“Mixed feelings”
Review of Maribelle

Maribelle
Ranked #194 of 974 St. Petersburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The entrance is scaring. If I was traveling with a girl, I would turn around at the exact moment I arrived. The door is a massive piece of metal and to find the hotel is not so easy, since are other doors with the same adress. The impression is that you are entering in a bunker and if something happen to you nobody will never discover. Some steps to reach the reception, and the girl tell you that you have to pay in advance (it's not specified when you make the reservation). Then she explains that government requires a registration of the guests and it costs 150 rublos (around US$ 4). I pay it (later on I discover that registration is required, but the fee is fake and this is the first scam). The lift seems be commissioned by Peter, the Great, since it is extremely old and damaged. To access the rooms, another bunker door. At this moment I was sure that I was in a mousetrap. After arrive at the room, the impression change a little bit. Room is spacious, bathroom is new and works quite well (but the shower doesn't have a good pressure), good bed. The walls are very thin, so you can listen everything from the other rooms, but the guests behave after 11 pm (at least I was lucky). Wi-fi is good, breakfast is basic, but ok, location is excelent: very close to tourist attractions, shops, ATMs, banks (for exchange) and restaurants. Street is very quiet, so I could sleep very well. Price is high if compared with a similar accomodation in US or even in Europe, but Russia is very expensive and the "white nights" are the high season in St. Petersburg. I asked the reception to book a taxi for me and comparing how much I payed from the airport and the distance of it to the hotel and how much I payed for train station and its distance from hotel, of course there is a scam among hotel and taxi driver. Anyway, I recomend for backpackers, people with small luggage and men travelling without women. Ok, there were many guests women, but for some reason, I didn't feel completely safe.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Averbuch

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel is in a good location and isnt bad at all but my experience was ruined by the staff.
I stayed there for 3 nights. On the last night I went to a near by bar. I stupidly tried to keep up with a group of Russian people at drinking. This was a terrible mistake.
As you will imagine, I was in a good state in following morning. As I tried to sleep off this incredible hangover I recieved a call at 10:30am to inform me that I needed to check out at midday. After the call I tried to go back to sleep, as I tossed and turned regretting my descions from the night before I recieved another call telling me I needed to check out at midday.
I managed to maybe get 25 mins more sleep. Only to get another call explaining I needed to check out at midday! At this point I slumped to my shower and tried to get everything packed up. As the clock stuck midday I was finally packed and ready to go, I decided to use the toilet before I exitted the room, as the time got to 12:03 i recieved a call telling me to get out of the room!
I was not happy. I was been kicked out of the hotel!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2013

As others have said, don't be put off by the outside of Maribelle Hotel. We found our large, clean bedroom and bath to be very comfortable, the best sleep we'd had in a while. The staff was helpful and their English was better than my Russian. Breakfast was the usual cold cuts, granola, bread, tea, cucumbers, fruit, etc.--filling and a good start to the day--and other guests really enjoyed the espresso machine. The breakfast room can become quite crowded at certain times.

Our room was on the first floor and did not appear to have air-conditioning. Only one of the two windows (new windows, by the way) had screens, so I don't know what the heat of summer would be like with the mosquitoes. At the end of May/first of June, we were comfortable and the area was reasonably quiet. Having free WiFi in our room was great.

The hotel is just a couple of blocks from Kazanskaya Cathedral, Nevsky Prospekt and the Metro, really an excellent location. You're close to Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood and Gostiny Dvor shopping mall, just to give you an idea.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JustATravelerWest
Reviewed 14 May 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Very good surprise. Don't be afraid of the external look (from the street). Push the doors and you will be nicely welcomed in a tiny corridor. The bedrooms are the best places in the building.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Francois H
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The Maribelle mini-hotel is extremely well located! The rooms are clean, large and well equipped (including WiFi). The buffet breakfast is good. Communication with staff is somewhat difficult. You can find nice coffeehouses/restaurants nearby where they have menus in English and service is excellent. Staying at Maribelle is a surprising but interesting experience: The hotel occupies 3 floors within a 'communist' building. This street door is of steel (notice the bullet holes in the glass above the door!), the entrance hall and the elevator date from the 1950's, the staircase is in dire need of repairs, the neighbors' apartments look original 1950. But once inside the hotel zone, everything is fine. We would return any time!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Bertrand48
Reviewed 24 February 2012

A perfect small hotel in the centre of St. Petersburg with very good service.
The cost-benefit ratio is also very good for this place. The rooms in the 5th floor are very big with a nice bathroom and air conditioning system and was very good prepared. So I enjoyed the time in this hotel and will be back very soon.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple