Review Highlights
Easy to deal with.

We booked a 2 day tour that unfortunately had to be cancelled because the cruise was cancelled... read more

Reviewed 8 April 2021
HappyLolo2014
Coquitlam, Canada
Do not hesitate to book

This is an odd review as I did not go on MaxiBalt's tour, for almost a year we had planned our... read more

Reviewed 21 May 2020
kma4517

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Was very dubious before leaving England whether to book an independent private guide in St Peters burg or go on the cruise ships excursions, especially with the Visa situation in Russia. I was travelling with my husband and another couple

How pleased I was we took the leap of faith. Our Guide Tatiana was so knowledgeable and seem to know the private entrance to get into the Hermitage and other attractions on our itinerary which saved us so much time, by not going with a bus load of people.

We did fit an awful lot into 2 days, which was a bit tiring especially as we opted to go and see Swan Lake at the theatre at night, however as a one off visit, we got to see a lot in a short space of time.

I can highly recommend MaxiBalt Tours and the owner Alexei, who I Skype d before deciding on the final itinerary. His English is perfect and he is very accommodating and professional from start to finish.

From a monetary point of you, we spent less on the tours than if we had gone with the cruise company and had a minibus, guide and driver just for the 4 of us.

This is what we managed to squeeze into our 2 days

DAY 2
9:00 Meet at the Cruise Ship
9:00 - 12:00 Tour of the Catherine's Palace
12:00 - 13:00 Drive to Peterhof
13:00 - 15:30 Tour of the Peterhof Gardens (no inside visits), time for lunch in one of the coffee shops in the park
15:30 - 16:30 Back to St. Petersburg with a Metro tour on the way
17:00 Back to the ship

Date of experience: August 2011
5  Thank SueDevon_UK
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just returned from the Scandinavia and Russia Tour on the Jewel of the Seas. There were four in our group including my 15 year old daughter and 85 year old mother-in-law so quite an age range!

After booking our cruise we looked at the "captive" tours available through the ship and quickly decided that they were both costly and did not fit our needs. Research showed that visa exemption tours were available and, after consulting trip advisor, e-mails were sent seeking suggestions for our party. We chose MaxBaltTours as their outline took in most of the highlights with a schedule that looked best suited to the wide age range and previous TA reviews.

Booking is made through the website and mainly uses drop down boxes, there was a hiccup when the offered years in the date of birth section did not go back far enough for my mother-in -law. An e-mail got a swift response and the web page was equally quickly modified. The booking process was then easy and user friendly. Tickets and itinerary were printed off and carefully packed.

We docked at St Petersburg, presented our tickets along with passports and immigration cards and quickly cleared the system. Maria from MaxiBaltTours soon arrived, we were early, and we were off!

It soon was apparent that Maria both loved her city and was incredibly well versed in its history, architecture - in fact everything St Petersburg. I will not bore you with a list of what we saw on the first day but we had no queues, had time to enjoy the individual sites and the flexibility to change our schedule to reflect what we found particularly interesting. Due to the time spent enjoying Catherine's Palace and Peterhof gardens our lunch arrangements were changed with Maria suggesting a "Russian Pie Shop" near the Marinsky Theatre. The pies, and beer, were excellent and provided a reflection into local life.
Day 2 and it was off again staying more in the central area before arriving at the Hermitage. Again we were straight in, Maria had asked if there was anything in particular we wished to see but we opted for her to show us what she thought to be the highlights. This was a wise move as we were in the hands of a person who knows the collections well and equally importantly knew her way around the vast complex. In the time available we viewed a perfect balance of works from the amazing Impressionists to that of the master clockmaker with Russian history thrown in for good measure.

All too soon it was time to head back to the ship and say our goodbyes to Maria and our excellent driver Vladimir, who just seemed to appear whenever he was needed.

I did not fully appreciate the scale of St Petersburg until our arrival and MaxiBaltTours provided us with an exceptional 2 days with our whole experience being greatly enhanced by the friendliness and knowledge of our guide and driver.

We hope to go back to spend more time in this marvellous city and without doubt will call upon the services of Alexei and his team to assist in our arrangements.

Finally why "We saw so much, we saw so little"? Because that exactly describes our experience, St Petersburg just has so much to offer but MaxibaltTours ensured we got the most out of the limited time we were there and that is an awesome achievement.

Date of experience: August 2011
3  Thank MGTD2
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I am grateful to Trip Advisor for allowing me to share the wonderful experience that my wife and I with five friends had in St Petersburg June 1022

We were on a Baltic cruise with P&O on board M.V. Azura. The cruise itinery included two days in St Pertersburg. Before we sailed from Southampton I had booked two days of excursions in St Petersburg with Maxi Baltours which was the highlight of our cruise.

