“4.5+”

Ranked #26 of 333 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Agoura Hills, California
“4.5+”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were here on a tour with 13 others, coming from Scandinavia countries.
Staff was very good, hotel breakfast was excellent, close walking distance to good restaurants such as Taverna Grolle or Ketino Georgian Restaurant, both of which are very good with English menus and speaking staff.
Hotel has very nice spacious rooms, bathmat, safe, removable hangers. Shower knobs were hard to grasp when soapy, 1/2 glass shower door. The TV was irritating in the number of levels in order just to finally get to SEE a station!
Breakfast buffet was very good and the staff was good, spoke English well, and a nice one-sheet newspaper, summarizing news in various languages!
Lobby had 1 PC (only), with a printer.
Lobby was spacious.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank dragon789wv
Anton V, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Dragon789wv,

I appreciate your sincere feedback on your stay in Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky.
We are trying to do our best to satisfy each our guest and such warm words make us understand that we do a great job! You’re so attentive to room details, bathroom amenities, fitments and other small but pleasant things, that I’m sure it will be helpful for future guests. I’m very glad that you highly rated our breakfast, staff and the service. As for the TV interface that you were irritated with, I give my true apologies, but unfortunately we are not able to simplify it.
We are looking forward to seeing you in our hotel. We wish a nice end of the summer.

Anton Volodin.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just stayed at this hotel in St. Petersburg. The staff was super friendly, and the hotel rooms were very spacious and clean. Loved the fact that the hotel was one minute walking distance from tram rides to the center of town. Very easy using public transportation. And, the breakfast included was superb!! Would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MLNJ
Арина И, Администратор at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear MNLJ,
I would like to say many thanks for you have found some time to share your emotions and impressions about Solo Sokos Vasilievsky hotel! We are happy for you have appreciated the friendliness of the personal as the main option we work at is the service level- individual-friendly-caring service! I am very glad you have also felt it. The hotel is not actually in the very center of the city, but you admitted it is easy and very fast to get to the downtown, so I am also very grateful you admitted our location. Thank you for such a high estimation of breakfast, we shall keep going the same way and continue with the improvement of breakfast assortment.
Many thanks for your kind review! We are looking forward to meet you again in Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky for more time so that you could feel the caring atmosphere and enjoy the service and quietness of our rooms.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just spent two nights at the hotel but wanted to share how happy I was to have stayed there.
Everyone was very nice and attentive. I felt very comfortable knowing that any questions that I had regarding my visit to St Petersburg would be answer confidently by a knowledgable staff.
Would recommend this hotel, which by the way is within walking distance to major historic sites, without hesitancy.

Room Tip: Hotel stay through package
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Francisco R
Dear Francisco R,

We are happy to get such a warm review about the hotel! And we would like to assure you that we remember you and looking forward to meet you soon among our guests! Thank you for admitting the attentiveness of the personal, and that all of us seemed “knowledgeable staff”- this is the best compliment we could have received from the guest! We promise you to continue improvement of the service and keep going the same way. Also thank you for approval of our location, it is true that we are in a close distance from almost all the sightseers.

We will be very glad to see you again! So welcome again to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

I booked the room for the convenience of cruise to city center transportation offered by St. peterline 72h visa free cruise package. The hotel front and entrance does not look much, but the room turns out spacious, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast and wifi good. It is a little walk (20 min) to Hermitage though.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank S D
Dear S.D.,

Thank you for leaving a feedback about Solo Sokos Vasilievsky on tripadvisor.com. It is more that important for us to get opinion of our guests to improve the service!
We are very grateful for you mentioned the room’s square, comfort and quietness. Also thank you for approval of the wi0fi signal and breakfast quality. We would like to invite you again to Solo Sokos Vasilievsky may be for a longer period, so that you could feel our hospitality embodied in the caring service, experienced staff and tasty food!

Welcome back to our hotel!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Relativism is a key attitude and therefore you should always look around where you are and what the alternatives are. So this is a Russian hotel to be compared against the local alternatives and honestly you won't choose SPB for its hotels.

Back to this hotel, I found the rooms to be too small with limited natural light despite being in summer time. Honestly, I survived keeping in mind that it was just a place where to sleep after time spent for working and enjoying the city.

Location is fine, not too far from the main Prospekt, although it takes at least 20 minutes by walking to achieve it. Obviously, keep in mind that this location might be effective for tourists and for businessmen working in the northern areas. Forget it if you have to reach other areas.

As for attendance, the hotel seems to have several agreements with tour operators, therefore the hotel is always packed with tourists (on average 70 years old) who feel so excited about their experience in SPB to turn the breakfast into a crowded, noisy event. Happy for them, but honestly it's not the best way to start a stressful working day. However, breakfast is well above the 4 star standard.

Finally, a big opportunity for improvement is the reception and concierge service. Guys are all kind, but they might lack experience. I really struggled with taxis: always reserved via hotel, they were always illegal taxi, not-a-single-English-word speaker with a dynamic pricing system leading to pay always a different price for the same path. My advice is to get the mobile number of any decent taxi driver and reserve it by yourself (or leverage on new App).

