“November 2011”

Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden
Ranked #45 of 359 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My adventure with this Hotel started in last year in November.
Business trip were for 2 weeks and 2 weekend i had to spend in this Hotel. First weekend everything were great. Awesome room with really huge and nice bed, great bathroom with bath, not with the shower. and view to the yard (nothing special just other people windows) Good and nice service.
Next weekend i came again and had amount of troubles. My company made me a reservation by booking.com without a payment letter of guarantee. And as i had only euro cash with me and no company credit card. I tried to solve the problem and called to my office stuff but it was friday evening and was hard to reach them. After all they told me that will send me new booking with the letter of guarantee on next day. Okay. it's about 23:00. I am after 10 hours of train. Tired. In the middle of St. Petersburg. With euro cash money that Hotel does not accept. But they offered me to go to find money exchange and showed me even map:) I went. Walking there for 20 minutes finally - money exchange we closed. To say i was angry and tired...:) I went back to Hotel and told to reception that we have 2 possibilities. 1. they accept my euro cash. 2 they call me taxi and i will go to another Hotel. Room rate for this Hotel were 100 eur/night.
Thanks to kind reception stuff they give me room and took my documents. I asked smoking room by this time. Then i came to the room i saw great view in window! But the smell in the room were like last guests had there at least 2 packs of cigarettes and last 2 hours.
I opened the window.
In the morning i noticed that...i have huge hall in the ceiling of the corridor. Because of the open window wind flow moved it?:D Goosh scary movie:)
On this evening i came back to hotel and went by elevator to 6th floor but couldn do it because my card didn't work and twice i went to parking:D With huge bags i went to reception and the made me new one. I went to 6th floor went to my room and it was kind far from elevator especially if you are with bags. And my card couldn't open my room:D I went back to reception...and they made me new card.
Next morning, we my last morning in this Hotel. Check out is at 12 o'clock. After the shower i were sitting on the bed in towel. And my door were opened. Oh. Cleaning lady came to my room!:D Sow me in towel make her excuses and went out:D

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Anna C, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Elina B,

Thank you very much for your feedback!
We appreciate that you have chosen our hotel for you business trips to St. Petersburg. We are glad that you liked our rooms and our service.
I am sorry for the inconveniences you faces with a our payment system. Due to our hotel policy all reservations made from booking.com are not prepaid, credit card number used only to guarantee reservation in case of no show. Payment should be done directly in the hotel by cash or credit card. If reservation to be paid by third party we ask to fulfil card holder third party payment agreement thereby all security policies are followed. Due to the Russian legislation we are not allowed to accept any foreign currency exept Russian rubles. That is why we kindly ask our customers to exchange money in the banks or currancy exanche offices which are located near our hotel, some of them work 24/7. We also have currency exchange machine in our hotel, but due to security reasons it asks for credit card as ID.
We do not recommend our guests to open the windows because of the mosquitos and as sometimes it may cause draughts. I am sorry that it happened to your room. We do have air conditioning system which will refresh the room perfectly well.
Please accept our apologies for the demagnetized key and housekeeping lady entering your room before check-out time, we will do our best to prevent it in future.
I hope this situations will not spoil your impression about our hotel and you will come back again!

Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden

Reviewed 30 July 2012

If you are arriving from the airport this hotel is located well on the way to the centre. Apart from that you need to be prepared to either use the metro (just a 10 minute walk away) or other ways of transportation to get you to the sights and business locations.

The building is fairly new and located by the Olympia park and a quiet side street.
The rooms are clean, comfortable and modern but without any wow effect.
Beds are comfortable, tv has good reception and A/C works perfectly well.

The Fransmanni restaurant serves a sumptuous breakfast but it gets very busy during the tourist season. The bar is certainly ok for a hotel bar but the outdoor veranda lacks imagination.

Service is attentive and polite. Check-in and out is very smooth for a Russian hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Anna C, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Dear Matkallataas,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback!
I am happy to hear that you find our hotel nearly flawless! I am glad that you like our hotel services and especially that you found our breakfast sumptuous. We will do our best to keep our service on the same level and try to bring wow effect to the hotel atmosphere.

