“Great location and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of W St. Petersburg

W St. Petersburg
Ranked #22 of 334 Hotels in St. Petersburg
California
“Great location and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

W is very well located among the city’s key tourist destinations: one block from St. Isaacs, two from the Admiralty, four from the Hermitage. The rooms are nice-sized for an inner-city hotel, have traditional W appointments (i.e., modern, sleek, white), and are very clean. Pricing is good for a major “European” city. We received excellent service throughout the hotel, from the bellmen to reception to concierge to housekeeping to the restaurant and rooftop bar. Staff provided excellent information and recommendations, was helpful with arrangements, and quickly met our every request.

The hotel houses an Alain Ducasse restaurant, and we ate dinner there twice. The food was very good – though not the stellar fare I’d expect to have from a Ducasse establishment – and the service was outstanding, highly attentive. The dining room and kitchen staff teamed up to help bridge our language barriers and provide fine vegetarian meals for one of us.

Our only complaint about this hotel was that there was little space to store our clothing. The sole closet was about 30 inches wide, with two drawers taking up space at the bottom. We were there for 6 days out of a 17-day trip, and had to work from/around suitcases the whole time. We’d recommend they lose the hammock-like easy chair and add a chest of drawers or armoire.

We will definitely stay at W during future visits to St. Petersburg.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear HeartfeltGratitude,
Thank you the review of your stay at W St. Petersburg and your loyalty to W Hotels Worldwide. We appreciate your comment regarding storage space and working on this issue. I am very happy you have enjoyed the service and the perfect location in the city centre as well as the food in miX St. Petersburg by the legendary Alain Ducasse.
We hope to host you again soon.

Mario Habicher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Utrecht
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Visited St. P. for a few three days in June as an extended trip from Moscow. I love the top tier SPG hotels, so didn’t hesitate to stay at the W. Checkin was a little rusty because of an earlier cancelled reservation on my friends name (which was booked under my name though), but staff was super nice in fixing it. Off hand, I always like it when you have a “real” conversation with somebody- instead of a fake polite one. This set the tone for my entire stay. Not just at the reception area, but in the Mixup restaurant as well.

When I mentioned my birthday 2 days ago, which was the reason for my trip- the waiter surprised me with a free birthday cheesecake. (and it was delicious).

Of course you get what you pay for in a 5 star property like this, but I still always appreciate these little touches.

I was personally escorted to my room. Room was a little small for what I’m used to but beautifully decorated, fully stocked minibar with variety, nespresso machine.Also the bathroom had a huge rain shower - so really can’t complain. Aditionally if you want more space, upgrade to a bigger room. I had a normal one.

Room service was always quick and I often time ordered when I went to gym etc requiring them to come back an extra time for signature. Staff was always friendly.

Spa downstairs has steam room and sauna and the massage I had was great.

Few flaws:
- room keys kept having issues
- Internet slow
- curtains didn’t close completely (not 100% dark)

Minor flaws, will def. stay here again.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a bigger room if you value space. Standard rooms are pretty small.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear WytzeNL,
Thank you for the detailed comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg and your loyalty to Starwood Hotels Worldwide. I am happy to hear that the hotel has met your expectations and you had a great Birthday celebration in Russia.

Almaty, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I chose the W in St Petersburg because I like W experience and while I did not expect it to be delivered in St Petersburg, it was familiar
We to my astonishment, W experience was delivered. Staff were fabulous, fluent English speakers giving service which was as good as what you become used to in Asia. The breakfast was great, the concierge (both of them on different shifts) delivered great service and connected with eachother to deliver the outcomes without me having to re-explain, etc. The advice was great, the guide and driver they organised were also great. In fact must have realised that I liked the driver I had who collected me at the airport and so they organised him for every occasion on the weekend. This way I had the same driver all weekend, almost my personal driver
The bar staff (rooftop during white nights so it was VERY busy) were a bit disorganised but they knew how to make cocktails (saying something in Russia) and delivered (even offered blankets as it was cold in the middle of the night)
The doorman were proactive and courteous, even offering to help with shopping bags.
I will only stay there when I return to St Petersburg
Rooms are great and amenities well thought through - Nespresso, speaker that accepts i-devices

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Bdette1,
Thank you for you detailed review of W St. Petersburg and your loyalty to W Hotels Worldwide. I am very happy to hear that you had a true W experience here and enjoyed the service and Insider tips by our Concierge team.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Fabulous hotel in a great location. The room was so modern and high tech. TVs hidden in the walls of my room in surprising places with great speakers. The bed was comfortable and the work space was great. I felt like a VIP.
The rooftop bar was fun with great views of the city.
Staff was very helpful in suggesting places to go and see.
I have booked my next to trips in a W hotel because if this stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Holly V,
Thank you for the review of W St. Petersburg and your loyalty to W Hotels Worldwide. I am very glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay here. Let me kindly sate that we like to treat every guest as a VIP and provide Whatever/whenever service.
We hope to welcome you back next time you are in Russia and we wish a great experience within other W hotels.

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I have been already 5 times at W. The hotel is excellently located and has wonderful rooms. The service is personal and quite unique for St Petersburg. Staff is friendly, helpful and kind. The rooftop bar is an absolute hit. The pool cd be a bit bigger and the breakfast selection is a bit limited.

• Stayed June 2014
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Shariputra,
Thank you for the review and your loyalty to W St. Petersburg. I am very glad that you enjoy the friendliness of our W Team & the modern design by Antonio Citterio.
We look forward to welcome you back at your home away home.

Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel. My husband and I spent 4 nights there. Great location and great service. We had a suite, which is more than enough for 2 people.
Their pool is a little small to my taste.
Breakfast selection is very good.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Tatiana T,
Thank you for your comment on your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I am very glad you have enjoyed the Suite and the breakfast at miX in St. Petersburg by Alain Ducasse.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Spent 5 wonderful nights here during my recent stay in St. Peterburg from May 13- May 18.
Hotel is the best boutique hotel that my husband and I stayed in on our recent month long trip to Europe and to Russia.
The rooms are very comfortable (we had a Marvelous room on the 8th floor). The bed amazing, and the bathroom with a separate shower were the best we experienced. Especially loved the Nespresso coffee machine with complimentary coffee!
A very special thanks to Marina Rogova, who made our stay there just delightful. Marina interacted with us daily and made sure that we were never in need of anything during our stay. Thank you Marina! Also thanks to Mario Habicher and the nice young man at the lobby bar!
The lobby was a great place to stop for drinks or just to relax next to the fireplace.
The rooftop terrace celebrated its seasonal opening during our visit and we were able to enjoy the amazing view of St. Isaac's cathedral.
I cannot recommend enough this hotel for any visit to St. Petersburg!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
W_St_Petersburg, General Manager at W St. Petersburg, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Letty0,
Thank you for the review of your recent stay at W St. Petersburg. I am very glad to hear that our hotel has become a highlight of your journey to Europe. Moreover I am happy you have enjoyed the service provided by our team, Nespresso coffee machine with complimentary coffee in your room and our signature W bed.
We hope to welcome you back again for the miXup bar season premiere.