Review Highlights
Easy to deal with.

We booked a 2 day tour that unfortunately had to be cancelled because the cruise was cancelled... read more

Reviewed 8 April 2021
HappyLolo2014
Coquitlam, Canada
Do not hesitate to book

This is an odd review as I did not go on MaxiBalt's tour, for almost a year we had planned our... read more

Reviewed 21 May 2020
kma4517

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Sorry this is a bit old, I found this review collecting dust in a documents folder I meant to post it long ago. Regardless, the review is still relevant! My family and I visited St Petersburg on a cruise we took in June of 2010. Considering the myriad of attractions and our limited amount of time, we decided to hire a Russian tour guide. Our criterion for selecting a tour company: small group (just our family), customizable, competitive pricing, flexible tour company, personalized attention, and knowledgeable about Russian art, literature, history and culture.
After extensive searching on the web and contacting several tour companies, we decided to go with Maxibalt tours. They embodied what we were searching for in a tour company. Alexy, the owner of the tour company, was the quickest in responding and most responsive of all tour companies we emailed. We requested that our tour be focused in Russian literature. They were very helpful in making a customized schedule, which allowed us to see many literary heritage sites that most other companies did not include. The price of their tour was comparable to other companies and much less expensive than the ‘recommended cruise excursion’.
When we actually got to St Petersburg we had a private van, a tour guide, and the owner Alexy who came along for the tour to make sure we had an enjoyable experience. He had a special surprise for us. He scheduled a meeting with Dmitri Dostoyevsky (The grand son of literary icon, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, author of Crime and Punishment) who gave us a private tour of the Dostoyevsky Museum. The tour was fascinating and very authentic. This is not the kind of service you would expect from a larger more commercial tour company!
They were also helpful in finding vegetarian dining for us. We saw some of the main highlights of the city which you would see with most companies, but we also had a chance to see things which you would not see normally and that is what I think makes Maxibalt tours different. Alexy was very accommodating. We had mentioned an interest in seeing the Vodka Museum, which was not on our tour schedule and Alexy reorganized our 2nd day so we could fit it in. Alexy and our tour guide, Maria, were very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Because they both we raised in St. Petersburg they had cultural insight which provided for many interesting conversations.
The boat tour of the city was a particular favorite of mine. Also, he provided an additional activity of seeing the Russian ballet Swan Lake at the Hermitage Theater as an option to us. The ballet was beautiful and reasonably priced. He dropped us off at our ship and provided time of us to get ready before escorting us to the Ballet. I doubt we would have had that option on a different company. Maria was also very knowledgeable about the art and history of the Hermitage since she has been going there since she was four years old.
All in all, the experience was everything we could have hoped for. I am confident that if you decide to hire Maxibalt tours, you will be just as pleased as we have been.

Date of experience: October 2012
MBTSt_Petersburg, Owner at MaxiBaltTours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Desiree!

Thank you very much for your detailed review. It's very rewarding to see that time spent in St Petersburg with us still stays in your mind.

Please know that it was a true pleasure and honor for us to host your family here. And of course we also do remember you and you are always welcome back!

Always at your service!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Excellent tour and perfect timing on all visits.
I recommend this company for everybody visiting this city.
We were all impressed about services offered by this company.

Date of experience: August 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

What a wonderful experience was it to tour with Alexei and his company!
They are knowledgeable, professional, and entertaining...It was more like having friends showing
You around their city. I was Late one day and the bus was full of other tourists waiting to start the tour..Alexei received me with a smile and just said: we are happy that you made it, yesterday you looked so tired that we were worried you got sick. How sweet is that!!

Date of experience: August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Maxi Balt Tours made our dream come true. We were set up to do a cruise of the Baltic Capitals. Our ship was to stop in St. Petersburg,Russia with an over night visit. I really wanted to go see The Red Square/Kremlin so my husband found this company who said they could make it happen for us. Alexei set up a private tour that took us to Moscow. He arranged our transport by plane and then our return by train. In Moscow we had a lovely tour guide who showed us exactly what we wanted to see. We were back in the ship by 12am.
Then the next day Alexei arranged our private tour in St. Petersburg.
Our visit to Russia was amazing and definitely the highlight of our trip!

Alexei Volkov was professional and really well organized. I recommend MaxiBalt Tours for your Russia visit.

Date of experience: July 2013
1  Thank Elisa D
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was a little concerned, at the beginning, there is so many tales and stories about things that could go wrong, but that was no the case this time; my wife and I had a really good time, Alexie made Us feel very comfortable, responded to every email right away and what's even better he answered the phone so you could talk to a real person and he will walk you through step by step. Nataly Drobot our guide was excellent too, on time waiting for Us, very knowledgeable, smarth and was always one step ahead so there was not a waste of time, very warm and kind person.
Thanks for the wonderful experience.

Date of experience: July 2013