“Smoking in the Hotel...” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of M-Hotel

M-Hotel
Ranked #16 of 331 Hotels in St. Petersburg
New Zealand
“Smoking in the Hotel...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We spent 4 nights at the end of June 2012.

The Good: Excellent location for tourists and hotel staff very friendly and spoke english which helped a lot. Room clean enough.

The Bad: Smoking in the hotel lobby and stairwells is out of place in 2012 in any hotel and made our stay very unpleasant. Smoking in the stairwells led to smoke smell throughout the hotel and it was strong in the corridors on our floor. We never got to try the included breakfast due to the smoking in the lobby drifting through to the restaurant. Water quality was very poor.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
M-h0tel, Front Office Manager at M-Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Dear MHotelGuest,
Thank you for your comments about our hotel.
We are glad to know that you found our location excellent and our staff friendly.
We are very sorry that you felt smoke in the hotel. Actually we don’t have smoking rooms in our hotel, only non-smoking, so we have to provide smoking areas for the people who smoke. These areas are lobby bar and staircase. And unfortunately sometimes guests can feel smoke in these areas of the hotel. We know it is unpleasant for the people who don’t smoke and make our best to prevent it (ventilation and installation of air fresheners). By the end of 2012 a new law is expected in Russia, which prohibits smoking in public places. After approval of this law, we can forbid smoking on the whole territory of the hotel.

Sorry for any inconveniences,
Kind regards
Front Office Manager
Anastasia S.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

My 10-year-old daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night. When we arrived in the afternoon, we desperately needed to do laundry - after several days traveling around Kem and Solovki, we did not have any even remotely clean clothes left.

Upon our arrival, I was disappointed to learn that the hotel's laundry service took a minimum of 2 days, since not only would we leave the hotel the next day, but also we needed clean clothes far quicker than that.

In our room there was a paper that explained the fact that the hotel's service took 2 days, and that listed alternatives "if you need to get this service as soon as possible."

I took that piece of paper to the hotel's reception, and asked them several questions about the addresses listed - notably whether they were self-service or not, and if they could show me on a map where they were located in relation to the hotel.

I was told that the first place listed, "Garant," was self-service and that it was located quite close to the hotel on at 29 Sadovaya Street. They tried to show me the location on a map, but they were not able to produce a map that showed the location of anything very clearly, so the map was not useful at all.

Trusting their oral assurances about the convenient location of the place and our ability to get our laundry done their quickly, I set off on foot with my 10-year-old daughter. It turned out that Number 29 Sadovaya Street was a very long walk from the hotel. My daughter and I walked in the hot sun, carrying heavy bags filled with laundry, for about 20 minutes before we found Number 27, and then Number 31. We looked around and asked a few people before we finally found what seemed to be Number 29 (it was tucked away in a courtyard), and closely examined the several businesses in the courtyard to finally discover a laundry-related business (there was no signage posted so it was impossible to know if the business we found was "Garant" or not).. When we went inside, we discovered not only was it not self-service, but that we would have to wait 3 days for our clothes to be cleaned. Needless to say, that was unacceptable, and we returned to the hotel in order to get more help (another 20 minutes in the hot sun carrying heavy bags).

Back at the hotel, the staff at reception insisted to me several times that I had gone to the wrong place because, they insisted, the place at 29 Sadoya Street was a self-service business that was located close to the hotel. I stood my ground, insisting that we had gone to Number 29, and that it was not close at all, that it was not self-service and that they could not do our laundry in less than 3 days. The staff consulted amongst themselves for a few minutes, and then they finally told me that the paper contains a mistake - that the correct address was 28 Sadovaya Street and not 29. They assured me that Number 28 was close to the hotel, and that at Number 28 I would find a self-service laundry place.

I was a bit suspicious at this point, and I asked if they could please indicate for me the next closest alternative, in case I could not find the place at Number 28. Rather than giving me a precise address, I was given another poor quality map where simply a dot had been placed at an intersection where I was supposed to be able to find an alternative location for self-service laundry. The dot was at the intersection of Kazanskaya Street and Gorokhovaya Street (not very close to the hotel).

