I don't know how many stars this property is actually listed as, but the rate I paid was over 300USD/night equivalent to stay in an area surrounded by construction, in a room with the lingering smell of smoke despite booking a non-smoking room.
1) Tried to check in early as my flight arrived early, front desk told me my room was not ready. They allowed me to keep my luggage in storage.
2) Tried to check in at 4:30pm, the room was ready. Received key and headed up to the room with my bags.
3) Key unlocked a room - AND THERE WAS SOMEBODY ALREADY INSIDE....who had just come out of the shower, so obviously they must have gotten a shock of their life.
4) Went downstairs to change rooms, front desk staff told me there were two guests with the same names so this is why this error occurred. It turns out, their system allocates based on Surnames ONLY. So if you're last name is "Smith", you might be in just as screwed a situation as this. Got new key.
5) Went to new room, finished unpacking when a stranger unlocked my room with their key!!!?
It turned out they ALSO had the same last name.
6) Then I received a few calls from the other guests to ask a few questions, in order to sort out this admin issue regarding same surnames that really should have been sorted out at the front desk.
7) Looking around the room, I realised that it didn't match the description of the actual room I had booked. Where was the nespresso machine? So I called to the front desk and they asked me to bring my printed booking confirmation downstairs to them for them to check because it wasn't specified in their system. So I went downstairs and got the key for the actual room I booked which was the executive room.
8) Packed and hauled my luggage over to the first executive room, which turned out to have a problem. It wreaked of smoke masked by all types of air freshener scents. So I called the front desk again. Who then sent me to another executive room. This time, the lady from the front desk asked me to wait there for 10 minutes while she came up to the room with the new key. Which didn't work. Finally, she got the maid's master key and let me in first and asked me to pick up the key from the front desk later.
9) The new room smelled of smoke lingering in the curtains as well, but not as bad as the one prior, and the lady from the front desk informed me that it was their last room anyhow, so it would have to do.
After a long haul flight, the last thing you want to do is be so troubled before settling into a room. I didn't receive anything in return for such a troublesome experience, which just really highlighted all the worst examples of insufficient training. On top of this some other issues.
10) I was there just last week, and there was construction work going on outside all day, even AT NIGHT TIME, THROUGHOUT the night. Yes, when you want to sleep.
11) Arrived in room, and the coffee capsules hadn't been replaced. I called down to ask for a refill and front desk informed me they would send somebody up, and nobody ever came up.
12) On one afternoon, I arrived back at my room after a day out at approx. 16:30 and the maid was in the middle of cleaning my room. I left, came back at approx. 18:30 and the cleaning cart was gone from the front of my room, the door was closed, but when I walked in the cleaning maid was in the bedroom talking on the phone. I'm not 100% sure she wasn't just calling her manager to say she had finished cleaning, or of what she was doing, but as soon as I came in, she got up, and quickly walked out.
Apart from this, just another few minor issues but I'm sure these will be rectified soon.
Despite the terrible first impression, there are some good things about this hotel too.
1) Wifi is free, high speed and available throughout the hotel.
2) Metro is not too far away (in the mall which is closeby)
3) Front desk speak English and are friendly but they need proper training in how other international hotel chains handle the types of situations I've mentioned above.
This could be an excellent hotel if it fixes these issues. For security reasons alone, the hotel makes a bad impression as this has never, ever happened in any of the hotels I have stayed at. For the rate I paid, it didn't live up to my expectations.
Helpful tip: the minibar is complimentary (I didn't realise this until the final night of my stay).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Accorhotels.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Novotel Moscow City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.