“Great Place to Stay”

Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge
Ranked #31 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed 4 nights in August on a holiday booked through British Airways. We found the hotel location perfect - it is about 15 mins walk across the bridge to the Winter Palace, and 30 to 40 min to other attractions such as the Marinisky Theatre or the St Peter & Paul Fortress. Check-In was very quick & efficient - all the staff seemed to speak pretty good english. Our room was quite big (more like an American size than typical European hotels. Bathroom was more than adequate with a good quality, functional shower. Everything was kept clean & in good state of repair. The free WiFi worked perfectly, there was a kettle to make tea & coffee, and an iron if you wanted to look as smart as the locals!! Breakfast was included in our rate, and comprised a large & varied buffet - lots of fresh fruit, and a big selection of cooked options - including omelettes & eggs cooked to order. We did not try the hotels restaurants for lunch or dinner - there are are plenty of other choices nearby.
I am told the Spa facilities are exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mishenin K, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear TWinster13,

Thank You very much for Your kind review about Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge!

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed Your stay with us.
It is always a pleasure to read such kind words regarding our Hotel and service
and I will certainly share your comments with our team.

Hope to see You soon in St.Petersburg and Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge!

Warmest regards,

Kirill Mishenin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,530)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights last weekend. Having seen a fair share of hotels around the world, let me list some issues that taken alone might not be a big thing but together guarantee I will never be a guest at this property again. And just a quick reminder we are talking of one of the most expensive properties in Saint Petersburg and a 5* hotel:
- for a 45EUR extra we got a room upgrade, which included...nothing. Last floor (7th) still didn't give any view of out the window. None of the rooms have - reviews said it, well, trust them. If you're into a "room-with-a-view" in this nice city, look for another hotel
-blanket had some previous guests blood on it. A small drop but - hey - someone else's blood on my 5* bed?
- WC flush so powerful it actually flushes over the edge of the stool a bit like Niagara. First time around I have to admit I didn't see it coming, which wasn't so much of a problem happening in the hotel room with a change of underwear handy.
- 25 EUR/day underground parking = a rip-off given that it's free and plentiful on all adjoining streets;
- going to the SPA? Make sure you take that towel from your room. Seriously - you won't get it down there (SPA's in the basement)
- room service brings you food that's instead of hot (should be one elevator ride away from the kitchen, no?) feels like it's been a bit warm 10 mins ago.
- eggs-to-order during breakfast? Good luck. After waiting for 10mins with just 2 people in from of me, I had to review other food options. Cook was either stoned or extra slow from nature.
- one set of toiletries for double occupancy in the room. So they figured we should share and it should be enough for both of us? How very considerate. I'm sure it's due to "Green policies", what else could it be?
- same "Policies" for changing sheets/blankets only once in 2 days. I had to ring down to exchange that blood-stained blanket (discovered stain in the morning, was hoping it will just go away during house-keeping. Didn't).
- Some of saunas in the SPA are stinking like they are not properly serviced and/or cleaned
- Despite advertised SPA closing time 23:00, after 22:30 you'll find that expedited shutdown of operations is underway. Hurry up, will ya, we're tired and wanna go home.
- When you would reasonably expect to all SPA services be available at 9:00 in the morning (it opens at 7:00), half of saunas are not warmed up to their advertised temperature. It's saying ~95C, barely warm inside.
- restaurant menus visibly worn and with some very strange English dish definitions (like why Pelmeni can't be translated as Russian Dumplings and are just presented as "PELMENI"?)

To sum it all up, if you're looking for a nice experience in SpB - look elsewhere.

2  Thank bembux
Mishenin K, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear bembux,

I am sure you fully realize that I could not feel happy to read your feedback,
but it is always useful to learn how our Guests perceive our Hotel and to know which services need our special attention.

Your low estimate of our staff was very disappointing.
We have to admit that we really have some field for perfection,
but I am sure that even during Your stay with us You had chance to meet quite professional representatives of our staff who were eager and able to render high standard service to our Guests. I would not deny that some staff of ours needs additional training which, believe me,
we provide on a regular basis to get our personnel trained properly up to the Sokos Hotels standards.

I feel sorry that you experienced some inconveniences during Your stay with us.
Please accept my sincere apologies for that.

Please let me assure You that we will do the utmost to develop and polish up our services
and improve guest supplies quality to bring them up to the Sokos Hotels standards and to meet all the highest demands of our guests.

In spite of your comments, we still look forward to welcoming You one day back to Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge should you next visit St. Petersburg, and hope that then You will be able to re-estimate all our services and change Your mind with regard to our hotel. We will be working on this.

Once again thank You for your feed-back and sorry about all the inconveniences.