We are looking forward to your next visit in our city!

Front Office Manager/ Deputy General Manager
Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Very lovely rooms, comfy beds, very clean. Close to metro station. Only issue is safety at the hotel. pick pockets are rampant in the hotel and lobby an issue that's needs addressing. Even while checking in people where pick pocketed in the line waiting and while waiting for a lift also. Very bad issue that needs addressing. restaurant and rooms very good staff friendly.

• Stayed: July 2012
Dmitry S, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2012

Dear Aussieworldtripper,

Further to our discussion of this very unpleasant case in person I would like to apologies once again on behalf of the hotel team and our security company. Unfortunately, pick pocketing has global nature these days and all large cities suffer from it and St. Petersburg is not an exception.

May I assume that missing wallet at late evening hour in hotel lobby within many months should not necessarily mean “massive pick pocketing” and real threat to the hotel guests. However, the case is approached very seriously and further actions have been undertaken by the hotel management in cooperation with security company and police force.
I would like to assure you that safely and security of our guests is by far the key priority for Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden and hope to welcome you next time in Northern Venice.
Best regards,

Dmitry Shubin

Reviewed 14 July 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of a package deal. The room was satisfactory. The food in the restaurant was good and we ate there a few times. Great sauna facilities in the basement. Only a short walk to the metro, which is very cheap and easy to use (signs in Cyrillic and English).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank divebunny1
Anna C, Front Office Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Olympia Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear Divebunny1,

Thank you very much for your review!
I am glad to hear that you found our hotel convenient! I am happy that you enjoyed our sauna facilities, it is always relaxing after a long day.

We are looking forward to your next visit in our city!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

As a frequent business traveller I know quite a few hotels in St. Petersburg. Usually I tend to stay in more central locations, but the crowded summer tourist season forces to make adjustments. Sokos hotels in St.Pete offer reasonable value-for-money balance, albeit not the best locations. Olympia Garden is OK if you are comfortable with the metro or have a skilled driver who can navigate past roadworks and other frequent causes of spectacular traffic jams.

This time I noticed the Tripadvisor "Trendiest Hotel 2012" -plaque and after suffering messy breakfasts among equally messy tourist groups from Southern Europe, it crossed my mind that the hotel could offer separate breakfast catering for individual guests and tourist groups. I bet business travelers would find the offer very attractive.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Kaaremi,

Thank you for your review!
I am glad to hear that you found our hotel good value-for-money, that is what we want to be for our guests. I will pass your feedback about the breakfast to our Food & Beverage Director and I am sure you will like it next time!

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I have very unhappy experience of staying in this hotel. During the breakfast in its restaurant I got the heavy burn by pouring the boiling hot water from the teapot (it has very improper form). Nobody even try to help me when I suffer from pain. Only when I managed to leave the hotel and get to nearest store, the shop-assistant called for ambulance and they brought me to the hospital.
So, this hotel can be really dangerous for your health.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Dear Anastasia

We would like to express our apology for this horrible incident which took place in our restaurant. The safety and security of our guests is the key priority in our hotel and, therefore, the whole case was carefully studied by our management team including deep investigation of video records. We are truly sorry that the action taken by our restaurant manager Tatiana Meleshko, namely providing you with ice, remedy for burns and offering you ambulance services was not satisfactory for you to feel being cared and assisted.

Please note that all our F&B equipment including beverage dispensers and tea pots are purchased from reputable global suppliers and correspond to international hospitality safety standards. The “hot water” and “Braised tea” signs are placed next to them to inform our guests about the content.

Once again we would like to apologies for this incidents and quarantine you that we have undertaken all necessary measures to prevent similar cases in future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2012

Sokos Olympia Garden might not locate in the best central position, but is business hotel at the best Finnish standards. Rooms are fresh, clean and the bed is super comfortable. Rooms are also quiet.

Location is not central, but tube station "Tehnologitcheski Institut" is few hundred meters away and everything is in few stops.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack_Forecast
Management response:Responded 15 July 2012

Dear Jack_Forecast,

Thank you very much for your review! We are very glad to hear that we are keeping best Finnish standards!
We are looking forward to your next visit!