I spent two night at Tradition Hotel in August 2013, and was very pleased with my stay.
The location is great, especially if you consider the reasonable price (I paid around EUR 75 – a real bargain in St.Petersburg). It will take you about 10 minutes to walk to the metro station “Sportivnaya”, 5 minutes to Peter and Paul Fortress, 10-15 minutes to the Winter Palace and 20 minutes to The Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood.
I had a single room, and appreciated the narrow bed– the rest of the room got more spacious and open. The bed was comfortable with big pillows, the air-condition was super effective (it cooled down the room in a couple of minutes) and I heard very little from the street. The room was well maintained, seemed “new” (with an old style though) and clean. The receptionists were all helpful and spoke well English. They also helped me with Visa to Russia, and answered questions over email before arrival. Extra plus for that! The only thing that put a downer to my stay was the Internet connection – or the lack of it. I could barely check my e-mail and Facebook.
A taxi from the airport to the hotel costs about RUB 1000, and I did not even consider it, as I am used to travelling alone and on budget. Unfortunately the alternative turned out to be a bit more complicated than expected. But if you, like me, are determine to save some bucks and think that it cannot possibly be that difficult, here is the way:
1. When you leave the airport, walk 50 meter to your left and you will find the bus stop for #13. The ticket cost RUB 25 in August 2013. Depart at “Moskovskaya” (after about 30 minutes), where you will spot the entrance to the metro right away
2. Buy a “ticket” (a token here) for RUB 28 (two if you are carrying luggage). Take Line 2 to “Sadovaya” and change to Line 4. Depart at “Sportivnaya”
3. When you get up from the metro, walk alongside the park (away from the stadium).
This is the easiest way to ne sure you are walking in the right direction. Follow the road and you will easily find the hotel near the waterfront. It should not take more than 12 minutes to walk with suitcases
There was plenty of long and steep stairs on the old metro stations, so get ready for some serious workout with heavy luggage. English is rarely spoken… And no, Russian is not very easy to read or understand. But if you are up for the challenge… =)
The breakfast costs RUB 800, and was in my opinion not even worth trying. I took the metro to “Okay” (station “Electrosila”, line 2), a big supermarket in St.Petersburg, and bought food for three days. It cost me around RUB 800. Money saved, is money earned!
If you want the cheapest souvenirs, buy them at the stands inside Paul and Peter Fortress.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tradition Hotel, located in the very heart of the city, offers you a great experience of accommodation with a unique location, traditional interiors and modern equipment. It is surrounded by some of the world's greatest tourist attractions, including the Peter and Paul Fortress, Palace Bridge, the State Hermitage. All our 16 rooms are delicately decorated and non-smoking, equipped with electronic key system, individual climate control, LCD TV, safe and free tea station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Tradition Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.