I am a great believer of listening to fellow passengers experiances, therefore when on a previous cruise to Alaska I was advised by a fellow passenger that if I ever cruised the Baltic to ensure at least two full days in St Petersburg and book shore excursions with Maxi Baltours.

The process of booking the tour was easy, I contacted the company through their web site
and I was able to decide with our friends what kind of itinerary we required and the company did the rest ensuring that I was kept up to date via E mail.

WWW.maxibalttours.com
E mail; info@maxibalttours.com
The cost of the tour was known from the start; I was able to make a small deposit with my credit card with the final payment in cash to be paid on completion of the tour.The booking process was so easy it took away ant preconceived fears that we had. The cost of the tour was very reasonable and was cheaper than the ships tours which were not so comprehensive.

What MaxiBaltours promised for the price was

A personal knowledgeable guide, fluent in English
A comfortable air-conditioned minibus with experienced driver, pickup at the ship 9am
Museum fees
Local taxes
Non visa arrangements, that means the ticket you print off for your tour is also your visa !!

All of what was promised was fulfilled

St Petersburg is a large city with countless treasures and wonderful sites to see therefore the visit must be organised with some procision to ensure you get the maximum out of it; I list as follows what was actually laid out for us.
Day 1
Tour of Catherin's Palace
Drive to Peterhof for tour of gardens
Visit for coffee
Visit and ride on Metro
Canal tour
Day 2
City tour and visit to Peter and Paul Fortress
Lunch at local restaurant
Guided tour of The Hermitage Museum

The information I gained from a fellow passenger in Alaska was good advice indeed and the promise made by the tour company was more than fulfilled.

I am unable to express how wonderful the tour was. This city is so full of beautiful architecture, palaces, history, canals, art, ballet and many other things.

I could go on detailing all the wonderful places we saw and experienced but the main advantage for our tour was travelling together in a small group made it easy to get in and out of attractions Compared to our fellow passengers who booked shore excursions with the ship, we were able to see much more than they did.

St Petersburg is a magnificent City, to get the maximum out of a short visit at reasonable cost then I can recommend without hesitation to book your shore excursion with this company.

Can I say through this review a very big thank you to general manager Alexei Volkov, driver Vladimir and our wonderful guide Arina for making our visit to your wonderful city so memorable

Date of experience: June 2011
5  Thank DavidWashingtonUK
Reviewed 25 June 2011

My wife and I spent two wonderful days in St. Petersburg , Russia this past June,2011. on the Costa Pacifica cruise ship. As professional travel agents in Chicago for many years, we were fully aware of the importance in arranging our own private shore excursion. Our main concern however, was selecting an experienced tour company that specializes in serving cruise passengers that would provide safety, dependability, comfort, and expertise, all within a pleasant environment. We believe that we made an excellent choice by choosing MaxiBalt Tours. Under the direction of the general manager Alexi Volkov, we were treated to two full days of carefully selected sightseeing of some of St. Petersburg's finest museums , parks, and palaces. The beauty of working with MaxiBalt is that although sample itineraries are suggested on their website, www.maxibalttours.com, Alexi will be more than happy to alter any portion of the tour to your liking.
As far as the tour itself is concerned, we were picked up in a modern air conditioned vehicle just outside of the ship, immediatey after we cleared immigration. MaxiBalt had taken care of all the necessary paper work , and emailed the required visas to us ahead of time. All the required steps and procedures are explained on their website. The result was a quick exit off the ship and through immigration.
We were fortunate in having an excellent tour guide and safe and courteous driver to take us to our selected parks and museums. We found them both to be extremely knowledgeable of Russian arts and culture. and very articulate. Their command of the English language was superb. Without hesitation, I would recommend MaxiBalt Tours to anyone looking for a superior tour experience, all at a very competitive price.

Date of experience: June 2011
3  Thank Michael-TA
MBTSt_Petersburg, Owner at MaxiBaltTours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2011

Thank you Michael for your kind words! It has been a pleasure for us to serve you and your wife. You are always welcome back!

Reviewed 6 June 2011

I read reviews from others before I contacted MaxibaltTours for my group of 40 people for the St Petersburg tour..Our Baltic cruise stops at St Petersburg port for 2 days. Alexei greeted our group at port terminal and arranged great 2-day tour with very knowledgeable tour guide... We all had great time in St Petersburg. Not only they offered good package with good price... they have the personal touch and very friendly staff. We will go with them again. Great company to do business with.

Marilyn from Sacramento California