“Really friendly. Awesome location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nordhostel Hermitage

Nordhostel Hermitage
Sydney, Australia
“Really friendly. Awesome location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

We had a great stay at Nord Hostel. Would highly recommend it. Can't beat the location. The staff were amazing and really went the extra mile for us. The breakfast included and use of the kitchen is a great perk when on a budget.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank ElusiveLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Greek first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2010

Like others I was initially very disappointed that we were not at the Nord Hermitage location.

Like others, I had selected the Nord Hermitage site because I liked the idea of being close to the major attractions and I was looking to cut our walking time to a minimum. After all 6 hours in the Hermitage was quite enough walking without the extra journey time. And I confess I enjoyed the thought of swanning in and under and around that fabulous arch that shows on the Hostel’s details.
Tati's explanation for our change was that the other hostel is very noisy. On Nord's actual website under MAP they refer to ‘dorms only’ at the Hermitage address. (I’m sure that was not there when I booked) For clarity, I do think it would be a good idea to give both locations on Trip Advisor.
Fortunately, I had arranged transport from the airport through the Nord website and we ended up at the right address which is the Nord Hostel Kazansky. I think I would have been very cross if I was expected to take my luggage to the other address.

All this aside, the Nord Kazansky location turned out to be great! Tati, the manageress was incredibly helpful, and vivacious - from organizing our taxi pickup when we left to giving us instructions on how to best reach various places via public transport and on foot.
I loved walking beside the Griboedov Canal looking towards Nevesky Prospect with the Church of the Saviour of Spilled Blood on the canal horizon, the feeling of being part local life, the shops and the cafes. The local supermarket was just downstairs, (there is an interesting elevator) out the security gate, and a few doorways along. Shopping here for supplies was very easy

I found the older apartment building and the staircase with its wide steps (I'm sure Marlene Dietrich rode a horse down these very steps in Catherine the Great!) and the old fireplace on the ground floor (presumably to heat the stairwell once upon a time) broodingly charming. I felt like I was living in A Russian Novel (with some creative imagining)
Our room was fairly private as the walls are very thick. Unfortunately we only had single beds but that was ok. There are 4 or 5 rooms here, some with double beds.
The apartment was quiet and clean, although I would have liked to see the bathroom hand towel changed more frequently.
Access to the kitchen was good with breakfast things including eggs provided. I always travel with my coffee plunger and ground coffee. To be able to get up and make an early coffee just the way I like it (strong!) before tackling the day is a small but important ritual that verges into luxury. Just one more reason to stay at hostels.
We obtained our guest invitation directly through Nord. They were very helpful even with the problems at our end due to the Russian Embassy having holidays and further closures for computer upgrades.
We stayed here 6 nights and found it really suited our travel style.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eyes2c
Saint Petersburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

I spent three months in Russia for an art project. I was out to be inspired learn about the country and myself. I ended up staying in Nord hostel next to the Hermitage, it was a little strange being away for the first couple of days, but the staff became my friends and went out of their way to help me. They were interested and interesting. I needed somewhere a little more private as i was to be spending more time there, I was offered by Nord this adorable room in the other hostel they have, which is actually in a more trendy, fun area than the hermitage one.It was perfect and felt more like a shared flat, there was another long term business tenant staying there and with the staff we became a little family. I was extremely sad to leave but have made friends for life. Without Nord my whole experience would have been different, I would definately stay there again when I return.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank EllaM-W
Miami
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

Nord Hostel has despicable business practices.
Their entire marketing is all about the great location next to the Hermitage.
Just check the "map" link on tripadvisor. That is the only reason I agreed to spend about $100 U.S. a night in a hostel.

There is no mention on Expedia or Hostelworld or Trip Advisor about a second location
In all of my correspondence directly with the Nord Hostel, they never mentioned that I would be placed in a far off location.

I booked a private twin with them, had to pay fully in advance with paypal, and now I see why they require this.

When we showed up, reception was closed between 2 and 5pm, another misrepresentation from their listing, which said "24 hour reception" (they have since changed it).

When it opened, we were told we were NOT in the Nord Hostel, but in another location quite a long walk away. We had to lug all of our bags (my friend has a bad foot too). through the crowded streets of St. Petersburg to get to the other location, which was in a far inferior neighborhood with graffiti, down an alley with cats and beer bottles, up to a crappy apartment that seemed to have Russians living in it for long stretches at a time.

Nord Hostel's response is that there is a mention on their website under the "Map" tab that the private rooms are in another location, and because her e-mails to me included a website link below the signature, I was by "default" responsible to have scoured every tab of the website and read this. That map part was not even there before, they changed it later.
But even if it was, this is a ridiculous cop-out. They had plenty of opportunities to tell me that I would not be staying at the Nord Hostel.

NO MENTION of this far inferior location is made on Expedia (which we booked through), Tripadvisor, or other booking websites. Just because I sent her an e-mail directly (I had to contact them directly to pay them because you could not pay through Expedia), I should not be charged with reading the every inch of the website, even it if had been there.

The girls working at the hostel were friendly, but the Hostel manager, who is in the Netherlands or somewhere, refused to give us our money back. So we were robbed of $400 by this place and had to book with another place that really is in the area close to the Hermitage.

I cannot judge how the dorm rooms are, but I would never recommend giving your business to this type of establishment.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank Stargell
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed there on our way back from the Baikal Lake, that was one theese places where u just wanna stay to chill out and enjoy wonderfull time in St.Petersburg, the lace itself is super cosy with nice kitchen area, free internet, wi-fi and first of all with with great hospitality of two wonderfull girls Tati and Lena that will always give u a hand no matter what or where they are ( just call God-:), we love the place!!!
Monika& Mike

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikewarcholik
Zwolle, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2010

From here it's only two minutes walk to the Hermitage, that means you're in the heart of the city! Close to shops, restaurants, and metro's!
Very friendly and helpfull staff!! They will help you find your way and give you excellent tips about St Petersburg.
We enjoyed our stay very much. Only good and warm memories....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Madrid
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

The hostel is not prepared to accommodate so many people in such a small space. Despite the 2 dorms are spacious, a tiny bathroom with two toilets and two showers is not enough for all and the kitchen is very small and has no window. There is no living room, no A/C and no fan. And it is very noisy during the day and especially at night.
But the location can’t be better and the staff is nice.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family