“great time in this hotel”

Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge
Ranked #27 of 364 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I have stayed there 2 nights. All was great..from reception to the room and specialy an amazing in stunning SPA...breakfast is also nice , staff very polite ans devoted...just the lift is working badly...the roomm in the scandinavian style is nice , very confortable, near a 5 star.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Mr. Irosha,

Thank you for you comments. They are very useful for us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our specious rooms and breakfast. That is the most important things which you need in your business trip. And I am really happy that you had time to visit our amazing SPA. It is so important to have a good rest after a hard working day.
I am sorry if you weren’t satisfied with our lifts during your stay. I hope it didn’t cause you any worries.
I would like to invite you to our hotel once again and hope to see you soon.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,603)

Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel was amazing. It had everything you could possibly want and all just a ten minutes' walk from The Hermitage. Great comfortable rooms, free wi-fi, knowledgeable English speaking staff, huge pool complex, nine saunas, the best equipped gym I have ever used, bowling alleys, multiple restaurants... you name it this hotel has it.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Todd A
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Mr. Todd,

I would like to thank you for your kind feedback regarding your stay with us in Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge. I am really happy to hear that you like our facilities and services. We are really proud of our best equipped gym in a city. We are the only hotel, who has such a big training space. Our hotel guests can also visit group exercises, for example unique hot yoga, which is very good for health.

I really hope to see once again in our SPA-hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Just spent a week here and it was one of the best stays I have ever had on a business trip, with a little bit of leisure in the few spare hours away from the office. Spacious, comfortable and quiet rooms (I had a standard room), high quality bedding and towels, excellent mattress, very good space to work (large desk, good chair, good lighting -- surprisingly these things are often overlooked in business hotels). The rooms had those little touches which make business travel so much easier -- a small fridge, window that opened for fresh air, thermostat to adjust the room temperature, heated floors in the bathroom, excellent shower and plenty of hot water, heated towel rack [also good for drying hand-laundered sox ! ;-) ], bathrobe, slippers, an easy-to-operate room safe and a brand new ironing board and iron which fit neatly in to the closet; also plenty of space to hang clothes and coats. Free wifi throughout the hotel, with passwords which only last 24 hours, so some additional security during usage; and the signal strength was strong enough to watch video coverage of the election results on line. These seemingly minor things all make a big difference when you are on business travel, especially for extended periods. Excellent spa and gym, which are both a draw for local businesspeople.

The location is convenient and lovely -- right next to the beautiful university quarter, within steps of the river, 15-20 minutes beautiful walk from the Hermitage, 20 minutes walk from Nevsky Pr, next door to a small shop selling snacks and water. Costs about R500 by taxi to get to the main part of Nevsky Pr (let's say the Gost. Dvor metro stop), which is about 35 minutes' walk.

Only minor quibbles: some of the toiletries were missing and I had to ask for them; I had to ask for help to get my suitcases upstairs. And no English-language newspapers available.

Very good service, from front desk to concierge to room service to the snack bar/bar, to breakfast (and remember, this is is Russia -- where standards and expectations for personal service are often different from in the 'west'). Terrific breakfast buffet, with high quality array of a wide variety of fresh items. Excellent coffee -- always a necessity when travelling on business !

Will stay here again if another occasion to do business in St. Petersburg.

Room Tip: I had a room on a higher floor, away from the elevators and the glass fire doors -- it was very quie...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BonjourduCanada
Marina B, Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Dear Mr. Park,

Thank you for your informative feedback.
It’s a pleasure for us to provide our customers with 24-hour individual service.
Please, accept my apologizes for the absence of the toiletries in the room and for the bell boy service which was not provided in the proper way.
English – language newspapers are always available in the restaurant during breakfast and in the lobby area.
I would like to thank you for such a detailed feedback which helps us to improve our standards.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed in Superior room. Spacious, great bed, nice view, sufficient amenities.
Really good breakfast, great staff and helpful concierge.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Lappari,

Thank you for choosing Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge.
I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff is here to make your stay as comfortable and easy as possible. We permanently improving our services and your feedback is very useful for us.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us.
I do hope to welcome you again to Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge St. Petersburg.

Reviewed 8 February 2012

We have just returned from the Sokos Hotel, after staying there for 5 nights. Let me begin with the good points. The rooms were lovely and warm - very much needed with temperatures of up to -20 outside. The breakfasts were well presented and plentiful. Hotel itself good, but needs more care and attention to bring it up to its 5 stars. When we arrived we were asked by reception if we wanted to pay another £57 a night for a large suite which included a kitchen plus utensils, knives and forks etc I was puzzled by this as had no thoughts of doing any entertaining or cooking, only there four 5 nights and in a hotel - why would I want a kitchen!! We both only earn moderate salaries, and had saved up all year for this - why every would we want to do this - strange!

