“Whatever, Whenever is True Here”
Review of W St. Petersburg

W St. Petersburg
Ranked #19 of 361 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Wonderful location a stone's throw from St. Isaac's and a quick walk to The Hermitage. Plenty of bar, restaurant options are within walking distance. I really enjoyed my stay here. Personally, I found the staff to be super nice and helpful. Everyone spoke great English.

The room is well designed and the bathroom was lovely.

The front desk helped with taxi / car service whenever we needed it. We had room service one of the nights, which was pretty good. I had a massage at the Bliss spa and enjoyed a nice steam, then fell asleep at the indoor pool adjacent to the spa. Definitely the perfect way to end a day after touring. We also did drinks one of the nights at the rooftop bar. Worth heading up for the view of St Isaac's. I'm sure it's even better when the rooftop is open.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thank you so much for your positive review of W St. Petersburg. It’s nice to hear that our Whatever/Whenever service made your experience with us more comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you for recommending W St. Petersburg and for highlighting the benefits of the location of the hotel. I’m glad you took chance to relax at our signature Bliss spa. Spa treatments are indeed a perfect retreat after an eventful day!
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 26 May 2013

We had stayed in several W Hotels before, Barcelona, Miami and Maledives and following a friends recomendation we decided on trying the W StP for a long weekend. Since we were traveling from Germany we required Visa. The W reservation desk was very friendly and supportive with all the administrations which can otherwise put you off easyly. The Visa process is still a hassle though. When we finally arrived @ StP Airport, which is run down and extremely small for a city with 5Mio people, we were picked up in a Porsche Panamera by a seemingly speechless driver that swifted us silently through the after midnight streets of Saint Petersburg. Ariving at the Hotel there was a bit of a wait because there was only one staff at the nightdesk and that was busy with other guests - it was 2am. Finally checked in we dropped our luggage and had a drink at the outdoor roofterrace club, certainly a late landmark of SP. It does come at a price though. Expect 18€ for a Gintonic to start.
The crowd is hip and beautiful, ignoring the chilly breze and enjoys the night view of the opposite cathedral swinging to the clubsounds by a life DJ in the center of it all.
Breakfast is excellent in quality, however we were denied to use the more attractive tables with a daylight streetview and instead were "ordered" to choose a table from the cool but rather dim breakfast area, which has no daylight. The staff was either very young and friendly but struggling with the W.s professional standards. Others showed a lack of understanding for international guests alltogether and sometimes we had the feeling there was an attitude from the old soviet days that was rooting deep in some of the minds. As a result we had more than one "discussion" with some of the staff. When we were denied access to the roofterrace twice, once in the afternoon and once at night, because it was supposedly fully booked we had very little understanding - especially considering the price we payed for the room. Insisting on access and then finding out that it was actually no problem at all, didnt make us feel much better.
Apart from these rather unpleasant experiences we enjoyed the cool modern design of the hotel which can certainly compare to its international group members. The W StP is not about views though, so expect to either face the opposite building (which is probably nice once the renovation works are finished) or the quiet but not so charming backyard. Also the food and drinks are of excellent quality - but do come at a pricetag.
Apart from our little incidents, the staff was very helpfull and friendly and our "complaints" were settled in the end by an extremly friendly reservation manager.
Would we recommend the place? Yes. Because the design is outstanding and you get a lot of inspiration also for your own home. Would we come back? Not so sure. We might give it a try again depending on the reviews of others that are yet to come.

Room Tip: 4th and 5th floor towards the FourSeasons building
2  Thank LarsVielfrass

Dear Lars V,
Thank you for your review of W St. Petersburg and for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels. I’m glad that our reservations agents provided quality assistance with you visa and I hope it made your travel arrangements a bit easier. And I’m really sorry to hear that service provided to you in general didn’t meet your expectations. It seems like there was some miscommunication with miXup terrace team but in the end I’m glad that you spent time on the terrace and enjoyed the stunning view. I will communicate this issue with the team to ensure that every hotel guest has a priority to access the terrace. To mention the positive part - I’m very glad that you were inspired by the design of the hotel created by Italian architect Antonio Citterio and I really hope you will visit W St. Petersburg again and we will be able to surprise you with our service as well.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Excellent location, very comfortable, elegant, warm atmosphere. Very nice staff. Breakfast could be improved a little bit. I would recommend it both for leisure and business trips. UNfortunately I had no time for the SPA, so I cannot judge it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear PatriziaT,
Thank you so much for your positive review of W St. Petersburg. I hope next time you will save some time to enjoy our Bliss spa. It has great variety of treatments to match the guests’ needs. Thank you for recommending us!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We really liked this hotel. It has a great modern 'vibe' , the public areas are nice and our room was large, well-furnished and comfortable with lots of gizmos. The location is excellent; just across from St Isaacs Cathedral and a few minutes walk from the Hermitage.

