“nice restaurant in Saint-Petersburg”
Review of Mama Roma

Mama Roma
Ranked #627 of 10,705 Restaurants in St. Petersburg
Price range: US$12 - US$18
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vasilyevsky Island
Reviewed 8 September 2013

nice homely and romantic atmosphere for a couples ?friends or just to get a bite!The service a ok and the prices also average not very expensive

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We were not familiar with the Mama Roma chain but were staying at the Sokos Palace Bridge hotel from which this restaurant is an easy walk so decided to try it.

We asked for the non-smoking section and were offered a choice of two tables. It was fairly busy being Easter Saturday and a lovely sunny day. The outside seating area was full.

A waitress came and explained with a smile that she didn't speak much English. We said our Russian is only a few words so her English is bound to be better than that! The menu is long and in Russian and Italian but has lots of pictures so we just pointed to what we wanted and she seemed happy to serve us.

We were brought what was described as focaccia but was more like thin, crispy pitta pockets. My husband had the veal stew and rice which he enjoyed a lot and I had the pasta pockets stuffed with cream cheese served in a cream and ham sauce. There wasn't much of the pasta but it was tasty. For dessert we had a piece of cake each both of which were very nice. We didn't think it was expensive for St Petersburg and £6 for a Bellini seems par for the course.

We found the service pleasant and felt quite comfortable there.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Nothing special here, same food like in any other Mama Roma restauraunts across Russia. OK food, ok service. A little bit expenesive thought.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Really avoid this place, the service was bad, the food was expensive for what it was and the wine was way out of price.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stopped in this restaurant after having been snubbed by a French place down the block. I had made the mistake of asking if the waitress spoke English.
So, when I walked into Mama Roma's I told the girl, in Russian, that I spoke English but did not speak Russian.
The two women there did not speak English, but they were very nice to us, and we had no difficulty expressing what we wanted.
My only complaint would be that the cheapest glass of wine in the place cost over $10.00. For some reason, the house "special" was not available, and since we didn't speak each other's languages, I can't tell you if that is common or not.
The menu has many pages, so it is hard not to find something that you'd like to eat.

The food was fabulous. I ordered the gnocci with Gargonzola cheese and I can still taste how wonderful it was.

I highly recommend this place.