“Good choice”

Happy Pushkin Boutique Hotel
Ranked #117 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The exterior of the building does not provide any indication of the sumptuous interior that you'll find inside. While many hotels are going with sleek, minimalist design, the Happy Pushkin has gone in the opposite direction. The use of velvet upholstery, crystal chandeliers, flocked wallpaper and an abundance of red paint recalls an era that is echoed on the streets of St. Petersburg.

The room reflected the aforementioned decor but the bathroom was very modern and sleek. Talk about contrasts. The bathroom had a deep bathtub. Typical bathroom toiletries were provided (shower cap, shampoo and conditioner, etc.) as were bath robes. They also provide a clothesline in the tub area for those who want to dry their handwashed items.

Breakfast buffet was very good. Bliny, sausages, hard boiled eggs, cheese, fruit, etc.

My only gripe was with the location of my room. As mentioned by another reviewer, there is a creepy hallway that is located on the 4th floor. It is painted in red but is pitch black when the hallway lights are not turned on. There is no switch to turn on the hallway light but you have to walk about halfway down the hall before the sensor kicks the light on. That sensor should be at the start of the hallway to light the guest's way. In the US, no insurance company would allow that hallway to be that dark for fear of a guest tripping in the dark. All of the other hallways were brightly lit. Not sure why they went cheap with that hallway. Very strange.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Игорь Т, Manager at Happy Pushkin Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Thank you very much for your review about "Happy Pushkin" hotel. We really appreciate your opinion, it is very important for us. We are glad that you assess our rooms and decoration of hotel. Also we are glad that you assess our brakfasts and variety of dishes. In the near future we will change light sensors in halls, we present our apologieses for inconvenience. We will glad to see you again at "Happy Pushkin".

Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2013

A lovely little hotel, the guys on the front desk were particularly helpful and friendly and spoke very good English.
My room was spacious, clean and tidy with a well stock mini bar and good Wi-Fi connection. The hotel seemed to be traditionally furnished but with all the mod cons. The only downside is the walls are very thin and you can hear people in the corridor and adjoining rooms.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice, eggs and bacon were freshly cooked to order. They also had a good lunch/evening menu.
Location wise the hotel is one street away from the river and a short walk to the bridge connecting Vasileostrovskiy Island. The Mariinsky Theatre, Hermitage Museum and Nevsky Prospekt are all within walking distance.
All in all my stay here was made better by the lovely attentive staff that work there.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AnastasiaTraveller
Игорь Т, Manager at Happy Pushkin Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Anastasia,

Thank you for positive review about "Happy Pushkin". We are glad, that you got positive impressions from your staying at hotel. Thank you that you appreciate our restaraunt, rooms and location. We will glad to see you again at "Happy Pushkin".

Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We just arrived and had requested early check-in. I was nervous when arriving at 9am but they were very accommodating. Alexander at reception is probably one of the nicest guys I have had the pleasure of dealing with in over 100 hotels I have stayed in. he quickly changed my room to a double with smoking and because it was not prepared yet he let me go to breakfast. what a great way to start my new year vacation!! Lets hope it continues....
Don't let the negative reviews put you off trying this. it's not a Novotel but instead very beautiful and traditional with all modern services available.

• Stayed: December 2012
Игорь Т, Manager at Happy Pushkin Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2013

Dear Mr. Mike Scott
Thank you for warm words about hotel "Happy Pushkin", it was very nice to read your review for all hotel staff.
We try to make everything to satisfy all our guest desires, we will glad to see you again at "Happy Pushkin" .

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed here during July 2012 on a week long city break and may I start by congratulating the hotel staff, not only were they friendly and competent but also spoke very good English and were also keen to share with me their knowledge of their city.
The room was a decent size with a large double bed, the room had air conditioning, tea and coffee making facilities, tv, mini bar and a good wi-fi connection.
I got a good and large quality breakfast every morning which set me up for the day ahead.
Overall a very good hotel, would stay there again and recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jamiefuk
Irina K, Manager at Happy Pushkin Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Jamie
Thank you very much for staying with us and your positive feedback!
Thank you very much for your warm words addressed to the staff. Many thanks for mentioning our room and breakfast.
We will be glad to see you again at "Happy Pushkin".

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Mkay, I'm not even that big on leaving reviews - I only do it if the experience was really bad or really good! Well in this case I just have to leave one because I want staff to know that we loved the hotel and had absolutely amazing time there. We stayed there only for a few days - but I wanted to have something special for our anniversary so I made sure I specified that to the hotel staff and we were greeted with a lovely welcome gift :) So we had just a standard double, but it was really nice - it had the same feel and decor as the rest of the hotel BUT had all the modern fixtures - A/C, TV, great bathroom, wi-fi etc Breakfast was surprisingly lavish and yummy - my hubby was mighty pleased with that :) Very friendly and competent staff, very helpful and patient - we got great tourist tips and directions. Overall a very positive experience - totally recommended to those who like unique and interesting hotels!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JuniperMe
Irina K, Manager at Happy Pushkin Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear Madam,
Thank you for staying with us and your positive review. Thank you very much for mention our room facilities. We are glad you liked our hotel and staff. Its very important for us.
We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

After booking and paying up front (about a month in advance) for 8 nights in this hotel in a standard double room, we arrived to find that we had been assigned to a standard double room on the unfinished fourth floor. This meant that we had to take an elevator to the third floor and then walk up from the elevator (or down to the elevator) a creepy, crumbling flight of steps and down a long, dark corridor to finally reach our room. There is no question that this room should have been discounted. It was not what they promised us. But since we booked through an agency, they refused to refund the difference. There are no city views. The room was kind of "forgotten" - three times we had to remind them to clean it as we returned and it was just like we left it. It is as if it was not part of the main hotel.
On the Happy side, the room itself was very comfortable, breakfast was just fine (when there was room in the dining room), the staff was courteous for the most part.

Room Tip: Do not book through an agency. Try and book directly through the hotel. Otherwise you may be put on...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Shelly K
Irina K, Manager at Happy Pushkin Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

Dear Shelly,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconvenience you went through at our hotel. It is good to hear that you have enjoyed your room , breakfast and staff. However, we appreciate both positive and negative comments, since they provide us the guidelines for improvements for our service. We have briefed the housekeeping department as we do take all your comments seriously and we will take the necessary steps immediately. And let me say about the fourth floor, we are very sorry that you saw our stairs without carpet. It has now been repaired and we again apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Hope you enjoyed both your trip and one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 9 October 2011

After I had had enough of the terrible Oktiabrskaya I booked one week at the Happy Pushkin at a really good rate through booking.com. It cost less than the Oktiabrskaya, so despite the good reviews on tripadvisor I did not have great expectations.
But I was wrong! I had a lovely room with a big bed and flat screen telly, a mini bar, and a nice breakfast included (see my photos). The staff were very friendly.
The only negative points I could find were that the location is somewhat off Nevsky, where I had classes every day. It took me 40 minutes to walk to school every morning. And there is no nearby metro station unfortunately. Also, there was the smell of cigarette smoke coming through the air ventilation in the bathroom, but that was only during the first night when, I assume, a smoker must have been in a nearby room.
Finally, although they have free Wifi it doesn't really work in the room. The connection is not strong enough.
Nevertheless, I can only recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo