“Good and quit Hotel....”

Nevsky Contour Hotel
Ranked #21 of 334 Hotels in St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Good and quit Hotel....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

A nice hotel with a good service. Good breakfast The hotel is convenient to the Metro. The location is very good. Very friendly staff.....and they all speaking English. When I ever return to St Petersburg, I will chose this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Nevsky88
Natacontour, Администратор at Nevsky Contour Hotel, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank You very much for your nice review. We will be glad to see you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We booked the hotel and a taxi from Ottawa before our trip. We reached St-Pettsburg in the afternoon of the 12thof August. A person was waiting at the airport with a private old car to drive us to the hotel. When we first booked for the taxi we were aware of the fare of the “taxis” and that the hotel fare was a little bit more expensive than the regular taxi fares but we did it to save the hustle of finding a taxi at the airport. I think we did well because with the traffic jam it took us over two hours to reach the hotel.

The hotel is located on Nevsky street the main area of St-Petersburg. The hotel is on the 3rd floor of a five stories very old building recently renovated (in the last ten years) from the inside to be a 10 rooms hotel. We checked in on August 12th and checked out very early on August 15th.
The hostess at the reception at our arrival, I forgot her name, provided with an excellent service. For a couple, the hotel provides a single half liter of mineral water for the complete stay.
Our room, the Pushkin room, was very small but the space was very well managed with a comfortable queen size bed, a small table and a flat screen TV. The bathroom was also very small (1.5 m x 3.0 m) very well managed by a shower, a toilet and a sink. The room was very clean on our arrival and very tastefully decorated.

The doors of the rooms are soundproof. Once inside you cannot hear the noise inside the hotel. There is no air-conditioning in the room but a ceiling fan. In the evening, if you keep the window open you will clearly hear any conversation or any noise going on the street. It is better to close the window and to put the fan. There is a variety of TV channels but all are in Russian. No single channel is in English.

The bed are prepared by the maid every day. The towels are not replaced and the floor is not cleaned. We asked the reception of two bathrobes. They are provided for no additional costs for the duration of the stay.

Breakfast is provided between 8:30 am and 10:30 am in a very small space besides of the reception. You can have tea or coffee. For the food there is a choice between corn flakes, broiled egg, salami, marmalade and pate de foie or pate de poulet. You can also choose between brown or white bread and have access to a toaster.

The front desk reception hostess of the second day was Nataly. Nataly also was an excellent hostess with a very kind service. The front desk hostess of the third day was Paulina. So, on the third day, I was at the reception at 10:40 am. Paulina was somehow aggressive. She did not like to see a late client for breakfast. She removed the toaster in front of my eyes and yelled that I am late and breakfast is now over and I should learn not to be late. I apologized of being late and ask at least for a coffee. Coffee and tea are supposed to be served 24 hours in this hotel. She shut off the coffee machine in front of my eyes and told me that the coffee machine is now broken and there is no coffee as well. I did not appreciate her temperament representing this hotel. I requested to put some toast aside for the breakfast telling her that my wife is following. She yield for the third time that breakfast is over. At the very moment my wife reached the dinning room. I explained my wife the situation and my wife talked to Paulina in Russian. Paulina was more friendly speaking to a Russian guest than me to an English speaking guest. Two measures, two levels. Nevertheless, we were allowed to have breakfast but punished of being late and did not had any coffee/ Still she did not put back the toaster and we were allowed to some untoasted bread with whatever Paulina left in the dinning room. We went back to our room disappointed of Paulina’s attitude. Half an hour later, my wife went back at the reception desk. Nataly and Paulina were there. My wife asked Paulina if the coffee machine is till broken from where we can buy coffee in the nearby. Then my wife came back to the room. At this moment, Paulina called our room to mention that the coffee machine is now working. I would say thanks to Nataly that who told Paulina that her manner to treat guest is unacceptable.

I assume that after Paulina has been told to behave, she changed 180 degree to become a very helpful hostess to go out of her way to help but still without a single apology for the incident of the morning. She was now willing with booking of our departure taxi and explaining the way of how to get to a concert we booked on the evening of the third day. The morning of the fourth day we were leaving a 5:45 am. Paulina was awake early and prepared the usual breakfast, served us coffee and was very kind. She became the ideal hostess a guest would like to see.