We had only booked this hotel because of its spa and steamrooms, yet when we arrived we were informed that they were all closed (meaning the pool and all 9 steamrooms) for maintenance. My friend and I go away to an East European country always at this time of the year to experience some snowy weather, then to have the luxury of a spa, jacuzzi and steamroom when we return to our hotel. To find out these facilities were closed was hugely disappointing. My friend has had a hip and knee replaced, and I suffer from asthma and arthritis in my knees, so a swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room are a luxury for both of us. The reception staff told us that we had been informed of this. I had all my booking details with me, including the confirmation of booking from the hotel which clearly stated use of spa, and an email from myself checking that the price we paid included the spa - and it certainly had not been mentioned anywhere that these facilities were closed during the time we were there. Had we known we would have booked a hotel much nearer to the Winter Palace which is a fair walk away. We couldn't change hotels because of the conditions of our visa. We had also booked and paid for a superior double room - I'm not sure exactly what we had over and beyond a normal double room - nothing really spoke to me of this being 'superior' (I really think we were ripped off on this - might be wrong!!).

The cost of food in the hotel is extortionate. As we were tired when we arrived, we decided to have a snack in the hotel bar. My friend had a small greek salad, and I had a BLT with a few fries, that and a gin and tonic and vodka and tonic (was there really any alcohol in either drink??) set us back nearly £55 - what a rip-off!! Disgusting. On the theme of eating, why oh why do they have a Spanish themed restaurant? With all the culture and wonderful art of Russia and St Petersburg in particular, why is the dining room (where breakfast is served) done out with tacky portraits of Flamenco dancers with the odd Spanish guitar scattered around - bizarre!! I just do not understand the need for this - why not celebrate their own culture and history?

The stay just really went from bad to worse. The hotel maid service did not supply any of the nice little extras that we would expect of a 5 star hotel. When, for example, coffee was used the supply was not replemished, we had to ask for more milk and tea. Out slippers disappeared after the 3rd day, and then on the Sunday morning I went to draw our curtains (having now no slippers on my feet!!!) only to step on a sharp shard of glass which, on pulling out, made my foot bleed profusely!!! (no the glass wasn't from us - must have been left from a previous occupant - and room not hoovered sufficiently to remove it!!). As there was blood over the carpet we reported it to reception (I must say they did ask us if we wanted to move rooms, but with only a couple of days left we just didn't want to). This was never actually reported anywhere on our room details.

To sum up I would say the hotel is masquerading as a 5 star hotel but should only be rated as a 3 or possibly 4 (given that we didn't get to use the spa). It is a shame as wouldn't really take much to get it up to 5. For example (and I know it's only a minor thing) we always love the little things like small bottles of shampoo, shower gel etc supplied in our room, the only day we got any of the was on our final day!! The tea and coffee should be replempished everyday without the need to keep asking.

When we left and were asked if we had a good stay - I was truthful and said no, the lack of a spa and cutting of my foot was upsetting. Admittedly the hotel did only charge us for 4 nights and not 5 (but this was only because of my foot nothing to do with the lack of spa). That was good of them, but the hotel is very expensive to stay in, and I don't believe that paying for 4 nights made up for the disappointment of not experiencing the spa. Altogether a very upsetting and very disappointing experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Carol L
Reviewed 2 February 2012

For my business trip to Russia I stayed in this cosy hotel in StP. They have used a lot of colors to giver the overall appearnace a warm lofty feel. Rooms are larger than average and the food is good. Free WiFi works in their favour. Room service works well. They lost some points when I - by moving a chair - stumbled upon some trash in my room :-(
Very friendly people although the English level at the reception could still be improved a bit. I will probably stay there again just to taste the great Beef Stroganoff!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Marina B, Front Office Manager at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Dear Robbie,

I would like to thank You for Your feedback as it helps us to improve our services.

Furthermore I’m delighted that You had a comfortable stay at our hotel.

It made me happy to hear that You enjoyed our cuisine which You order in our Room Service.

I was also happy that our free wi-fi was very useful for You.

I’m sorry that we didn’t meet our standard in housekeeping at that time.

And I’m happy to tell You employees in the front office agreed to take more English classes.

I’m sure Your next visit at our hotel will be wonderful and unforgettable and You taste our great

Beef Stroganoff.

I’m pleased to welcome You back at Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge.

Best regards,

Marina Bazyuk

Reviewed 19 December 2011

Good quality,nice service,polity stuff,good food ,nice interior.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple