“No more chances, Marty :(”
Review of UNCLE Marty's - CLOSED

UNCLE Marty's
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Uncle Marty's is a Restaurant and Bar that caters to those lazy, flip-flop days where you mind is on relaxing and sharing time with friends and family. As you explore our site, you will see that, in addition to our regular menus, we have many special events, specials and parties. We often have live music and are a great place to hold your next Clam Steam or party...Let us do the work and you focus on enjoying your event! Stop by, stay a while and enjoy our hospitality!
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have given this place so many tries since it opened. The service is ALWAYS poor to dismal (unless you know Marty, I guess), there is also almost ALWAYS something wrong with someone's meal. Too bad, since when it gets there (and is correct) the food is pretty decent. They do have a great selection of beer.

1  Thank Illan L

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Six of us [family and friends] had dinner here after a play in Sand Lake on Sunday evening. It was warm out and the temperature inside was similar. The tables, shiny wooden planks with uneven edges [and a definite tilt] were a little too small. Our server came quickly and announced they were out of a number of things [not unreasonable as it was Sunday and they serve "fresh" things, but it included their popular ribs]. 3 people had burgers ordered rare or medium rare, with various toppings. One ordered a steak and 2 of us ordered shrimp scampi. And an order of pulled pork nachos. The service was slow. At last the nachos came - and they were good [but messy to eat]. And then salads to go with the shrimp scampi [ small very fresh salads]. And eventually, the rest of the food. All the burger-people had asked for French fries instead of the standard "chips" [home fried potato chips] - but all received the home fries [which turned out to be good]. Although the rare burger was only a little pink and the medium-rares were well done, all agreed that the flavor was very good and the cheeses and other toppings were delicious. The steak itself was deemed all right, but was served on a bed of charred lettuce [!]. And then the shrimp scampi - which I had. First, the server had told us that they had run out of linguini and spaghetti and only had penne, which we agreed to. The shrimp were nice and big and cooked correctly. There were only a few of them [maybe 5 or 6 large] in a very large bowl of penne with a milky looking, odd tasting thin sauce. I suppose it was garlicky - but not from any fresh garlic. Except for the shrimp themselves, rather inedible. By the end we were hot and tired, and I was still hungry - and we had to wait a long time before we caught the eye of any server to get the check. The check was corrected [extra fries taken off] - and I must say that the serving people were all very nice to us. Thus, even though some people liked their food well enough, in general, the experience was not too enjoyable.

1  Thank lynx46
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Marty is loosing money by being too friendly with his staff. Seventh time eating at Uncle Marty's. Third time we received either free drinks, 1/2 price total order or complementary deserts due to extremely late food, wrong food order or missing/partial order served.
Yesterday 06/07/14 My wife and I stopped at Marty's one hour and twenty minutes before a play at our local play house 200 yards away from Marty's. After ordering our food, we waited 45 minutes before we started inquiring about our order. 5 minutes later (50 minutes waiting) we asked to cancel our order and asked to speak to owner (who was previously seated in last booth in bar closest to door). Marty has vacated and we were assured we would receive our food (BBQ sampler and Hot Turkey sandwich) soon.
We did receive our food hurriedly about this time, and it was tasty and plentiful, but we had to wolf it down to meet curtain call. As I complained that extremely late food should not be paid full price for, the waitress (kindly, apologetic, doing her best) took our drinks off the bill as well as an $8.00 off coupon. As she took our payment, she said "you're lucky, a table outside has waited and hour and a half for their food".
By being too friendly with his staff and not hiring a professional restaurant manager or strictly running an Owner-Employee business, his employees are running amuck and Marty is loosing money. The kitchen staff have ALOT to be desired. A small size kitchen, with a small kitchen staff (two I think) timing, prep and execution are in DIRE NEED of improvement. A kitchen staff of 2 or 3 cannot possibly run food to a growing popular spot. As an unfortunate circumstance of poor management, the waitresses are also loosing money in tips due to discounted meals, free drinks and complementary deserts all due to the kitchen staff.
Synapsis:
Food (if you receive it) 6/7. Drinks 7/8. Service 7/8. Ambiance 9/10. Food prep/delivery 1/2.
1) Restaurant needs professional management
2) Kitchen/kitchen staff needs a serious boot in the seat.

3  Thank shamalamadingdong
Reviewed 16 May 2014

But a restaurant is about the food, no? This restaurant is a good friend's "local," and we head for it when I am in town. First time had dinner. That was ages ago and I don't remember what we had except that it was delicious. Last time it was brunch and I had the Southwest wrap. My three companions had: the plain breakfast wrap; Belgian Waffles; and the hearty breakfast (eggs, sausage, pancakes). We went through a gallon of coffee, pitchers of ice water and tested the servers' patience and good will (which never for an instant faltered). This is a plain place and serves plain and very well-prepared food. The prices are excellent and the atmosphere can't be beat. I could only wish that I had a local half as good and friendly where I live. Place was packed, but then it was Mother's Day.

1  Thank lnwyd
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Four of us went to Uncle Marty's Sunday and we all had the BBQ sampler , we all went home with left overs. We started with soup or salad and we all had the soup, which was great, Chicken Barley soup was the special, we all enjoyed it. They use to have over 300 beers, but they cut that down, and now are change from winter brews to spring/summer brews. The beer's, hard cider, & wine were all super. Staff was very helpful & courteous. They have change the BBQ sauce, with a little more kick to it, I liked the old sauce, but I like more plain sauces. The ribs were great, the pulled pork was great, Your choice of Mashed, Baked, regular Fries, or sweet potatoes fries, vegetable & BBQ chicken. I finished the ribs, part of the pulled pork, part of the mashed potatoes and the spinach. I was full & had to take the rest home. Prices were good