Overall all, quality price the hotel is very clean, very well located and a very good option. We stayed last year in a somehow mini hotel but the quality was not as good as in this hotel. Despite the mini incident with Paulina, I will happily come back to this hotel next year. I will recommend the management to add one or two tv channel in English providing no Russian speaking guest to enjoy tv as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gabriel N
Natacontour, Администратор at Nevsky Contour Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review. Paulina expressed her apologies towards your unpleasant experience. We hope that it was just a little misunderstanding. Hope to see you again to have a chance to improve your expression from our Hotel:)
Saint Petersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

Nice,friendly hotel. Very good service. Clean, they helped my son to find and buy a ballaleika. Very good location, on Nevky Prospect, close to the metrostation.
When we ever return tot St Petersburg, we wil chose this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you very much for your nice review. We hope that your son enjoyes his new balalaika:) We will be glad to welcome you in our Hotel again!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

It's true, Nevsky Contour is hard to find but not impossible and definitely worth the effort. After a very difficult process to acquire visas it was just as well we enjoyed our time in St Petersburg as much as we did. The Nevsky contour was a delight; comfortable, clean and convenient to Metro and reasonably priced and atmospheric restaurants with home-style cooking. But the most memorable feature of the hotel was the truly excellent service from the staff especially Olga. Nothing was too much trouble for her; she explained all the hotel features in a refreshingly friendly manner and volunteered to phone our restaurant to see if they took credit cards as well as offering more eating venues. Next morning there she was multi-tasking in the cute breakfast room making coffee and organising the other staff members. Booking online was easy because of the fluent and helpful way the process was managed. Our Nevsky Contour experience made it into second place on the St Petersburg highlights - Hermitage was a stand out number one! Thanks, Olga!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nelly B
Thanks a lot for your warm review! It is so nice to learn that you enjoyed staying in our Hotel. Thanks a lot for the kind words about our staff and Olga. She is very pleased with your warm compliments:) We will be very glad to welcome you in our Hotel again.
Ventura, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

When I made the reservation I knew I was booking a room on the lower budget. I had actually read all the reviews from the Annabelle hotel but that costs more and I figured how bad can Contour be if in the same building.
I paid for a car to pick us up at the airport. Our driver was there waiting for us. We were nervous that the currency exchange office was closed and we didn't have any russian money on us. This must have been the first time the driver did a pickup for the hotel as he had a hard time finding the place even though I saw him pass up the hotel once. There was no way of telling him because he didn't speak english. He finally called someone and got us there. Luckily, the driver was previously paid and we didn't have to deal with it.
Everything went smoothly with check in. The front desk girls speak english so that makes things much nicer.
When I first walked in the room I thought, "OMG, I should have just paid a little more for the Annabelle" but I was tired from our long day and thought I would look at everything in the morning with fresh eyes. Next day I was fine with the room. The bathroom was clean and everything worked fine. The only downside about the hotel is that there isn't air condition. We did have a large window and a ceiling fan and nice cool air came in the room but we had to leave the curtains open for the air to flow through. The problem with leaving the curtain open is the twilight. We are from the US where we don't have twilight so it gets pretty hard to get used to that. The bed was comfortable. The hot water was plentiful and water pressure was good. There was plenty of space to put things. I felt the hotel was safe and we didnt have to worry about anybody stealing anything. The front door to the hotel is securely locked and no one can come in wondering from off the street. There's also a safe in the room in case you need it.
Breakfast was the same everyday but it's nice to have it to start your day. I would definitely stay here again if ever in St P and I strongly suggest you have the driver pick up service. There are so many crooks in St P that you really cant trust anyone.
Warning: We walked out of the hotel and got a half block from the hotel when some guy approached my husband and said, "Passport Control" The guy was in plain clothes. My husband just pretended not to hear and waved him off but he noticed that the guy was working with two women. These people work in groups so you really have to watch your surroundings.

Room Tip: Perhaps pick a room that is on the side of the kitchen and not facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank You very much for your nice review! We are very glad to all in all you enjoyed staying in our hotel and we will be happy to welcome you in our Hotel again!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Hotel is great, located in the center, everything is attainable by feet. Staff is also great, everybody speaks English. Breakfast is not so poor, and advantage is that you can get coffee for free any time. To some up the experience was great.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mariasheulova
Natacontour, Администратор at Nevsky Contour Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Thank You very much for your words. Hope to see you again in St Petersburg and in Nevsky Contour Hotel:)
Winterthur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

This hotel is very nice, our room was quiet and bright, the bathroom very nice and clean. We were in St. Petersburg when it was very hot and the room staid cool thanks to the ceiling fan.
Breakfast in the small lobby was a bit cramped.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Steffi g
Thank you. We have recently opened new colourfull Comfort Rooms so our hotel became twice bigger. To next season we are planning to expand our lobby space. We really like when our guests enjoy with their stay and we try to do our best.