The staff were lovely, especially the reception staff who were really helpful with restaurant bookings and other advice. We really enjoyed the rooftop Mixup bar, which is a great favourite with the city's beautiful people and we got to watch the Victory Day fireworks from there - champagne in hand.

The only disappointment were the breakfasts, served in the Mix restaurant. The buffet is small and slow to be refreshed. I ordered eggs one morning and they were served burnt and another morning the eggs never arrived at all! All this put us off trying the Mix reapstaurant.

We would however recommend the Mansard Restaurant a few minutes walk and with great views over St Isaacs Cathedral.

If I was lucky enough to visit St Petersburg again, I would definitely stay here but would breakfast elsewhere.

2  Thank Spineynorman
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Dear SpineyNorman,
Thank you so much for your positive feedback and for recommending W St. Petersburg. I’m very glad that you could feel our welcoming atmosphere and liked out rooms. I’m sorry to hear that breakfast at miX in St. Petersburg didn’t meet your expectations. We will share your comment with our B&F partner. On a positive note I’m glad that you liked our miXup terrace and that you we lucky to watch fireworks. Thanks to the terrace location in the very city center our guests are always able to witness all the brightest city celebrations. Besides I recommend enjoying a lunch or a dinner in the open air at the terrace and try the special summer menu to fit the mood of the white nights and fantastic panoramic views from miXup terrace.
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Reviewed 16 May 2013

We stayed at the W on our recent trip to St. Petersburg in May 2013. We picked it for its locations and reputation. The best thing is it's central location and minutes walk to most of the attractions and metro station. The rooftop bar has a fantastic view of the city but the drinks were not tasty. It was expensive as expected. The lobby lounge area was very appealing and relaxing. The front staffs were nice and helpful. The continental breakfast was WAY overrated, nothing special besides cereal, milk, eggs, and some fruits...table service was non-existent...definitely not worth it for $50 U.S. Walk around the corner for much cheaper better food and coffee at the numerous restaurants and cafes nearby. The room was averaged size and nicely decorated. Room service was below average for a hotel of this caliber...amenities were not replaced daily, floors felt dirty sometimes, towels and wash clothes were not replaced a few days thus prompting us to call to have it replaced. The towels were one of the hardest and thinnest towels I've experienced from a 5 star hotel...it felt more like a MOTEL towel...nothing luxurious in that department. For the price, I was expecting more like some of the previous W hotels in the states...thus, if you want to save some money or have better qualities, stay somewhere else. I would tell my friends to avoid this place.

1  Thank tom_houston10

Dear tom_houston10,
Thank you for your feedback to W St. Petersburg. I’m sorry to hear that your experience with the hotel didn’t meet your expectations. I must assure you that we have never had any issues with cleanliness in guest rooms and we have always been following our high service standards. We will definitely look into your case closely and we will take all possible measures to avoid this ever happening again. On a positive side I’m glad that you liked our location and panoramic views from our miXup terrace. I hope to welcome you at W St. Petersburg in the future!
Peter Katusak-Huzsvar

Reviewed 14 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the W St. Petersburg May 5-8, 2013. The location was perfect! It was a block from the Winter Palace / Hermitage, and just a few blocks from the statue of Peter the Great, and many good restaurants.

Peter and Paul Fortress, the Church of the Spilled Blood, and Nevsky Prospekt were also within easy walks.

The hotel itself was great. The room was spotless and comfortable, the staff was pleasant and helpful, and the rooftop bar is not to be missed!

I would definitely recommend the W for visits to St. Petersburg.

Dear MoveOut,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback to W St. Petersburg. I’m glad you benefited from the location of the hotel and made a lot of sightseeing. Most of the city attractions are really within a walking distance from the hotel. I’m happy that you liked the hotel rooms, our design and service in the hotel and I’m looking forward to see you at W St. Petersburg soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Truly the best hotel in st Petersburg !!! Location, great vibe, modern and trendy, roof terrace, super staff and amazing spa !
Impressive dedication of the staff , with good knowledge of English
The rooms are very comfortable
Room 802 was without doubt the best ! View on the st Isaac cathedral !
My room had a Nespresso machine complimentary use !!! And refilled every days with a great selection of coffee pads
A for sure 'return' address !!! Rather soon then later
Thanks for the great stay and for the amazing help with arrangements , advice

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Olivier V,
Thank you so much for your positive review of W St. Petersburg! It was pleasure to greet you in the hotel. I appreciate your feedback about our talents and excellent service. I hope we will not wait long for you to come back and you will still have chance to visit our miXup terrace which is open only for the summer time and white nights.
Best regards,