I also asked for the address where I could buy laundry detergent, in case for some reason the laundry place did not have any. I expected to be told where the nearest grocery or "producty" shops were, and I was astounded when instead I was told to go to "Gostiny Dvor" and look around the shops there for a place that would sell laundry detergent! It was only when I protested that Gostiny Dvor was a great place to find designer clothing and souvenirs but that a more likely place for me to find laundry detergent was a grocery store that I was finally shown where a couple of grocery stores were along the way.

Again trusting their assurances (I did not have much choice, in fact), my daughter and I again set out. This time we walked about 10 minutes in the hot sun, carrying heavy bags filled with laundry. When we arrived at Number 28 Sadovaya Street, we discovered that about 100 small shops and businesses, if not more, share this address, as it corresponds to a very large building that occupies the entire length of that block of Sadovaya Street. My daughter and I spent about 15 minutes looking for something that corresponded to a place for laundry, but simply could not find anything - it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. We asked a salesperson in a men's clothing store if he could help us to find it. I gave him that paper that the hotel had provided, explaining that the reference ti 29 Sadovaya Steet was a mistake, and he kindly used his telephone to call the corresponding phone number to ask them where they were located. The directions he was given was for us to go to Number 29 Sadovaya Street! (That meant that there was no mistake on the paper - that the address 29 Sadovaya Street and the phone number provided with that address corresponded in fact and in full to the laundry place that my daughter and I had first gone to - in fact, the laudry place at 28 Sadovaya Street is not even listed on the paper, even with a mistaken address).

So my daughter and I set off for the alternative place at the corner of Kazanskaya Street and Gorokhovaya Street. It took us about 20 minutes to walk there, again in the hot sun and carrying heavy bags. When we got there, we could not find any sort of business that looked like it had a connection to laundry of any kind.

At this stage I called the M Hotel and told them that I expected one of their staff members to meet my daughter and me at 28 Sadovaya Street in order to show us exactly where the laundry place was located. They agreed to send someone.

When my daughter and I arrived back at Sadovaya Street, we went to the corner where Sadovaya Street intersects with Lomonosova Street, but we could not find anyone from the hotel waiting for us anywhere. When I called the hotel again to ask where I could find them, I was told that they were waiting for us in front of the laundry place, and were amazed that I could not find them. I responded that the very reason the person had come was because I had no idea where the laundry place was, so what why would they expect me to find them there?

At this stage, 2.5 hours had gone past since my daugher and I had first asked the reception at the M Hotel for help to get our laundry done. 2.5 hours of walking in the hot sun carrying heavy bags, 2.5 hours of time during which none of our laundry had been done. 2.5 hours of very precious vacation time wasted as we could have been sightseeing and enjoying the city.

The person from the hotel finally found us at the corner of Sadovaya and Lomonosova Streets, and took us to the laundry place. When we got there, I was grateful to find that there was an efficient and kind woman staffing the place and she helped us to finally get our clothes cleaned.

The entire hotel reception staff knew that they had provided poor service to me, but I do not think they thought for a single minute to offer me anything at all to help me to feel better about it, and to apologize. I fully understand that that would not be a very Russian thing to do, but that does not stop me from strongly resenting them - firstly because of them my daughter and I spent an afternoon of our vacation walking in hot sun carrying heavy bags, secondly because they simply refused to acknowledge in any way they they bore any responsibility for it, and finally because they extended no gesture of any kind to make up for it or to help us to feel better about the entire miserable experience.

To add insult to injury, when we went to pick up our suitcases from storage at the end of the next day (we had checked out that morning), we were told in a very stern manner that the staff had not found robes or slippers in the room when they had cleaned it. I responded, truthfully, that this was because there had not been any robes or slippers in the room when we checked in. This was met with raised eyebrows and the remark "we doubt that that happened but it could have."

In sum, the facilities of the hotel itself are fine: the rooms are fine, nothing to complain about and nothing to get excited about). The hotel's breakfast is certainly nothing to get excited about - limited choice, low-quality, bland options (and no fresh fruit except apples on offer, in the middle of summer!).

The real problem with this hotel is its staff. They are exceedingly slow, they are unreliable, and they apply no conscientiousness or professionalism of any kind to their work. (I have not even mentioned the fact that they needed a full half an hour to check us into our room, and that was without there being any other client at reception at the same time as we were).

In all, I was grateful to leave this hotel and I am grateful that I never have to go back again.

