“good but there are things to improve”
Review of Palkin

Palkin
Ranked #17 of 10,892 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Price range: US$61 - US$244
Cuisines: European, Russian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Nice location, fantastic building, but need to improve service and food quality (I found it was too ordinary and simple, nothing exceptional)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We went here for dinner on our last night in St Petersburg on the recommendation of the Grand Hotel Europe and they hit the bullseye again. The restaurant is light and airy, elegant and comfortable, and the menu consists of a mix of Russian classics and more international choices. The restaurant is very much fine dining, with a delicious amuse bouche of pumpkin soup. Our starters were an excellent Borsch (which was served in a loaf of bread and which my wife said was delicious) and Schi - a traditional Russian soup which is cooked for sixteen hours and was absolutely superb! We were then given a sorbet as a palate cleanser which arrived with a spectacular show of dry ice, and followed with Beef Stroganoff and roe deer and wild boar dumplings (amazing). With a bottle of Evian and a bottle of Spanish red wine the final bill was 5850 roubles (round £100) which we thought represented excellent value for the quality of food and service. There were a number of more expensive dishes on the menu (and much more expensive wines) so it would be easy to spend a lot more than this if you want!

1  Thank Charles_Hopkinson-W
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Overall, this restaurant was a great experience. Total white glove service and excellent food. I had Cream Soup of Cep Mushrooms, Hare’s Cutlets with Foie Gras and Black Truffles, and Doe Deer and Wild Boar Dumplings. All of our food was delicious and given the service, I feel that the cost was well worth it. Part of the service was quite a show including using LN2 to make ice cream and to cool you down during the palette cleanser.

The only caveat was that it turned into a 5 hour affair, so you cannot be in a rush and must savor your time there. For us, celebrating a birthday, it was well worth it and I'm glad we went there. The walk afterwards during White Nights was also quite fantastic with the night lights on Nevskiy Prospekt

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I was invited to dinner here and I must say the qualtiy of food was excellent, the staff also attentive. The restaurant was rather empty, however, which surprised me, I hope this is not an ode of worse things to come. One unusual observation - my partner and I ordered beers because it was hot outside and this somehow put the restaurant on the spot. The waiter was a little lost, then said he will "organize" it which he did (the beer itself was Russian and good), but on the bill, we found that it was written as a "special" extra, which seemed interesting (do they only drink wine and vodka there?).

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This restaurant has a turn of the century setting that is nearly convincing. It is very popular so RESERVE well in advance. There is something in Russia that we westerners are not very familiar. The doors to the very best venues are small and unimpressive, but when you cross the threshold you are in for a surprise. This is what happened with this restaurant ant most prestigious shops in the Nevsky Prospect. You see the door and you think to yourself "am I in the right address"? Go in this small door and you are in another world. The restaurant is on the second floor. Going up from a large staircase you enter the restaurant that is most impressive. The English speaking waiter (there is only one) is called Roustam and is from the Kafkases. A most convincing character he convinced me to have French oysters and get me one complimentary Russian cooked oyster. They were both fantastic, but you should see the size of the wild north sea Russian oyster. Our evening was very pleasant as there were a Russian group of people that had (and continue to have) some bottles of vodka and they were singing. The food is very well prepared and very tasty. It is served with great pomp. The food comes to table covered with lids, and they pull the lids counting to three. Most impressive. It is not cheap. A full meal, with desert, (although we promised ourselves not to have desert, we gave in to our weakness when we saw the deserts that were going around) will come to $300. Ah, I forgot to say Roustam advised us to drink a special vodka that was twice the price of the usual Ruskii Standard. To be honest we did not understood the difference but we had a good laugh when we got the bill. Be good.

2  Thank YakoDogiou