“Seventiestastic hotel”

Golden Apple Boutique Hotel
Ranked #64 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We found a great deal at the Golden Apple Boutique Hotel after searching lots of comparison sites. The Hotel is about a ten minute walk from Red Square. Do not be put off by other reviews which claim it is any further, we were slightly put off by location reviews but were delighted when we realised how close it was. The staff were reserved but helpful and it offered bathrobes, slippers, underfloor bathroom heating, a wonderful deep bath and a huge bed. The decor is someones idea of a New York Boutique hotel but we loved it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
GR_GoldenApple, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Dear Guest,

We were really happy to see such a pleasant review. Our hotel is located in the centre of Moscow and as you noticed it’s possible to reach the Red Square in 10-15 minutes by walking. Let me thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are grateful for your kind words and look forward to welcoming you at the Golden Apple Boutique Hotel in the future.

Sincerely yours,
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Clean rooms, central location, comfortable. But the shower is small. Staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Ronald H

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Golden Apple Boutique Hotel. We were pleased to learn that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. We do hope that we may have the pleasure of your company at our hotel in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Quick summary review.

Rooms - clean, cozy, nice, a little small though. Internet is for a fee, but for free internet, try to get a room on the first floor! Free internet in the lobby, but not in the room! I still don't get some hotels sometime ;)
Shower - clean enough, again, a little small. Even the tub is rather small! Sufficient hot water and pressure though so no problems there. Water did came out of our shower stall onto the bathroom floor though.. not a huge problem.
Food - we had free breakfast with our room. it was not bad at all! Pancakes and syrup are really good, they also have the usual cereal and cold cuts.
Location - not too bad, near a subway station - maybe 10-15 mins walk (Tverskaya, Pushkinskaya, Chekhovskaya). Nothing much nearby though, there's a convenience store nearby about 10-15 mins walk too.
Other Amenities - there's a sauna/jacuzzi around.

Summary - its a rather small hotel on the corner of a street but it's not bad! It's not a well known branded hotel that is big

Room Tip: If you want free internet, get a room on the first floor near the window facing the entrance! We got...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review. We are very glad to see those kind words from you! It was great to know that you liked your staying with us. In fact many of our guests find their room really comfortable, cozy and nice, even staying in lowest room categories. And it’s a big pleasure for us that you noticed the excellent breakfast offered in the Apple Restaurant. As you mentioned our location is perfect for business and travelling because metro is really close and it’s easy to reach the Red Square by metro or walking. The way doesn’t take a lot of time (about 20 minutes), besides you will take pleasure of picturesque walk. Also we have a lot of nice restaurants with a Russian traditional and European cuisine nearby which we always can recommend to our guests.

Thank you again for taking a time to write us this review. Let me assure you that we are always happy to see you in our hotel!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I don't understand why this hotel rated as a 5-star for a start. We arrived the hotel with 4 big pieces of luggage sitting in the van and found no doorman there. We managed to carry them to the lobby and later found out no one would assist you to bring anything up to your room. I wouldn't expect such service with a 3-star hotel but not when you claim to be a 4/5-star hotel. Staffs working at the concierge didn't appear to be very welcoming yet it didn't bother me too much. I was asked at check-in whether I would use the mini-bar during my stay and I said 'no' casually. They later sent someone to my room to LOCK my fridge and took away the crisp and chocolate on the table. I was bewildered -- what if I changed my mind later and wanted to have a can of coke? The hotel might have unpleasant experiences with their previous customers over the mini-bar purchase, but you can't just lock the fridge and treat every customer as if they will steal things.

The room is small and the wall is thin. I could hear my neighbour. Perhaps I am too picky but the bed linen was a bit rough and the bed wasn't comfortable. I found a hair in the bed. The pictures showing on their website don't really depict the reality. I saw the picture of the toilet from tripadvisor before I made my booking so it didn't surprise me. Yet the design of the shower area would have your washroom flooded with water no matter how 'cautious' you take your shower, and I absolutely hated it.

