“Second time around - still average”
Review of Art Hotel

Art Hotel
Ranked #90 of 316 Hotels in Moscow
Halden, Norway
“Second time around - still average”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

As this is the second time visiting this hotel I will just add to my new experience from my last visit and the changes that has been done. (Look for my review "Average" earlier)

This time I got a room away from the garden, which is still playing music until quite late.
All rooms now have air conditioned rooms, so the window was kept closed to keep the noise away from the street. I still found the air condition a bit hard to operate as it had several functions. My room ended up to cold in the morning. I did not find a manual for it either.
The mini-bar was operating very silent this time.

The internet has now changed so that it is an open internet connection for all visitors to use. At times I had problems getting a good signal on any of my three devices (laptop, tablet and smart phone).

We had one meal in the backyard restaurant. This time I had grilled veal which was tender and moist, so the experience was better this time than the previous visit.

Breakfast is now a bit simpler than before. You are now not able to order omelet or fried eggs from the chef. A broader variety could be better.

All in all the visit was ok, but to get a higher rating from me I expect to get better instructions on the air condition, better internet connection and better variety on breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the internet router to get a better signal.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Be ready to use taxi every time - hotel is quite far from public transport (metro, bus).
The new SCKA footbol stadium is under construction next to hotel - it can be noisy even at night. So, avoid rooms on the lobby side of hotel - those windows overlook the construction site. Actually, hotel staffs several times (over a 5 days stay there) refuse my requests to move to an opposite site room (they call it Beergarden side). On my order for bottle of hot water (I had made my own tea) - they took me ones with coffee smell:)
Rooms is clean and you will get 2 hours of sauna for free. Reed carefully all conditions in room - the owner charges for any trifle!
Food was really various and testy!

1 Thank separatist
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I stayed at the hotel for five nites. Art Hotel is a clean and basic hotel. Spoke to the lobby staff during my stay there and understand that majority of the guests are Germans.

The hotel is clean and tidy but rooms are small. Location sucks and there is nothing much around.

Bring your own toiletries as they are not provided for. The TV is the smallest I have ever seen with just two English channels. I was quite disappointed that the service staff did not clear my glass of juice that I left on the bedside table to be cleared. Our trash bin in the bedroom and toilet was also not cleared for a few days.

The currency exchange machine at the lobby only worked after many attempts. It says max
US$450 at one time but it didn't quite work even with US$100 at a time. So imagine I had 2 other colleagues with me and each time, we had to waste a lot of time at the machine. Oh .. One more thing which I need to comment abt the room is that they only provide two complimentary bottles of mineral water in the room when the guests check in. They do not replenish it.

There are two restaurants in the hotel n they serve excellent food. They have the biergraden which is open till sep and the indoor restaurant. Breakfast was acceptable with the same variety of food every day.

Hotel staff were friendly, particularly this young African guy called HOPE. He could speak English and was the one who helped us a lot during our stay.

Ankara, Turkey
Reviewed 9 September 2011

First of all, I had to spend two hours from Domododevo Airport to hotel with a taxi. I asked for a taxi service from the airport and they told me it will cost 1500 rub + price of parking. At the end I had to pay 2600 rub. (Due to VAT which was not mentioned at the beginning)

The walk to nearest metro station Octobrskaya Pole is at least 25 minutes.

The size of the room is typical of Moscow hotels, even worse is the size of the bed. I had my feet out of the bed. But, at least the bed was comfortable. The room was quiet and peacefull.

Not many options with the satellite tv. Mainly Russian speaking channels. If you want to spend a few hours by watching tv.

They did not have soap, shampoo or conditioner in the bathroom. Instead, they had a magical liquid contains all..

The breakfast was fine, especially scrambled eggs cooked infront of you by the cook was delicious. That is what I haven't seen before in Moscow.

Halden, Norway
Reviewed 30 June 2011

A hotel having it's own garden restaurant in Moscow is rare. But as it is not in mid-central Moscow it is a trade-off. If you are not familiar with the public-transportation system of Moscow you will need to have your own car, or get a taxi. Do not try to get mid-central by car, as it is rush-hour all day and probably also the night. Better to get familiar with the public-transportation system. Bus-stop is just outside the door, or you could get to the nearest metro (Sokol) which is 15-20 minutes walk away. For our work we were picked up each day, and not going to mid-central, so it can be good for business people not having this in mid-central.

The standard rooms are average and without air-condition, so you really need to have the window open if it is hot outside. My room was facing the garden, and the garden restaurant stops playing live music at twelve in the night when open in the summertime.
Sleeping with the window open there is some noise from the cars in the night.
The mini-bar in the room was also a bit noisy for my taste.
Beds are good, size of room and bathroom is average and clean.
You also have the choice between free slow-speed and or 400 Rubles a day fast-speed. If you need Remote desktop, VPN or Skype go for the fast-speed.

The restaurant in the garden is not value for money. I ordered lamb which clearly had been laying a bit to long. Some of the pieces where not good at all, overcooked or had to much fat on them, for a price that was above European restaurant. The German beer (Paulaner) was good.

Breakfast was served in the indoor restaurant. Good service is that they sometimes have porridge served. And if the chef is there, you can get served fresh-made omelette. Another positive point was that the reception organized take-away breakfast when we where leaving before the breakfast-buffet was opened in the morning.

The best thing about this hotel, is that it has good beds and that paid internet high speed. The worst experience was the food in the garden restaurant, even if the atmosphere of being in a garden was informal and good.

Room Tip: Rooms towards garden in summer can be noisy
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JBratteli
New York City
Reviewed 7 May 2011

From recent reviews of the Art (all translations into English) was not quite sure what to expect. What I got was a lovely hotel in a quiet, safe tree-lined Moscow neighborhood. I booked on Expedia and got an excellent rate that included breakfast.

Positives: Ultra-clean room (smallish for two but fine for one) which was truly non-smoking; no smoking in hotel public areas; friendly, accomodating staff who spoke English well; great buffet breakfast (including made-to-order omlettes); walking distance to Megasport Arena (throuh a lovely area, I might add); several bus routes right outside hotel; 24 hour bar/restaurant.

Negatives: If main reason for visit is to explore Moscow, hotel is a bit of a trek to the nearest Metro station; I was charged 250 Rubles for extra (threadbare) towels, without advance warning--though I was charged for only one day out of three; and finally, the absolutely awful wi-fi, for which the hotel charged an extra 400 Rubles/day.

When I complained about the wi-fi upon check-out, the clerk smiled knowingly and it was quite clear they hear about it all the time. She did mention the hotel is working on it but made no effort to reduce the charge.

All in all, a great stay with the positives far outweighing the negatives. I highly recommend the Art Hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank nycbee
Italy
Reviewed 9 June 2006

The Art Hotel Moscow is a small hotel that mostly caters to German businessmen. Is located near Leningradskij Prospekt, 10 minutes away from Sokol subway station, that makes it convenient to get everywhere in Moscow. The area is quiet, and never had any trouble even coming back from the subway at night.

The hotel is not too fancy, but have everything you need to be comfortable in Moscow. Rooms are fairly wide, very clean, and are not as hot as happens in most hotels in this city: heating can be adjusted, and it works!

The restaurant is a bit dark (they may be looking for an... intimate atmosphere!) but food is generally good and you have a good choice of international/russian food. Buffet breakfast is OK, wide choice and the dishes are continuously filled up, so you won't run out of your kefir. In a nutshell, a good hotel with a very good price/quality ratio, especially in a city where everything is too expensive. Will stay definitely there again.

• Stayed December 2005, travelled on business