“A perfect experience”

Saint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg City, Russia
“A perfect experience”
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Great hotel.
The athmosphere of style and comfort. The very and very helpfull stuff.
Situated in the very historic center and close to Metro.
The miX restaurant of Alain Ducasse was as great as I expected.Tasty food, good service. I recommend Kamchatka crab bisque, porquetta and the very special Ducasse's baba for the dessert.
Nice SPA with pool and gym.

Room Tip: Ask fot the room with the view on the St. Isaak. It is worth it.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elena M
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear Elena M,
Thank you very much for your review about W St. Petersburg. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere, helpful staff, our restaurant and spa.
Looking forward to see you soon,
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oslo
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This hotel experience was the best I have ever had! I felt like the most important guest on the hotel! ( I was definatley not...)
First of all, the hotel is situated next to all the most important tourist attractions in town. There is so much to see in St.Petersburg, so the location was very valuable for us!

The service was excellent, the staff was helpfull in all ways, good in room dining (excellent food), we got great tips on where to eat and the staff allways treated us like we were important to the hotel, without beeing to intrusive.
I will definatley stay there again!!

Room Tip: Me and my friend shared a standard double bed room. The room was spacious and the bathroom had a hig...
1 Thank Heidrunoslo
Dear Heidrunoslo,
Thanks very much for your review regarding your W St. Petersburg experience. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay, and like any other, you are the most important guest at W St. Petersburg.
I am happy to hear that our central location allowed you to explore all major attractions, as well as you enjoyed your room and all other amenities.
I am looking forward to welcome you at W St. Petersburg again.
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Checking into W is very pleasurable experience - they make one feel like a prince. I stayed in a Marvellous room for 3 nights - quite spacious and luxurious. I personally had doubts about the slightly camp and rather modern decoration set up in the room, but it does not distract from the quality or comfort of the room. Iphone ready boom-box by the bed and massive top quality towels in the bathroom are little things which improve the experience even more.
Service is very good.
This hotel has a pretty good gym - all the stuff needed in terms of weights and aerobic machines, and it is all actually working and looked after.
There is no off street parking, but for most people who visit Petersburg this is probably not a problem.
This place makes you feel good!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Craigmoto
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear Craigmoto,
Thank you very much for your review regarding your recent stay at W St. Petersburg.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed our service, room and decor, as well as our gym.
We are looking forward to welcome you again.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We did recently have a very comfortable stay at the W in St Petersburg. The hotel was absolute fantastic! The service was outstanding; a warm welcome by the front desk, helpful staff at all levels, at all times, great food, quick service at in-room dining. Terrific king size soft bed!!

The hotel is perfectly located in the city; near to the Winterpalace and the shopping street. Great hotel for both business travellers, couples and friends.

1 Thank 102012
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 4 November 2012
Dear 102012,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay at W St. Petersburg. It's a pleasure to hear that you had a great experience during your visit.
I am glad you have enjoyed our service and location, as well as the signature W bed where waking up is absolutely wonderful.
I am looking welcome you at W St. Petersburg again.
Michigan
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I stayed at the W St. Petersburg in July 2012 while visiting Russia for the first time.

The excellent - the location is a great one. Close to the Hermitage Museum, St. Isaac's Cathedral, Nevsky Prospect main street, and most of the major historical sights and attractions, yet it's on a quieter street a few blocks away from the loud noise and traffic on Nevsky Prospect. Awesome view of St. Petersburg and St. Isaac's Cathedral from the rooftop terrace bar. Another excellent thing is that the hotel was very prompt in issuing me the invitation that is required when applying for a visa to visit Russia. They issued it within 24 hours of me making my reservation, which I found very impressive.

The good - the public areas and the rooms are very comfortable and clean. The service is very friendly and energetic, if a little disorganized sometimes. A number of the staff members struggle a bit with English, but they try very hard nonetheless.

The OK - the pool and the hot tub were OK, but the temps were a little chilly. The fitness center was OK, nothing special. The rooftop terrace bar had enthusiastic service, but it was a little disorganized, with long waits for drinks, even when it was not very crowded. Also, after being seated in the bar, I was asked by the wait staff to move two separate times in order to accommodate other guests - not a big deal nor an inconvenience - was happy to oblige but found this a little odd.