I stayed here for only a night and booked at a good discounted rate (about USD160) whereas all other 5-stars charging around USD275 or up. For the price I paid I didn't have much to complain but would not recommend anyone to stay here for more than one night if money is not an issue.

1  Thank ScourerLoBo

Dear Guest,

We were really sorry to learn that you had left our hotel with such unpleasant impression.
Firstly, may I apologize for the inconvenience you had upon your arrival. Normally our bellman is always there and ready to help our guests with their luggage. In case of his absence (e.g. he may be dealing with other guests) we always ask our guests if they need any help with their luggage and do help them. I’m really sorry to know that you did not receive the high level of service we are always proud of. Also in our hotel we do not have a separate concierge desk, instead all staff members are trained to ensure they have skills and knowledge necessary to satisfy every guest’s request. I already passed this information to our Front Office Manager for his information.

Let me also explain you the situation with mini-bar service. At check-in, just as in any other hotel, we always ask our guests if they would like to use any extra services (like a mini-bar, room service, pay TV, etc.) and if they would like to give us a credit card or cash deposit as a guarantee for that. In case guests do not need it and tell us they will not use any extras we close everything to guarantee that no extra charges are posted to guest’s bill and avoid any misconceptions, thus saving guests time at check-out. If during their stay guests change their minds and provide a guaranty we can open it any time. This rule exists not only in our hotel, moreover some hotels in Europe, US and also in Russia require obligatory credit card or cash deposit at check in or even at the time of booking, which we do not do. If you won’t use anything while staying with us, the deposit is fully returned or card block released.
We do understand that design of the boutique hotel is a very subjective issue and a matter of taste to a great extent. Many of our guests liked it and found our style charming and rooms comfortable and cozy.
We would like to thank you, once again, for taking the time to bring those matters to our attention. We will necessarily take into consideration all your notes because we do care about improving of our service.

Faithfully yours,

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed at the Golden Apple with a friend during the New Year period. I found them to be very helpful prior to the stay, helping with the paperwork for the visa application, and there was no problem when I wanted to change the room type. The great customer service continued during our stay, and the staff was happy to help with questions, taxis, postcards etc.

The room was a good size, we were comfortable with two of us in the room, and the cleaning service in the room was brilliant. The beds are hard, but if you like a hard bed then that´s good for you! I didn´t have any problems with noise in the hotel, and was able to sleep during the day (I was sick) because of the great curtains. The only downside was that the airconditioning was broken in our room, but they brought someone up at 5.30am to open the window for us (it was a little too warm!).

I´m not sure of the room price in relation to other hotels in the area, but I was happy to pay what I did for the quality of the room and service. The negative (average) rating for value is based on how expensive the breakfast is, and the internet if you want to use it in your room. But there is a good wireless in the lobby that is free, if you want to be able to check emails etc.

The location of the hotel was great for sightseeing - close to the Red Square and Arbat shopping street. There are a lot of good restaurants and cafes nearby as well!

Overall, very happy with my trip to Golden Apple and would stay there again.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

there is the ONLY ONE GOOD thing about this hotel -location ( near to the RED SQUARE and other attractions). However, their customer service is lousy. Breakfast price is 50 -55 dollars per person. For example, a cup of tea!!! is 7 doll. no internet in a room. Worth noticing that all surroundings are expensive: we have tried to find reasonable prices ( food) in that area, but we could not.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank YLAsee
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I am just finishing my last night at the GA and have had a great time here with my wife. The hotel is clean and modern, a 15 minute walk to red square. There are a bunch of great cafes and restaurants within a 5 minute walk (ask the hotel for recommendations). The street the hotel is on has a couple of really cool churches on it - enough for an impressive first night. The staff was very helpful, able to help me book hockey tickets and seats at the Bolshoi as well as numerous restaurant reservations. The cleaning staff cleaned the room twice everyday we were there (or at least showed up twice and left chocolate, much to my wife's delight).

The only downside (and the only reason I didn't give 5 stars) is that the walls were a bit thin. On the second day I went and picked up some earplugs and ended up not needing them. But this can be more chalked up to careless neighbors than a flaw with the hotel.

Totally worth the price for this place in the heart of Moscow!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple