“Ageing boutique hotel in good central location.”

Golden Apple Boutique Hotel
Ranked #64 of 327 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in hotels (mostly 5 star) all over the world. This hotel is by far the least inviting tho' I am sure at one time it was trendy and at the cutting edge of what Moscow could offer the business traveller. Now it's very tired. Reception is cluttered. The bar and restaurant at one time would have been trendy but now seem dated. Service is ok people make an effort but it's so far adrift of what a New York or LA boutique would offer. The rooms are adequate. Reasonable size. Clean but clinical. I would go back but mainly because location is good.

• Stayed: February 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed here for three nights on à business trip. The guy at the reception was really friendly and explained what I needed to know. The room in my view is of god site, with a nice bathroom, a great bed and safe. The only thing I missed was a water cooker to make tea (but the day after I mentioned this I found a pot of hot water in the room!).
Breakfast was really good with croissants, cereal, eggs, yoghurt and diner was good als well.
The waiters sometimes seem too eager for your (next) order but that might have to do with culture/language barriers.

The hotel is located 25 min walk from the Kremlin so that is ideal.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This hotel is in a great location--it's a 5-minute walk from the Tverskaya, Pushkinskaya, and Chekhovskaya metro stations, and the area feels lovely and safe. The rooms are standard 3 1/2 to 4 stars. They're relatively large, and the bathroom floors are heated (this is especially nice!), but otherwise nothing special. In the hotel description's website description, it raves about the modern stylings of the rooms and other interior spaces, but they didn't strike me as especially unique--I don't know if I would describe this is a "boutique" hotel. The staff were some of the only people in Moscow who spoke English, but they weren't friendly. I tried to communicate with them in my limited Russian, and they annoyedly responded to me in English. When I asked questions in English then, most of the staff would respond curtly and often rudely. The WiFi was free, but the speed was almost too low to be useful. In order to upgrade to a higher speed, the cost was nearly $25 USD per day. I paid for the hotel ahead of time through hotels.com and got a great price--for approximately $135 USD per night, this place seemed like a great deal. Otherwise, I'd seek out a hotel with a bit more character and perhaps more amenities.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Audrey_Golden
GR_GoldenApple, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments as in this way, we can address the issues you highlighted.
The Golden Apple Boutique Hotel is designed in minimalistic style. Our rooms’ design features monochrome décor and fittings, contrasted with vibrantly colored soft-furnishings. We accommodate many different guests in our hotel and are proud to have the flexibility to meet the requirements of all our guests. It is therefore extremely disappointing to have let you down on this occasion. Please accept our apologies.
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission. The front desk staff is always happy to hear Russian language from our international travelers and we are glad to keep a conversation. Nevertheless please be assured that we will make a complete investigation into these matters with our management team.
In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guest again sometime in the future and we are sure we can score a higher rating from you then.

Best regards,

George Kurdevanidze
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 13 March 2013

The hotel is fine.
However, the english-speaking staff need to learn how to smile (even just a little) and just be a little more welcoming to the customers.

I arrived in front of the hotel at March 7th, around 20:00, and surprisingly, the front-side of the hotel was dark, it even took a few moments before I've realized that we've arrived at the hotel. (looked closed, maybe they had problems with the lights?).

The English speaking girl behind the counter quickly and swiftly "processed me" and gave me my key, copied my passport and gave me a whole heap of information very quickly.
- Fast Russian-English can be quite challenging to understand. Even though this girl speak English very well, when she spoke quickly, it was almost impossible to understand.

Still, concerning the staff, I must say that they were efficient, quick to respond and help you, or answer any questions. Still, they lacked the service-minded friendly attitude and a smile now and then. It really goes a long long way, because it makes people (the paying customers) feel comfortable and is service 1-on-1.

I got assigned a room with a view into a wall (wow, why was I not surprised?), and I couldn't be bothered to start making a fuzz.
I just made a mental note that this hotel will comfortably place you with the worst view, as long as you don't specify or complaint, so take a note of that too to avoid it.
- Too bad it has to be like that though, one star minus from me because of that.

Also, I was asked if I was going to use the mini-bar (or, I understood the quick question to mean that), I thanked no, usually I don't either.
Less than 2 minutes after entering my room, a girl swirled in and locked the mini-bar with a key.
- Hey, even though I am not planning to drink overpriced stuff, I may have the need to cool down a bottle of water now and then, blargh....Kind of feels like a child or a thief when it's like "Ok, then we lock the minibar, just to make sure you learn your lesson and don't steal from us."

The standard room itself was ok for me. Spacious enough (weekend trip, so I didn't bring much), clean, good standard.
The shower was a little "meh", as someone here pointed out, it's leaking out over the floor when you shower, the reason being that the water hardly drain down, so you get a nice foot-bath while you stand there. (don't pee in the shower! :) )

Limited shelf-room for toiletries on the bathroom, made for a it of a challenge, to void stuff from falling into the sink or (dear I say) into the toilet.
On the plus-side, there were enough soap, shampoo, shower-gel and conditioner to clean up comfortably every day.

Room-service and cleaning was very good.

The mattresses were a bit thin and hard, so, being one of the people sleeping on the side. I ended up tossing and turning a bit during the night, because of acing joints etc. Still, the room was quiet, and the temperature control worked very well in my room.

You cannot open the windows, reason being that the air-con system worked best with the windows closed, still, I like to be able to get the air changed before going to sleep and after I've started my day. Kind of left you with a stale-air feeling, although I am sure the ventilation-system does change out the air quite effectively.

