“Superb Hotel”

Ranked #22 of 334 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Crystal River, Florida
“Superb Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

My family stayed her in April for 2 nights. We absolutely loved it. The people that worked at the front desk spoke perfect English. The rooms were very nice, we had a rollaway bed in our room to accommodate our child. Housekeeping did a fine job.

But the thing I liked most about this hotel was its location. We were able to walk to many of the attractions. Safe neighborhood.

One negative: We did not like the breakfast, the cheese was like rubber and the overall quality was not worth $30-35 per person. Skip the breakfast.

If I were to go back to St Petersburg I would stay here again. We had a great time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear LivelyFlorida,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about W St. Petersburg! This is great that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and could make a lot of sightseeing. Thank you for your comment about the breakfast – we will share it with our Beverage & Food partner Alain Ducasse Enterprise. At the moment we are ready to offer different options of the breakfast to our guests – American and Continental breakfast at miX in St. Petersburg restaurant, in-room dining breakfast varieties and also grab & go style breakfast at W Café. I hope you will find one you like most during your next visit. Thank you for recommending W St. Petersburg. Looking forward to see you back soon,
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
bratislava
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

My husband and I would like to thank you for an enjoyable stay in your hotel. Staff was very professional and helpful, and Anastasia from Whatever/Whenever service went above and beyond to satisfy our special wish - Hungarian speaking private guide. We had a delightful experience!
We were truly impressed with the hotel and the city, its rich history and welcoming people. One day we hope to return and look forward to another pleasant experience at the W hotel. Thank you for your hospitality and we look forward to stay with you in St. Petersburg again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear luciasip,
Thank you so much for your positive review and for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels. I’m glad you liked our service and that our Whatever/Whenever exceeded your expectations and managed to organize you a guided tour in the city.
Looking forward to see you back in W St. Petersburg soon,

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

As you would expect at a W the hotel is modern and unusual. My daughter had a nice sized room with all of the amenities you could want and as a platinum Starwood member we were upgraded to a huge suite with two balconies, one and a half baths,a large dressing room closet and double sink bath with separate toilet area. It was a great room with lovely linens and huge, soft towels. I just wish the bedroom had a few drawers for clothes.The hotel is well located to the many wonderful sites in Saint Petersburg. Our room came with a continental breakfast but there was much confusion by a poorly trained staff in the dining room about what was available. Internet access is limited to 3 devices. Watch your bill carefully. The night before we left we asked for our bill to make sure that when we were picked up in the morning we would have an easy check-out. We told the desk clerk about the errors and he said that it would be corrected. In the morning when we went to check out, the bill had not been corrected and it took 20 minutes for them to correct it. We had a nice stay at the hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear Atlantan1972,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback to W St. Petersburg! As you are our Platinum guests I’m happy that we had an opportunity to upgrade you. Let me take this chance to thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels. I’m very sorry to hear about the confusion with the breakfast and your bill. We will look closely into the issues that caused the errors. If you would like to share the details of your stay please reach me directly via this email: GMPeter.Katusak-Huzsvar@whotels.com. On the positive side I’m glad that you really liked your room and our amenities for you.
I hope to see you back soon,

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

St. Petersburg is beautiful in the winter (despite the cutting cold), and what made out stay extra warm was the attention we received at the W there.

Marina and her hospitality staff (especially Maria and Gaia!) are excellent. They seemed to take special care of us—maybe because we weren't the usual boring business travelers or impudent, hipster Americans that this hotel seemed to attract—and that really put the cherry on top of an excellent stay. The front desk staff was always willing to help us dig up the best places in the city to visit, and Gaia (our "Expert Insider") helped us scope out the best food and drinks . . . as well as reservations there. They actually took the trouble to address us by name each time they saw us, which added a real personal touch to our stay.

The hotel is located almost adjacent to St. Isaac's Cathedral, which is terrific. The Admiralty is virtually directly behind the hotel. You're a 10-minute walk from Nevsky Prospekt, a 10-minute walk from the Mariinsky Ballet Theatre, and a 7-minute walk from the Admiralty metro station. As far as location goes, it's a little off center, but still very centrally (or at least conveniently) located.

Our room was terrifically clean and kind of futuro (in a fun, not kitschy, way). We were on the top floor of the hotel (8 or 9), which meant we had a pretty view of St. Petersburg's rooftops and smokestacks. (See my Tip below.) The service staff supplied us with water bottles every morning and evening, in addition to Nespresso pods for our in-room machine. (There was also free coffee in the "living room"/lobby until 10:00 a.m. every morning—great since things in St. Petersburg tend to open on the later side in the winter.)

Ice water and snacks (cookies/fruit/chocolate) at the reception desk were a nice touch and made for a nice greeting each evening after a day of exploring the city!

(No free wifi, though we were given it complimentary for the duration of our stay for singing up for Starwood Rewards at the time of our check-in.)

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a view, and were upgraded from a "Fantastic" room to a "Marv...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Brian_Qawyer,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback to W St. Petersburg! We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood Hotels. We were happy to upgrade you and to compliment you with Internet in your room as a part of your SPG benefits. I’m glad you felt welcomed and comfortable at W St. Petersburg and that you liked the design and cleanliness of your room. It’s nice to hear that you found the amenities in your room and in the Living Room helpful and enjoyable.
Looking forward to welcome you back again,

Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

I stayed here for 5 days in a "MARVELOUS ROOM" on the 7th floor facing the courtyard which make it very quiet. I did see the Hermitage from my room. Besides being a modern hotel with all the facilities to expect a 5* hotel has, the staff was a really pleasant encounter. Very helpful, smiling, helpful and skillful. If I should put my finger on something it must be the size of the gym. There is only one treadmill there and for me running is the only option when working out. The breakfast had everything I require in the morning. Having a Nespresso machine at the room makes the stay perfect. The bar at the top has a great view to the St. Isaac's cathedral. They also have transport services to and from the airport with a Porsche Panamera or Porsche Chayenne. Try it.
It is very close to the Hermitage and Nevski prospect
I would definitely stay here again if the prices are reasonable. (Which they are not during summer)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear Hagenger,

Thank you so much for your positive review of W St. Petersburg. It’s good hear that you liked your stay. I’m glad that you valued the hotel location in the center of the city and liked the view to the Hermitage from your Marvelous room and to St. Isaac Cathedral from our miXup bar.
I am looking forward to welcome you back soonest.