Summary: if you just look for a place where to sleep, this hotel offers a good value for money; if not, look for better offers.

Room Tip: Higher floors have natural light, otherwise get used to electricity
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Johnny_Lorenz
Арина И, Guest Relations Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Dear Johny Lorenz ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay in Solo Sokos Vasilievsky.
I am sorry to read that there were aspects about your stay that did not meet your expectations and I would like to express my sincere apologies.

Thank you for the value of the location, that really suits tourist as the walking area and the Nevsky prospect is in 15 minutes’ walk from the hotel. As any hotel we also have partners among tour operators, and we can not expect what will be the age of the group, but we are glad to welcome everybody! I am very sorry you had some inconveniences during breakfast. Of course when it is crowded it is not a good start for a business day. Any waiter in the restaurant can help you, if you could have said that there was noisy for you we could have found a quiet area just for you in a tea room, for example. We hope you will be back to Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky and see the changes and improvements; we shall try to offer quiet areas for those who seem to need it. Also I would like to say many thanks to you for highlighting the breakfast quality, I am thankful for you comment ‘Breakfast is above 4 star standard” we worked a lot at it and continue improvements!

The remark about the reception and concierge services is already taken into consideration by the high management of the hotel; the work at service standard level is always had in our company, and will be continued. Thank you for your appreciation the kindness of staff, actually we are all helpful and aspire to make individual service.
The question about taxi we should investigate attentively. The dynamic of prices is caused possibly by the car type, may be concierge thought you expected to get a business class car, and once you were ordered a comfort class. This can be the only reason. But if anybody from the staff of the hotel orders a taxi he/she is responsible for it. We should know that you are safe, and in case you lose something or forget in a taxi we can find it and give back, that is why we give just trustful taxies and drivers with whom we work for 5 years.

In conclusion I would like to thank you again for you have found some time and gave so detailed and useful review. I would like to assure you that each comment was taken into consideration by the hotel management and the improvements will be made. Welcome back to our hotel and we promise to find a spacious and light room for you and make you feel caring service.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Outstanding and charming concierge advice on sightseeing, restaurants and public transport and car service booking. Restaurant not haute cuisine but consistently good and reasonably priced. Clean, comfortable en-suite rooms, constant hot water, reliable wifi A 20 min walk to city centre but easy public transport (beware of pickpockets)!

• Stayed May 2014
Anton V, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Solitaire28,

I'm very glad that you've found some time to share your impressions about our hotel.
That's great that you liked our Restaurant and facilities provided by the hotel. We work a lot to make the prices competitive and the service sincere and individual.
As you've pointed out in your review our concierge and all the staff are ready to help.

I hope your summer was great and I'm looking forward to seeing you in Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky!

Best Regards,

Anton Volodin.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

When our coach drew up outside I went 'hmm?'

Whe we went in the lobby I sighed with delight.

When we got to our room we were very happy. Undoubtedly the best hotel of our 2 1/2 week trip through, the Baltic states, Finland and Russia. Beautifully comfy bed, a bathroom with a bath, and an iron and ironing board on top of all the usual 4* stuff. But best of all, with temperatures hitting the mid nineties Fahrenheit, 34 Celsius, there was no mini bar but a proper fridge with two 0complementary bottles of water which were replaced every day. The room was very spacious.

The staff were very helpful, and presumably from experience, showed those just checking in how to operate the lifts with the room key.

Although the hotel seems away from the main life of St Petersburg I if you turn right, then right again and head for the metro you soon hit a variety of eateries.

My one quibble was with breakfast. I am wheat and dairy intolerant, don't eat grains even as breakfast cereal,and even the smell of fish can make my violently ill. So that left me yet again with bacon and egg, plus some melon and fruit tea. I could have killed for a fried potato; it would have done nothing for my cholesterol overload but I would have got some carbohydrate. Now for all those with wheat and gluten intolerance can I put in a plea for the humble potato - and please no polystyrene rice cakes - try eating one!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Арина И, Guest Relations Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Vasilievsky, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Moira 54,

That’s great that you have found some time to share your experience about our hotel! I am very grateful to you for such a detailed review.

That is undoubtedly a proud for us all that you liked to room’s equipment and found the bed comfortable! We still have mini-bar but, sorry to say, just in superiors, mansards and suites. But if you wish to have mini bar in standard room that is not a problem for us to put it, you could have asked any receptionist about it. So next time you visit our hotel never hesitate to ask us about anything concerned your comfort and room equipment we shall do our best to help you!
We all are happy that you appreciated the staff’s experience and friendly and helpful behavior as we work a lot with each member of the staff to make our service individual, sincere and helpful!

The location of the hotel also seems like not the very city center but still it is close to all the main tourists’ places of interest and in 5 minutes walk from the metro station and as you mentioned before from the pedestrian area where many places to eat are.

It seems you have some inconveniences during breakfast because of wheat and gluten intolerance. We are very sorry for that. We work a lot to make the diversity at breakfast and we shall continue improvements towards making complete breakfasts for those who are gluten and wheat intolerant and of course we shall work with the staff so that we all could offer and find something for you not to feel any inconveniences.

I would also like to thank you again for such a detailed review and to welcome you back to our hotel!