“Open late on a Tuesday night!”

Tanuki Pyatnitskaya 53
Ranked #677 of 13,709 Restaurants in Moscow
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Zamoskvorechye
“Open late on a Tuesday night!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Jetlagged in the evening on a short business trip, I went in here for food and drink after finding that my first choice, Bar Nikolay, was closing at 11pm.

The free serving of hot herby fruit tea from a long spouted teapot was a nice touch. The sushi was OK and quite filling. One set of four pieces would have been enough, although I had ordered two. Alongside that I had a mojito, which was competently made.

Mojito & sushi is my abiding food memory of Russia in the 21st century, after a spell of working in Siberia, so "it had to be done".

Service was good, nice atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014

Boston
“Actually made me sick to my stomach”
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

I know that it was probably a mistake to order sushi in Moscow so the poor experience was my own fault. I had a warm salmon and cheese roll and it was indelible, just horrible tasting. About an hour or so later, I felt that I might be sick to my stomach.

The avocado and strawberry roll was ok but nothing good or special. The ginger didn't taste fresh and the wasabi wasn't very potent.

I wouldn't eat here again.

• Visited April 2013
Manchester
“Great food and a safe haven in Russias food lottery!”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Having visited Moscow five times now, Tanuki is always on the go-to list for food! The choice is excellent with a wide range of soups, sushi and rolls available and they even have English menus which are a god send for travellers like me. I would recommend that Unagi (eel) or Dragon Roll - fabulous! Also the deserts are devine but a recent health kick spurned that wish (this time!)

• Visited March 2013
Moscow, Russia
“Cutting on everything”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Reason for wide spread of sushi based eateries around Moscow is sheer economy. Small helpings (defrosted imports or off the shelf local foodstuffs) barely done with no particular fancy or variation and boasting affordable prices (on paper)... In this case I had only slight discomfort or indigestion whereas my other 3 companions seemed to have none, having undergone a course and gotten accustomed. Despared of spotting a Mexican, Indian or Chinese analog of spicy dish, I poked at Stuffed Salmon Chops ticked "hot!" in the menu. Well, hot it was not... not by those standards, while the Tabasco and Worchester dressing made things worse, acid. Napoleon dessert was larger and whoppier than commercially available one but, alas, nearly as bland and unfulfilling. Of drinks, Mors fruit brew and House wine tasted and felt okay passable - but then the total bill came a third higher than the drinks' reasonable price would suggest. A couple of one hundred notes granted by my companions over that failed to please our waiter. Me I had mashed potato when getting home to please my stomach. How very typical of Moscow eateries! They do observe non smoker area and Oriental symbolism but who cares, if it's not for the food glorious food?

• Visited January 2013
Miami
“a moscow classic as well”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

tanuki is everywhere the food quality is standard, it offers home delivery as well. you want suchi not so expensive this is the place. when comparing prices it is ok. I go often there in different location the food is the same everywhere

Visited August 2012