The bad - Internet access is very limited at this hotel, at least for many American news and commercial sites. Perhaps this is more of an issue of Russian government restrictions on the Internet for foreigners, and maybe not something the hotel imposed. But be warned that accessing even basic US news sites can be extremely limited. The hotel was also a little too trendy for my tastes. Yes, I knew going into my stay that this was a W, so I expected it to be trendy, but I don't think it's necessary to play the club music in the hallways everywhere you go. Also, breakfast is massively overpriced ($45 USD per person for the buffet), and the hotel itself is extremely expensive for virtually everything - room rates, drinks at the rooftop terrace bar, etc.

Overall, I give this hotel an average rating, because I think that while the location is excellent and the hotel is very clean and comfortable, the hotel could definitely use some improvement in its service and also be a better value.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank laker777
Dear grsurfer,
Thanks so much for sharing your detailed review regarding your W St. Petersburg experience. I am sorry to hear that we couldn't meet your expectations.
The internet connection in the hotel is 90 mbps, which is quite a good speed to surf websites, but I will review this with the IT and see if there is anything wrong from our end. Also will share with your other comments with the team to improve all areas and exceed your expectations on your next visit.
On a positive note, I am glad that you have enjoyed the location and our comfortable rooms.
Looking forward to see you at the W St. Petersburg again.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 October 2012

This W property is relatively new. Being a Platinum member, they upgraded me to a suite! (Love the way Starwood treats its Platinum members!) Needless to say, the W Suite is extremely lovely and comfortable, so much so that it was so difficult to step out of my comfortable room.

The W properties almost guarantee great service and excellent rooms (I've stayed at the ones in Bali and Hong Kong prior to this). And this hotel has an awesome location, situated just next to the St. Isaac's Cathedral, and 10 minutes walk to the Hermitage/Winter Palace, and near to numerous cute cafes and great restaurants. It is a mere 15 minutes drive to the Train Station too. Taxis are readily available at the entrance of the hotel, and the hotel staff helped us negotiate a good rate to take us to the train station (around 600 roubles), so it was effortless. We walked around everywhere in St. Petersburg, thanks to the hotel's awesomely convenient and centralized location.

I enjoyed my stay tremendously and would highly recommend this property to all travellers!

Dear nemrac_coco,

Thank you for sharing your review about W St. Petersburg. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your SPG platinum benefits at our hotel.
It's good to hear you liked the service, comfort of the room and our location. And thank you for recommending us to other travelers.
Hope to see you at W St. Petersburg soonest.
Best Regards,
South West England, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,130 helpful votes
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Many hotels have great rooms or great service, but the most important is a great location. Fortunatley the W has all three, location, service and rooms were all great.
We have never been to St Peterburg before and like many tourists we came to see the sights. The hotel is located in the Historic quarter where the vast majority of sights were located, and most were within walking distance. The Hermitage which is a must see is only 5 minutes away.

We went in May, and a number of comments on Tripadvisor at the time criticized the service at the hotel, we had no problems at all, if anything the service was better than most 5 star hotels we have stayed in Europe. As the hotel is quite new I suspect there may have been some teething problems in the early months but am pleased to report the hotel seems to have overcome these problems.
Rooms were great also, I liked the TV in my bathroom mirror and the rain forest shower was a nice touch. The bed was superb and very comfortable.
We like the ground floor bar with fireplace but were disappointed in the bar on the top floor which lacked atmosphere and was a little pokey. The bar on the roof had not opened but the staff let us have a quick look, it was impressive and with great views of the dome of St Isaacs Cathedral. The spa was a little small as was the pool.
All in all a great experience and we highly recommend the W and look forward to staying again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AvidTraveler12
Dear AvidTraveler12,
Thank you very much for your review regarding your experience at W St. Petersburg.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our service, rooms and the location, and looking forward to welcome you back in the future to W St. Petersburg.
Best Regards,