“Stay away from this hotel”
Review of Yunost Hotel

Yunost Hotel
Ranked #282 of 331 Hotels in Moscow
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My UNFORGETTABLE memory in Russia started from this hotel, not Kremlin or Red Square.

Location - It is next to a Metro in a residential area
Hotel Decoration - Soviet Union style
Sightseeing - Novodevichi Convent is near the hotel
Shopping - There is a supermarket next to the hotel

Disadvantages
1) No air conditioners - I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and the room was very very hot although the hotel provided us a fan. The air circulation was poor so that you feel you were trapped in a room. You will find yourself more comfortable and cooler on the street.
2) Poor management at the front desk
When we checked in, we pay the hotel fee. On the 2nd night, they said they calculated the room charge wrongly so that I paid the balance by credit card. They didn't give the receipt back and I forgot to do so as it was midnight and a lot of guests were waiting for check in.
On the 3rd day, we checked out at 6.45am as we planned to take the train to Vladimir at 8.15am. (the next train will be at noon) When we checked out, the front desk said 1) we have booked 2 rooms and 2) we didn’t pay the balance.

Incident 1) At that moment, we discovered the registration sheet the hotel gave us on the 1st day showing the room was not the one we stayed. The room number was a WRONG one. So, they said we stayed two rooms.

Incident 2) They stop us from leaving as they asked for the extra balance payment but the front desk didn't give me the receipt back before so that I could not provide. We argued with the front desk lady. The lady on the front desk phoned to another reception A, I talked to reception A, she insisted we never pay the balance. 25 mins later, the reception called reception B who handled the payment at night finally agreed that the payment had been settled.

After the 30 mins argument and clarification, we were already 30 mins LATE!

In hot summer, we took two big suitacases to go upstairs and downstairs in the Metro!
My husband and I worried to miss the train. We ran and sweated in the metro, finally, we got on the train which was 1 mins to depart! (Next train will be 4 hours later, so, we must catch the train!)

We stayed in Russia for 17 days and stayed for 4 hotels. Glad that Yunost gave us an unforgettable memory during the trip.
Please think twice before you book this hotel.

I sincerely recommend the hotel provides special training for the staff at the reception.

Room Tip: Book an air conditioning room if any during hot summer
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at the Yunost hotel in Moscow as we were attending the Rugby 7's world cup Tournament held at the end of June. We were a group of 10. The hotel is definitely still in the cold war age !! There is no air conditioning - and it was BOILING HOT. We were not allowed to enjoy our own supplied cold drink in the small garden of the hotel - as they insisted we had to buy a warm drink from their cafe. They offer breakfast at a price of Rr600 from their cafe - but it looked absolutely awful. There was a lovely boutique hotel up the road called "Blues" which offered a very nice buffet breakfast for Rr350 !! Check in and paying for the rooms was done on an archaic system - and took HOURS to sort out. I think the biggest problem at this hotel is that they have never heard of service and they don't speak any English...... The only good things about this hotel were their swimming pool, access to the stadium and the metro. Plus the little pub next door was great.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank suevonb
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel due to its close proximity to the stadium. We were quite a large group attending the Rugby World Cup 7s. It was very convenient walking to the stadium and back but other than that I have nothing positive to add. The service was shocking! Barely anyone spoke English and paying for the rooms took over 1 hour! The rooms were very old school and uncomfortable. The bathrooms have permanent heated towel rails that heat up the entire room. We didn't receive any air conditioned rooms and were boiling! The entire stay was uncomfortable. I wouldn't recommend it especially in Moscow's 28 degree summer.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Vaness21
Reviewed 3 July 2013

A group of us came to Moscow to attend the Rugby World Cup 7s to be held at the Luzhniki Stadium. It is less than 10 minutes walk from the stadium and very convenient especially as there were children in our group. It had an indoor pool which was very modern and different from the rest of the hotel which seemed like something out of the USSR period.

Other than that, there is not much else going for the hotel. The reception staff were not very helpful and only two that we know of spoke English. It took us at least 1.5 hours to check in. The rooms were small and comfy but of the 5 rooms we booked, only one had air conditioning. The average temperature at the time was 28 degrees Celsius. It was a sauna in the rooms during the day.

Also, there was only internet on the 8th floor and nowhere else.

Overall, I would not recommend this place unless location proximity to the stadium is a priority!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank swisshamo
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My father & I visited the Yunost Hotel in Feb 2013. We were visiting Russia for sporting purposes and the hotel is in close proximity to the Luzhniki Stadium - which made it the ideal hotel for us. An added bonus is the hotel is also a few hundred metres from the local metro station which made Moscow city centre very accessible (only 4 or 5 stations).

The hotel, as the title suggests, is very pleasant yet it is in serious need of a refurbishment.

The rooms were a decent size (2 singled beds, dressing table and TV) and a clean bathroom. However one major gripe of the bedroom is the radiator was built into the wall & despite the sub zero temperatures outside we were uncomfortably warm! We even had to sleep with our windows open at night ( A problem I never envisaged when visiting Russia)!

The hotel had a few amenities such as a food hall, gym and beauty salon although we never got the chance to experience these services during our stay.

The reception staff were very friendly and made the effort to explain our hotel arrangements in English. However, the security staff stationed on the door, made us feel unwelcome. In their defence, this may have been due to the sporting event involved and security was extremely tight within the area (although this is just an assumption).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a cheap stay for a couple of nights. Although if looking for a bit more luxury i would suggest booking in Moscow city centre.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 17 November 2012

I and my colleague stayed one night at hotel Yunost in Moscow. The hotel is an old hotel from the Sovjet time. Rooms are medium size and OK except for the beds which could be changed. There is refrigaerator in the room. Everything very orderly and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. A drawback was that breakfast only started to be served from 08.00, but then it was OK. A very big advanatge was the location with only about 150 m from Sportivnaya Metro Station. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and the quality of the food was a positive surprise and the prices were as well good. My chicken Kiev was very well arranged. A hotel I can recommend for a night or two, with a good location. Internet is available on the 8 floor and free of charge.

Room Tip: The suites and bigger rooms may be better, but I have no experience. Try it!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Staffan N
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I have stayed in Hotel Yunost Moscow in August 2012, while being in a business trip. The hotel was booked for me by the hosting company, because it was near subway and the office itself. The hotel was probably a good one during Soviet era, but not now. The worst part was the quality of services. The reception employees, the staff of room servicing was sometimes rude, and for every question they were answering in such a manner, that I was thinking that I am disturbing them very much, although I was asking usual things, to which in any hotel the employees usually answer with pleasure.
Overall the room was clean, small but comfy. Not very up to date, but in any case I was not spending much time in the hotel.
The food in restaurant was not good, the only good food was ice-cream.
So, I had a feeling, that I am back to USSR, no normal food, no normal servicing
Stay in this hotel if it is for 1-2 nights, and You will not spend in hotel much time, only in that case

Room Tip: Rooms on the 8 floor are better
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business