Best regards,
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

Hotel facilities are nice and location is excellent, next to St' isaac's cathedral and 5 minutes walking to Nevsky prospect. As with other W hotels, decor is modern and stylish, live DJ in the lobby. Female staff is great and serviceable. Male staff could do better and won't even open the door . The guy who checked us in, whose name I cannot remember was not kind at all. There is no free wi-fi in the room. Our air conditioning system was terrible, very noisy and when I asked to turn it off, the central heating system was suffocating us. Our view was to the courtyard so not pleasant at all. I would say the hotel was nice but the overall experience was not worth what we paid.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, check your air conditioning works properly
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank stellarsupreme
Dear stellarsupreme,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at W St. Petersburg, I’m sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations. Thank you for highlighting the case with the air conditioning system in your room, we will look into it immediately. Regarding the view – we have both rooms with the view to the St. Isaac Cathedral and with the view to the quiet courtyard on the basic category, however it's always possible to upgrade your room with a small supplement to make sure you have a room on the 7th or 8th floor with city views. On a positive note thank you for valuing our location in the very heart of the city.
I hope to see you at W St. Petersburg soon,

Crystal River, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

We were treated very well. The person checking us in, Gala, actually escorted us to our room and explained everything quite well in English. I was able to ask about tipping customs in the country for restaurants, bell boys, taxi drivers, etc. and received nice explanation without feeling dumb for asking.

The room was very nice with solid sound proof doors to the bathroom. I like that. So many luxury hotels these days have glass bathrooms stuck in the corner where every embarrassing sound from bodily emissions is heard by others relaxing in the room. The bathroom had both a nice large bathtub and a nice shower with huge raindrop shower head. The bathtub and shower were separated from the rest of the bathroom by a clear glass door. The commode was private behind a second solid sound proof door. Plenty of counter space in the bathroom. The bed was a very comfortable king size bed, nice soft king size pillows, and we had a rollaway for our daughter which was very nice and comfortable for her. The view from the room was bad in that it faced another building toward the Saint Isaac's Cathedral. However, I didn't get the room for the view, so I don't care too much about that.

The location of the hotel was very nice. It was literally a block from Saint Isaac's Cathedral and also the Bronze Statue of Peter the Great, and we could walk to Nevsky Prospect, a busy street with various shops, places to eat, etc. We were also walking distance from Palace Square, the Hermitage Museum, Church of our Savior on Spilled Blood, Kazan Cathedral, etc.

The hotel was really easy to get a taxi from the airport. We said W Hotel, and everyone knew where it was. We almost got taken by a taxi driver at the airport, however. I kept asking him if he was with City Taxi because I heard that I should ask for the City Taxi to get the best rate, and not to use a metered taxi. He was asking for 2,000 rubles, but when I finally decided he wasn't being honest (he really did not speak English), I walked to the desk that had the City Taxi (he abruptly turned and walked away at that point), and I was able to get an economy taxi for 900 rubles. Be prepared that very few Russians speak English, and signs generally are not in English either. However, at the actual W hotel, it was not hard to find someone who spoke English.

The hotel has a beautiful indoor swimming pool that was a wonderful temperature even though it was snowing outside. Also, a very beautiful and clean whirlpool was right next to it. Also, there was a steam room and a sauna in the same area. Some rooms include the pool use, but others require extra payment. I paid extra for the pool use, but I felt it was worth it because there were very few people using it. Much of the time, I had it all to myself. The water was extraordinarily clear and clean. I don't mind paying extra for that.

The gym was small as expected for a hotel, but the equipment was top quality and better than the equipment at my gym at home. I felt it was very adequate for my use. They kept it stocked with water and towels. I really enjoyed my time there and in the pool, whirlpool, sauna, etc.

The concierge arranged a taxi to take us to the train station, which was only about 15 minutes away. We were going to Moscow from here and really enjoyed the train ride. The taxi they arranged for us was much better than the taxi that brought us to the W, and it was still at the City Taxi economy rate. We were comfortable and there was plenty of room for our luggage.

I would definitely stay here again. I highly recommend the W Hotel.

Room Tip: If a view is important, you should ask about it. Our room looked toward a street and right into anot...
1 Thank Bestware
Dear Bestware,

Thank you so much for your positive review of W St. Petersburg with so much attention to details. I’m glad you felt comfortable in the room, liked our king-size bed and a bathroom. The location of the hotel is very close to all the famous places for sightseeing and I’m glad you made some walks around. This is nice that you visited our Wet area with the pool, Jacuzzi and sauna and liked its cleanliness and temperature. This Wet area belongs to our signature Bliss spa and that’s why it is free of charge for the spa guests. Next time you can book some nice spa treatment and also get the access to the pool and steam rooms. Regarding the transportation – Also nice to hear that our Whatever/Whenever agents were helpful and organized a comfortable taxi service for you and your family.
Thank you very much for recommending W St. Petersburg and adding lots of tips to your review - I’m sure those tips will be valuable for other travelers.

Looking forward to see you soon,