I've read how the hotel responded on Trip Advisor to another client who rated the hotel as terrible. I've noted that the hotel's response does little more than refute the claims the client made. It would be for better if instead the hotel's management would, at least to itself if not publicly on Trip Adivisor, acknowledge its shortcoming and attempt to remedy them, rather than deny them and carry on with such poorly trained and supervised reception staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Curiousgeorgette100
Dear Curiousgeorgette100,
Thank you for taking time to express your opinion.
Responding to your reference we can only apologize for this situation and make some notes of explanation about this.
We can only admit that we have Laundry Company where it takes 2 days to make laundry service done.
And we notify about that in the information folder in the room and suggest going on your own to another laundry companies near the hotel to make your laundry as soon as possible. The list of the companies which we provide to our guests is correct and gives enough information with the addresses and telephone numbers.
We are sorry you couldn’t find the desired address. But administrator provided you with a map and explanations how to get to that place, it was 5 minutes walking from our hotel. This address was correct, but when you came back to the hotel to tell us that you didn’t find it we gave you another address hoping that it will be easier to find for you. But when you failed with the second address and asked us to accompany you to the laundry - we didn’t refuse and sent you to help our administrator who met you on the street and led you to the needed address.
Dear Curiousgeorgette100, we know, that sometimes it is not easy to orient oneself in a strange city, especially when you see only Russian names on the buildings and can’t understand them. We understand your dissatisfaction but have no opportunity to accompany our guests outside of the hotel.
We apologize for this situation and will try to make additional agreement with different laundry company to have the opportunity to make laundry service faster than 2 days.
Sorry for making you to spent time to look for the laundry and hope it didn’t spoil your general impression about Saint-Petersburg.

Best regards,
Front Office Manager
Pinckney, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

We spent. three nights here in mid-June. The hotel is in a great location, right around the corner from Katherine the Great's park on Nevsky Prospect. We had a very positive experience all around. Rooms are well-appointed and quiet. Breakfast had a good variety of choices. We were able to walk to most everything we wanted to see. The hotel was a great value, from what we could tell. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Pinckneyite
, Front Office Manager at M-Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear Pinckneyite,
Thank you for taking time to express your opinion. We are glad to find out that you liked hotel location, rooms and breakfast. We hope that we will have the opportunity to match these expectations again on your future visit.
Kind regards,
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

This hotel is brilliant. The staff all speak English and go out of their way to be helpful. The location is very central yet tucked away from the main Nevsky Prospekt so quiet. There are also 2 metro lines nearby. Breakfast was good with a good choice and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Drinking water is available in the foyer.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Hotchick73
, Front Office Manager at M-Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Hotchick73,
We thank you for your positive feedback and we are happy that you liked staying with us.
Hope to see you again,
with kind regards,
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Wonderful hotel. The location couldn't have been better. Very short walk to two lines of the metro. Hotel reception staff were very kind and helpful in giving me directions, locating lost ballet tickets and checking me in quickly when I wasn't feeling very well. Major attractions very close by. Breakfast was great. The rooms are a bit small but that was not a concern. Wasn't in St. Petersburg to stay in the hotel room. After China, the beds were ever so comfortable. Favorite hotel of the trip.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Keppel123
, Front Office Manager at M-Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Keppel123,
Thank you for your loyal opinion about M-Hotel. We are really glad that you liked our location, staff and breakfast. Thank you and wish you all the best,
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Absolutely no problems with my stay here. Hotel was clean and modern, had a great location, and the WiFi was pretty good. Great hotel for a business trip!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Astrozon
M-h0tel, Front Office Manager at M-Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Astrozon,
Thank you for your positive comments about M-Hotel. We are happy to know that we exceeded your expectations and you liked our location. Thank you and best regards,
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

Good clean modern hotel, in a great location. Not on a main street, but well signposted. WIFI not up to scratch 24 at best but often down to 11 or 1, sometimes possible to connect to nearby Metropole restaurant for speeds of 46. As I had work to do, cafe Artisan around the corner, great WIFI 150 speeds. Breakfast at hotel was OK. although boiled cauliflower seemed a bit random.
room was clean, good shower. would stay again next time

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkBReading
Dear MarkBReading,
Thank you for taking time to express your opinion. We are realy happy to know that you liked hotel location, room and breakfast. We hope that unstable wi-fi connection will not spoil your general impression about hotel and we will see you again here. We have made all neccessary actions to fix this problem as soon as possible.
Kind regards,