- Internet was usable, but pretty slow and the open networks somewhat unreliable (if you logged on with your voucher, then that network was more stabile, but sloooooooooow).
You need to pay to get better speed, but the freebie-net did the job while I was there, I mostly used the open networks, having the risk of such networks in mind while using it.

Power outlets were scarce, you have to open a lid in the floor under the desk and plug your stuff in there.
In my room, I had to plug out the TV and some other stuff, to get power for camera chargers, pc, telephone charger etc....there were no power outlets around the bed (annoying).

The main reason I stayed on this hotel, was the location and the price, and indeed, that's what I got. I never ate breakfast (even though it was included on my room), so I can't speak for that.

All in all, it's an average hotel in my mind, but the location is great, so I'll still recommend it.

Room Tip: Do NOT go for room the rooms 316, 416, 516, 616 etc +- 2 numbers up and down (I lived in 516 and ass...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank znapper
GR_GoldenApple, Guest Relations Manager at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Team at the Golden Apple Boutique Hotel I would like to thank you for staying with us and for your genuine input about your stay. We value your comments since there is always opportunity for improvement.
We would like to offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Let us put things clear. According to the occupancy the best available room including free upgrade is always provided to our guests. In this particular situation we made an upgrade up to superior room. Unfortunately the occupancy was high that is why the higher categories with better view were occupied.

It is extremely disappointing to hear about the shower malfunction because normally the water drainage in the bathroom is smooth. We apologize that this fault was not brought to the attention of our maintenance team sooner.

Please be assured that we do believe and completely trust our guests. It is a standard procedure for all mini bars to be checked daily. It is evident from your comments that the issue caused inconvenience. You have my assurances that the matter has been addressed with those concerned to ensure our guests are not similarly disturbed in the future.
Indeed there is no socket nearby the bed; however, we are always happy to provide our guests with all required extra items including extension cord - with additional 3 sockets in it - which you can place near the bed.
Normally our service is exceptional and the misunderstanding you experienced at front desk is not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer service. We train and remind all our staff to be helpful and courteous and I regret that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. We do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.

Your kind comments are greatly appreciated because the comfort of our guest is the main priority for the entire staff of the Golden Apple Boutique Hotel.

May I thank you, once again, for taking the time to write. We are grateful for your support and look forward to welcoming you at Golden Apple Boutique Hotel in the future.

Best regards,

George Kurdevanidze
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 10 March 2013

I had to go to Moscow on business and was not exactly happy to go to that freezing city. I took an early morning flight and was lucky to avoid traffic jams on my way to the hotel, all the way it was snowing, the weather was grey and unpleasant. And so was my mood - it was too early for checking in, I hated to think of having to wait for the room. When I stepped from the wind and snow into the hotel lobby, I was welcomed cordially by the hotel staff, all young and very friendly. I was happy to know that they had a room available for me. From the lobby I saw a trendy bar and heard pleasant music. My room was not that big, but nicely decorated and very cosy, I felt very comfortable there. The weather did not encourage to explore Moscow and in the evening I decided to stay at my hotel. I had fantastic dinner in a fantastic restaurant, a very romantic place, perfect for lovers. Very good food and very good service. The restaurant manager, a nicest blond lady, offered me their special warming cocktail. I felt absolutely happy drinking that warming cocktail in the warm atmosphere of the beautiful restaurant with the warm charming personnel. In spite of the cold Moscow weather, my stay in the Moscow Golden Apple was the most pleasant experience.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the street or the sidestreet
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I stayed in this Hotel at the beginning of February. The reservation was made by a Russian company with which I had some meetings organized. I was travelling with a colleague and asked specifically to have a twin bedded room (that was confirmed by the Hotel).
When we arrived there was a snow storm and it took 5 hours to drive from the Airport to the Hotel (34 km!), so we arrived after midnight in the Hotel and during the check-in, just to be sure, I asked if the room was twin bedded, but the receptionist (a little bit confused) replied that the room was a double room. Beeing two men, colleagues I repeat, we asked again for a twin bedded room and the receptionist was forced to ask support to another person that was in the backoffice. This second person told me that the only possibility to have a twin bedded room was to stay in a standard room instead of the superior reserved. Being very late we accepted with the intention to clarify the following day the question (in special way the difference in price, because,the ENTIRE amount of the room was charged to my credit card 1 week prior to my arrival even if the rate was a standard rate and not an advance booking or not refundable).
Tired and disappointed we entered in a room that it is not difficult to describe as a "graveyard niche!!!". It was impossible to open the luggage (we were forced to put our luggage on the floor and open it in turn and this happened every day o our stay).
The following day I explained the situation to the company that have made the reservation and they phoned to the Hotel asking an explanation. The person who answered was the General Manager who replied that the room that was assigned was not a standard but (by miracle in just one night) a superior corresponding to the room reserved!
Because I do not like being teased, during the following days I asked to 3 different receptionists what kind of room I was staying in, and the reply was always the same,STANDARD room.
Well, I stayed in this "den of smart" for 4 nights and the situation have not changed.
I have also sent 3 times the request of the email of the General Manager to write him directly and no one have had the courtesy to reply (of course they will say that they have not received my emails).
If you intend to stay in this Hotel be sure very much in advance to not reserve a STANDARD room and pray to not have to speak with the "phantom" manager!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Zanclon69
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I liked this hotel - centrally located, helpful staff, nice interior, perfect breakfast(!!!), comfy rooms. In my room that was very cold but they brought a heater right away. First they gave me the room with the windows which were very far from the floor so i couldn't even see the street. But at my first request they changed it. The rooms are lovely, sound proof which is very important for me. I highly recomend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business