Should I be of any assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The room was big and well furnished, But the room service was not even OK. The breakfast was average due to variety and taste but the restaurant was small for number of people coming for breakfast every morning. The location was not bad near a nice bridge but not close to Nevsky Street.

1  Thank Hodaaa
Mishenin K, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Hodaaa,

Thank You very much for taking the time to leave feedback about our Hotel!

We value your comments and to be honest, your feedback has already helped us
to improve some of our services and business processes.

I appreciate that there were shortcomings on our behalf, however, I would like to reassure you that what you experienced is not the norm, and we pride our self in the service we provide.

Once again our most sincere apologies and look forward welcoming you to our hotel in the future so we can provide you with the impeccable service, which is expected of us.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

This is a very new hotel with spa on an excellent location on Vasilevski island. Unfortunately in my opinion it is unsuitable for business travel.
The good thing is that the personal is fluent in English and is usually able to help.
The problem is that the receptionists seem to know very little about anything and always refer you to a concierge.

The main issue is that the room is tiny with paper thin walls so if you're unlucky then you might end up listening to your neighbours showering and watching TV.
The view from all rooms is into the inner yard where are only rooftops of the gym and spa with all the related noises from the ventilation.
The other problem is that there is no decent table so it is impossible to work properly on your own laptop. There are two desks with computers in the "business centre" in the foyer which are very busy for obvious reasons.

There are two more things to know - the room cleaning is done between 9:00 and 19:00 and the quality of the cleaning is variable.

The last thing is that the breakfast is not included in the already high price and costs 1000 rubles which is about £18 at the current exchange rate.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David K

Dear David K,

No need to say how upset I was reading the feedback about Your stay
at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge.
Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences You experienced at our Hotel.

We really have some field for perfection, and we are working hard to improve our product,
to diversify assortment of food and guest amenities, to get our personnel trained properly up to the Sokos Hotels standards.

Your comments have already helped us to undertake proper prompt actions
to accomplish this task and to eliminate shortcomings You mentioned
and to avoid in the future such mistakes in our services.

We trust that Your journey home was safe, and we still hope that You will change your mind
and we will be honored to welcome You back to Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge
on Your next visits St. Petersburg.

Then we will be able to demonstrate some improvements to You,
and provide You with a faultless service.

With my warmest regards and best wishes to You,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel headlines itself as 5 star but is really more 4 star. The bedrooms urgently need redecoration (it's dingy at present) and new furniture (shabby) and the landing carpet is very dirty and needs replacing. Our bedroom was clean in the middle but not round the edges or under the bed and the bathroom was not cleaned every day. The spa and bar are excellent areas, however; I'm sure the hotel feels that this is where it is most on show although I disagree that these outweigh the feel-good factor of the bedrooms. The restaurant does a great breakfast but after that is dull and expensive. Top of the benefits is the location of the hotel - a short walk to where tourists most want to be.

Dear prisbishop67,

Thank You very much for such a constructive review.

I am sorry to hear about Your disappointments during Your stay.
We will work through Your comments improving the work of the hotel departments
in order to enhance our service and overall performance.

We value every comment that our Guests leave on Tripadvisor, as our everyday goal is to maximize of service individualization, balance of life, focus on a healthy lifestyle.
Every time we received a lot of positive and appreciative comments from our Guests
about our amazing SPA Center and Aqua Zone and I am glad that You joined them.

We hope to welcome You to our hotel once again during Your next visit to St. Petersburg
and to have a possibility to satisfy You with the traditional Sokos Hotels hospitality.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay here. The staff are reasonably friendly and helpful if called upon. The breakfast is excellent and the spa is utterly superb (and some of the sauna descriptions are intentionally very funny for English speakers). My room was excellent. The only complaint I would have is that my sheets smelt of other people just a wee bit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lorraine S
Mishenin K, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Lorraine S,

Thank You very much for taking the time to leave feedback about our Hotel!

We are very happy to hear that you are pleased with Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge. We do value Your opinion.

Your kind words made Us very happy and also proud.

Welcome back to Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge!

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I think when a hotel have an acceptable rate in its service, it's breakfast and it's accesses are most important. It is important for a hotel to be clean, but I don't like hotels which are cleaner than myself. This hotel services are acceptable and it's staff are frienfly, specially when I asked them to help me in working with an all Russian language machin. It's breakfast was very good but not excellent. Specially it could have more fresh fruits. It's position is good and you can see most St. Petersburg attractions by walking in less than an hour; but I think hotels in Nevskey have better position. So I rate this hotel as very good.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hossein N
Mishenin K, Менеджер по обслуживанию клиентов at Solo Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Hossein N,

Thank You very much for taking the time to leave feedback about our Hotel!

Your kind words made Us very happy and also proud.

Welcome back to Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge!