“if you just look for a place where to sleep..”

Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Relativism is a key attitude and therefore you should always look around where you are and what the alternatives are. So this is a Russian hotel to be compared against the local alternatives and honestly you won't choose SPB for its hotels.

Back to this hotel, I found the rooms to be too small with limited natural light despite being in summer time. Honestly, I survived keeping in mind that it was just a place where to sleep after time spent for working and enjoying the city.

Location is fine, not too far from the main Prospekt, although it takes at least 20 minutes by walking to achieve it. Obviously, keep in mind that this location might be effective for tourists and for businessmen working in the northern areas. Forget it if you have to reach other areas.

As for attendance, the hotel seems to have several agreements with tour operators, therefore the hotel is always packed with tourists (on average 70 years old) who feel so excited about their experience in SPB to turn the breakfast into a crowded, noisy event. Happy for them, but honestly it's not the best way to start a stressful working day. However, breakfast is well above the 4 star standard.

Finally, a big opportunity for improvement is the reception and concierge service. Guys are all kind, but they might lack experience. I really struggled with taxis: always reserved via hotel, they were always illegal taxi, not-a-single-English-word speaker with a dynamic pricing system leading to pay always a different price for the same path. My advice is to get the mobile number of any decent taxi driver and reserve it by yourself (or leverage on new App).

Summary: if you just look for a place where to sleep, this hotel offers a good value for money; if not, look for better offers.

Room Tip: Higher floors have natural light, otherwise get used to electricity
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Johnny_Lorenz
Арина И, Guest Relations Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Johny Lorenz ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay in Solo Sokos Vasilievsky.
I am sorry to read that there were aspects about your stay that did not meet your expectations and I would like to express my sincere apologies.

Thank you for the value of the location, that really suits tourist as the walking area and the Nevsky prospect is in 15 minutes’ walk from the hotel. As any hotel we also have partners among tour operators, and we can not expect what will be the age of the group, but we are glad to welcome everybody! I am very sorry you had some inconveniences during breakfast. Of course when it is crowded it is not a good start for a business day. Any waiter in the restaurant can help you, if you could have said that there was noisy for you we could have found a quiet area just for you in a tea room, for example. We hope you will be back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky and see the changes and improvements; we shall try to offer quiet areas for those who seem to need it. Also I would like to say many thanks to you for highlighting the breakfast quality, I am thankful for you comment ‘Breakfast is above 4 star standard” we worked a lot at it and continue improvements!

The remark about the reception and concierge services is already taken into consideration by the high management of the hotel; the work at service standard level is always had in our company, and will be continued. Thank you for your appreciation the kindness of staff, actually we are all helpful and aspire to make individual service.
The question about taxi we should investigate attentively. The dynamic of prices is caused possibly by the car type, may be concierge thought you expected to get a business class car, and once you were ordered a comfort class. This can be the only reason. But if anybody from the staff of the hotel orders a taxi he/she is responsible for it. We should know that you are safe, and in case you lose something or forget in a taxi we can find it and give back, that is why we give just trustful taxies and drivers with whom we work for 5 years.

In conclusion I would like to thank you again for you have found some time and gave so detailed and useful review. I would like to assure you that each comment was taken into consideration by the hotel management and the improvements will be made. Welcome back to our hotel and we promise to find a spacious and light room for you and make you feel caring service.

Arina.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Outstanding and charming concierge advice on sightseeing, restaurants and public transport and car service booking. Restaurant not haute cuisine but consistently good and reasonably priced. Clean, comfortable en-suite rooms, constant hot water, reliable wifi A 20 min walk to city centre but easy public transport (beware of pickpockets)!

• Stayed: May 2014
Anton V, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Solitaire28,

I'm very glad that you've found some time to share your impressions about our hotel.
That's great that you liked our Restaurant and facilities provided by the hotel. We work a lot to make the prices competitive and the service sincere and individual.
As you've pointed out in your review our concierge and all the staff are ready to help.

I hope your summer was great and I'm looking forward to seeing you in Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky!

Best Regards,

Anton Volodin.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

When our coach drew up outside I went 'hmm?'

Whe we went in the lobby I sighed with delight.

When we got to our room we were very happy. Undoubtedly the best hotel of our 2 1/2 week trip through, the Baltic states, Finland and Russia. Beautifully comfy bed, a bathroom with a bath, and an iron and ironing board on top of all the usual 4* stuff. But best of all, with temperatures hitting the mid nineties Fahrenheit, 34 Celsius, there was no mini bar but a proper fridge with two 0complementary bottles of water which were replaced every day. The room was very spacious.

The staff were very helpful, and presumably from experience, showed those just checking in how to operate the lifts with the room key.

Although the hotel seems away from the main life of St Petersburg I if you turn right, then right again and head for the metro you soon hit a variety of eateries.

My one quibble was with breakfast. I am wheat and dairy intolerant, don't eat grains even as breakfast cereal,and even the smell of fish can make my violently ill. So that left me yet again with bacon and egg, plus some melon and fruit tea. I could have killed for a fried potato; it would have done nothing for my cholesterol overload but I would have got some carbohydrate. Now for all those with wheat and gluten intolerance can I put in a plea for the humble potato - and please no polystyrene rice cakes - try eating one!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Арина И, Guest Relations Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Moira 54,

That’s great that you have found some time to share your experience about our hotel! I am very grateful to you for such a detailed review.

That is undoubtedly a proud for us all that you liked to room’s equipment and found the bed comfortable! We still have mini-bar but, sorry to say, just in superiors, mansards and suites. But if you wish to have mini bar in standard room that is not a problem for us to put it, you could have asked any receptionist about it. So next time you visit our hotel never hesitate to ask us about anything concerned your comfort and room equipment we shall do our best to help you!
We all are happy that you appreciated the staff’s experience and friendly and helpful behavior as we work a lot with each member of the staff to make our service individual, sincere and helpful!

The location of the hotel also seems like not the very city center but still it is close to all the main tourists’ places of interest and in 5 minutes walk from the metro station and as you mentioned before from the pedestrian area where many places to eat are.

It seems you have some inconveniences during breakfast because of wheat and gluten intolerance. We are very sorry for that. We work a lot to make the diversity at breakfast and we shall continue improvements towards making complete breakfasts for those who are gluten and wheat intolerant and of course we shall work with the staff so that we all could offer and find something for you not to feel any inconveniences.

I would also like to thank you again for such a detailed review and to welcome you back to our hotel!

Arina.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Not inexpensive, but a decent choice. The two best features were a very helpful staff and a great breakfast, which includes cooked to order eggs and omelets. Our "superior" room was comfortably large, the bedding decent, and the bathroom large and well appointed. on the negative side, there are many tour groups staying here with elevator traffic jams at busy times. Traffic on the street side can be quite noisy at night. Another plus are the shops and restaurants on the pedestrian-only 6th line just a couple of blocks away.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Anton V, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Tallhorse,

First of all I would like to say many thanks for leaving a decent feedback on our hotel.
I’m glad that you liked our innovation with an egg station. For us really important to know that it works properly, because this option was settled not so long time ago.
We do appreciate your sincere comment about our service. Our staff is always ready to help and take care of the guests.
I regret that you spent some extra time in line to the elevator. Summer time means a lot of the guests not even in our hotel, but in the city. But we do care about every single guest’s need and wish.

If you ever decide to visit St. Petersburg again, we will be glad to see you again in Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky.

Anton.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Decent location on Vasiliesky island but be prepared for a lot of traffic if going by road into the centre. Near a Metro for the more adventurous. Liked the layout of the large bedroom....not all big rooms you come across have the right things in the right places but this one does.
The staff, I thought, were particularly good and seemed genuinely happy to help.
The food was the standard you would expect of a 4 star hotel, the only critisism being that at one morning breakfast there were so few staff that tables were piled with old dishes and new customers having difficulty in finding a place.....perhaps a Monday morning is a popular day off.
The bar and lounge area were very comfortable with great staff and prices that didn't bring tears to your eyes.
Overall a very nice hotel which I would happily recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear JimboEastBoldon,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for finding time to write this review which can, and I believe will be, useful for other travelers.

I am glad to hear you have enjoyed your stay and the hotel in general. I am sorry to hear you did not have the most swift service at the breakfast, we are constantly working of having a big enough team, as we know how important the breakfast is and that some guests are in a hurry. Thank you for your feedback!

I wish you further happy travels and sunny summer.

Welcome back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky,
DM

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Another excellent hotel by Sokos chain in SPb, as comfortable and cosy as otehr hotels :-) However, location in Vasilievsky island was only acceptable for my business trips to sites located there, because travelling to other parts of the city would take some time because of tght traffic. Anyway, I enjoyed the stay and the staff friendliness. Very clean, neat and comfortable, and the room design is to high standards.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is occupied by suites, but this floor also contains a gym and a sauna. Although, I preferr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Anton V, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Oksana,

First of all I would like to say thank you for leaving your feedback about your stay in St Petersburg. I’m glad that you highly appreciated our hotel. We are doing our best to keep our service on a good level. You’re absolutely right when telling about the traffic, sometimes it can be really tough to get out from the island. But if you enjoy walking, you can easily get to Nevskiy Prospect, Hermitage or other sights, it will take you around 30 minutes. And also there is a metro station nearby the hotel, just one stop by metro and you are on Nevskiy Prospect.
And I hope that for you next business trips and your vacation in St. Petersburg you will choose Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievskiy.

I wish you a lovely summer.

Anton Volodin.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Last week stayed at Vasilievsky-very pleasant experience.Impressed by cleanliness,decor and staff/especially Natalia in bar who asked if we were not afraid coming to Russia.I replied my only fear was not getting enough roubles for my euro!Would love to visit again.Splendid.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
DMelnikov, Executive Assistant Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Pfaulkner,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience of Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky with the travelling community of TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay and found our team a helpful one, especially Natalia.

I would be happy to see you back at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky.

Have a lovely summer,