new super swanky chains (Hyatt, Ritz) for completely ridiculous prices, or go with the second tier 5* hotels, of which I consider the Baltschug to be part of. Second tier does not mean bad or worst, it means that it is perhaps more simple and better for those not willing to spend blindly on a hotel room. The lobby, at first sight is a little kitsch, but this is Moscow after all! It turned out to be an important spot during the three days, for discussions, meetings, etc... The only criticism I have there is the waiters can be a little slow if you are not directly next to the bar. The concierge was very helpful, organised everything we needed diligently and with a smile. The rooms are ok, not really 5* Kempinski standard in my opinion, but fine for a 3 day business trip. I had a superior room (which in fact is a standard room) with, unfortunately a view on the atrium, which is the breakfast restaurant. The restaurant was always empty, I then realised that breakfast was about USD 60 per person, no wonder it was always empty. The main restaurant also had the same pricing problem. As someone that works in this business, i feel the hoteliers are losing this battle. Very good medium priced restaurants are popping up all over moscow. The days of eating a USD 100 marble beef steak are over. The Baltschug should note this and change its standards. Only then will customers, and hotel guests start using the hotel facilities. Overall I would recommend, but not at any price. Make sure you ask for specifically for the bed you want (twin or queen, etc.) as you might be surprised, same goes with smoking and non-smoking rooms (although moscow will be non-smoking this month!).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the hotel. The view of the river much better than a view of the atr...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Koolshen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This has been an excellent hotel. It is in the best location right near Kremlin and the Red Square. Big rooms, and very comfortable. The service was fantastic, in fact it was my husbands birthday and as a lovely surprise they gave him a birthday cake, which was fabulous. The gym and pool are fantastic and also the breakfast not to miss.
If visiting Moscow this hotel is a fabulous choice.

Room Tip: I think all rooms would be good in this hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel-Baltschug, Администратор at Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Irena D,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay (particularly our breakfast, Baltschug Health Club, new rooms, restaurant, bar, etc.) and will share your opinion with all relevant staff members.

Please do not hesitate to contact our Lady in Red - Kempinski's brand ambassador who is at your service to ensure your stay is effortless and enjoyable - or me directly if we can be of any further assistance.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow soon.

Kind regards,
Anna Ratnikova
Front Office Manager
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was the best hotel we've ever been with my wife. The service was great, breakfast options perfect, wellness area great and the location perfect! watching on Kremlin and Red Square from room windows was very cool. so, this is for sure 5 star hotel with everything you need!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MartinPestik,
Warm greetings from the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow.

First and foremost we want to thank you for sharing your feedback and comments about your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service delivery was up to your expectations.

Our common goal is to provide unique, attentive and personalized service. With great pleasure we will share your positive comments with our Team.

Once again we thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us and we hope to have the privilege to welcome you back soon to the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow.

Essex, UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here: it was only 2 nights, but the sleep quality was brilliant.
The Red Square is a 5min walk from the hotel, but an hour's taxi ride from Dom Airport.

The room was HUGE! Clean and comfortable - I especially loved the changing area :)
I appreciated the complimentary shoe cleaning service - nice touch (as was the free Wi-Fi).

There are some nice restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, which is always a bonus.

I was running a corporate event at this hotel - Maria and her team were fabulous! My guests/delegates had a great time and enjoyed the wine and canapés.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear DXB2GB,

Thank you very much for taking the time sharing valuable feedback with us.

We are pleased to learn that the corporate event you hosted was fruitful and enjoyable.

With great pleasure we will share your highly appreciated compliments with our team, especially with Maria from our Sales team.